Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rip and tear ***UPDATED***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Sep 29, 2009.

1. You and me both :D

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man, I should see if the Red Fox would let me buy you a plane ticket to come out here and help me for a week or two. You definitely know how to get shit done. Are you painting this roadster like the frame or anything? Just wondering.

Keep at it, I want to be updated on this one and your fathers truck. Call Jordan up, that thing needs a drop axle!!!

3. Fuck, I got all the time in the world, fly me over :D We'll slam some beers and totally fuck your car up!!!!!!!

I am going to paint everything chassis wise, probably just a chassis black. The body will be pretty much left alone and I can do body work as I go. Then eventually painted (with a brush and then rubbed out of course)

Nope on the dropped axle under the pickup or the roadster. Sorry Jordan!!! I think I did decide on juice brakes for the roadster though, so can always slip a dropped beam in if I decide too ;)

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, looks like you are making great progress with your roadster. Will be watching as you work on it's conversion to V-8 Power !

41 Dave

5. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Chris, Your Dads Pick Up would look better in my driveway!! I have an A 4 door that needs a Flattie also. I hope you can show us how to get the job done without spending a ton of cash. Thanks

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool I can't wait to see that thing back together with the chassis painted. Should look pretty fantastical. Love the idea of painting the car with a brush like your buddy with the '27 Roadster with the Lesters. Love that car.

I'll looks up some flights right now...don't tempt me!!! Hahaha!!! I am spending the whole day tomorrow on my car. Pretty stoked.

7. You'd get your moneys worth on a flight, I prommise :)

NOW GET TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, You're making GREAT progress as always, Nice truck your dad has too!

Nick.

9. Worked on it a couple hours tonight. Got the K member and pedals popped apart and ready for blasting, and also scrounged up a spare cowl to get the engine were it needs to be and not too far back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. My Brother came over to visit from Seattle and we did a little mock up last night. It's tight, but seems to fit. The whole engine needs to come down a little, so it's going to have some steering box issues (making headers anyways). It's as low as it can go with the 33/34 front mounts, so I'm gonna try some 35/36 mounts as it should lower the engine down a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I bet that had to be a good feeling seeing it all mocked up and into place. I think the choice to supply this car with a V8 is a really good one. It's going to be cool.

12. Brandi

Brandi

Looking good, Chris. Can't wait to see it terrorize the streets with the flattie.

13. Thanks, I hope so :D

14. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

looking great! that is one awesome roadster. i liked it with the 4 banger, but it's going to look even better with the flathead!

keep up the good work!

15. Lookin good Chris....man you have some really tasty stuff lying around in your garage.

Great stuff !!

Rat

16. junk fiend

junk fiend

god damn i hate you so much:)

17. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Ya, your welcome. I did all the work why you were just sitting around slamming beers!

18. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great progress,Chris.Keep it coming!

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, The Flathead V8 looks right at home!

Nick.

20. Yeah, truth comes out. My Brother is the one who works on all my cars. I only drink and run the camera. It's like the Wizard of Oz and the man behind the curtain...

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Looks like you will getting one Neat "A" V-8 out of you collection of parts !

41 Dave

22. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Ha ha ha :D

23. Ok, messed with the engine/trans placment tonight and I think I about have it squared out. I lowered the engine down a bit. I now have fan clearance and firewall clearance. The tranny is now were it needs to go and it looks like the torque tube will bolt up no problem. Also note the lower hose outlets match the radiator outlets perfectly.
    The front engine mounts are just above the bottom rail on the frame, so I think I'm going to modify the front crossmember and add some pads for the engine mounts to sit on, like a 32-34 type front crossmember.

Also picked up an F-1 crossmember at the local junk yard. I may end up using it, it seems to work pretty slick and a lot easier than the 32 K member.

The only thing that does not really work out is the steering box. It runs into the exhaust manifold, but it looks like I can simply make a header to fit it. Also need to get a little longer fan for upper radiator hose clearence, and I have about 1 3/4" between this fan and the radiator so I have some room to work with.

Lots to say, but man I'm stoked this thing should fit :D Heres some pics!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Hey Chris, I missed what kind of steering box you are using. F-1?

25. spence-d

spence-d

Would love to see the F1 X-Member go in ..... would show a lot of people who can't find 32 X-Members that there's other options to go with that still utilise good old fashioned FoMoCo stuff.

Spence.

26. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

K-member....................

27. spence-d

spence-d

Zach,

Not familiar with how the F1 Tucks are set up,but what do they use For "K" support....and where do there pedals fit onto?

Shouldn't be too hard to rig something up anyways.....

F1's still scrape into 40's period also!

I vote for being different.

Spence.

28. spence-d

spence-d

Found F1 chassis drawing - apparently - no K-member....
    interesting...

Spence.

Attached Files:

29. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Inspiring, as I'm on a similar mission.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

The steering box and exhaust manifold were/are a problem on the '32 as well. The best answer I found was to sacrifice another set of manifolds, cut out the elbow bend and weld it into the set to be used on the car to give you some clearance. This picture shows it pretty well:
    [​IMG]