Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old drags !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jokerjason

jokerjason

Man I sure miss old drag racing. I just spent over 300.00 getting updated equipment for my 55 so it meets all the safety stuff. I am not bashing the safety of it at all but please explain to me how a flexplate shield goes bad, or how seat belts that have 10 -20 runs on them go bad and have to be re-certified every 2 years??? Anyways, I have been considering putting the car back on the street to get more use out of her....just can't drag race like I use to and man I am getting sick and tired of being in the same staging lanes as new trucks and hondas. Just my opinion, have a beer and smile, JOKER JASON.

2. Verminator

Verminator

YES, IT SUCKS !!! I've got belts that were worn once, when I blew the car up and are N/G In the past 15 years, Ive got quite a collection of them. What's worse is NASCAR and round trackers really use them harder and they're good for 5 years !!!! Maybe drag tech guys don't want to touch dirty old belts!!!!

Aren't there any nostalgia Race Clubs near ya, so you don't have to run with them new-ass cars?

3. I feel for you but, can you feel for me? I have a front motor Top Fuel car.
    $200 chassis cert each year
    $100 diaper cert each year
    $400 blower bag 2 years
    $150 clutch each year
    $175 bellhousing 2 years
    $150 belts 3 years
    Now, I have to spend about $1,000 to upgrade my 10 pound fire system because of changes.

As far as parts going bad, yes they can.

A flexplate can be modified or damaged, they can crack and I have seen many that have.
    Belts? use does not matter as much as time does. The stitching can go bad with exposure to the sun, plus they can wear from being rubbed on get fuel on them, get burned, etc. without recerts, there is no way for the sacntioning body to know if the safety equipment is in good shape or not.

I am not making the California Hot Rod Reunion in a few weeks partly because i cannot afford all my needed recerts. That is just how it is.

I am not just a racer but, I also am a promoter and host a few races each year. Knowing things are current reduces accidents, injuries and deaths.
    I love old drags as much as anyone does but, a lot of people got hurt and a lot died and also killed spectators too. Gotta remember the good with the bad.
    Steve

Hosting-
    1st annual Pontiac/Buick/Olds Fall Fest sat nov 28 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Sunday April 11
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    make plans to attend

4. jokerjason

jokerjason

Man I Know what your dealing with some good friends of mine out here in Cal ran 2 jr. fuel dragsters then went to A-fuel, (Jim and Stacy Paul)I totally agree with the safety, I am just bummed it's getting to be so expensive all the time. I use to run the Goodguys drags out here for about 10 years but they got kind of old after a while, waiting all day and making one dial in pass but hey thats a better day than working. I wish I could make it this weekend to the Dos Palos 1/8 mile hot rod drags and as for nostalgia drags, goodguys doesn't have them anymore at sears point or sac raceway and man I love Bakersfield but it's a 9 hour tow for me. Man Applecrate, seeing what you have to cert all the time makes me look like I am bitching for nothing!!!! Thanks, JOKER JASON.

5. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Like you guys I am tired of recerting everything on my car. Most all my safety stuff gets recertified by the mfg so at least I do not have to buy new. However....

Our local track (not NHRA) has no tech. The only car I have ever seen them inspect was a 7 second door car. I can run my FED on any track and pass, but I do have some concerns about the guy in the lane next to me who probably could not pass tech if there was one.

I realize there is a huge difference between getting my trans shield, belts, and chassis stickerd and a real inspection at the track, but I do not want to skimp on safety either.

How many racers would continue to run the same sun bleached saftey belts year after year if they did not have to have them recertified?

6. Dustin Cottrell

Dustin Cottrell

How many people get hurt and killed every year with all their safety equipment up to snuff and certified? Not just drag racing but all racing. I had a friend from work get killed in his modified dirt car this year and he had everything new and up to date. When your time comes it comes. I believe it all comes down to the money. There is no way that in 2 years that seat belts go bad sitting in an enclosed trailer or your garage. I realize you get some sunlight at the racetrack. But I doubt it's enough to comprimise the belts in that short amount of time. I have a 1967 Mark Williams dragster that I race at outlaw tracks for this very reason. It even still has a 3 point cage. I would have to spend $5-7,000.00 to update it doing the work myself to go NHRA racing. I won't be doing that any time soon. I guess we all have to make the decision of what's best for us. I run a sfi balancer, flexplate etc. and I check things on a regular basis for cracks etc., even my frame. We all no how chromoly cracks. In five years I have only repaired 2 small cracks. Most brand new dragster frames will crack that much. I am saying this to those who will ask if I care about others safety around me. For those that don't like running at outlaw tracks against outlaw cars--don't. Just my 2 cents worth.

7. the shadow

the shadow

$$$$$$ thats what it's all about, Mfr's don't want to sell a product that will last indefinetly (if taken care of) they need re-peat sale's.$$$$$$$
    so agreements take place with sanctioning bodies that make sure that if parts aren't re-ordered they are re-cert'd.