Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A 2 speed Overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Oct 6, 2009.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A friend of mine is looking to find/buy a nice '29 Ford 2 door sedan. He found what he wants in Chico Ca. BUT the guy doesn't know much about it except it has an electric overdrive? Is this stock, aftermarket, or?
    Anyone know of a nice, black, stock as hell '29 A 2 door sedan for around $7500 -10k'z? Anyone in Chico Ca. want to inspect said "A"? Thanks

2. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

He might be referring to a columbia 2-speed rear axle

3. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

There is a A/M overdrive out there for a Model A. You have to cut the torque tube and shaft to install it. I think "Mac's" A Parts sells it in New York State. They could be a source of Info.

Tinbasher

4. doctorZ

doctorZ

it may also be a mitchell unit. new aftermarket, but i have heard very good things about them. i have also heard of using one from a volvo and putting it in the middle of the torque tube. i don't know much about this conversion, but i have seen it done.

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Gear vendors OD?

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not 100% sure, aren't 2-speed columbia rear axles vacuum actuated?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If electric, it is probably a '50's BW OD spliced into the torque tube...common mod, commercially available though the parts are getting rare. People also spliced some sort of British one, Laycock I think, from old Volvos.
    Now...Mitchell makes a bolt-in mechanical one, spliced into a new tube, and Gear vendors sells a unit that comes with adaptors to help get it into a tube.

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Thanks to all , will have pic's & more info soon.
    Bruce, sorry for your loss and want to thank you for all your positive contributions to the HAMB and it's followers................ Lon