Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing Pinstriping (Paint)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54Search, Oct 3, 2009.

1. 54Search

54Search
    from nh

Just wondering if any of you could help me out. Looking to remove some pinstriping that's been on the fender for a few years. It hasn't been cleared over.

I have zero experience with body work. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks for your time...

2. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Hi, Welcome to the HAMB. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here. If 1 Shot was used for the stripes, Eazy-Off oven cleaner is supposed to take it off. I've never had that actually work. The only luck I've had is to buff them off.

3. skullhat

skullhat

ive used the oven cleaner trick when dealing with factory paint, but if the cars been repainted, you might be taking off more than you want.

skull

4. RDR

RDR

should be one shot or lacquer paint...I know the lettering on doors or signs on trucks can be removed with oven cleaner...seen it done on many used trucks...shouldn't hurt enamel or other types of paint besides lacquer....still leaves the ghost of what you've removed though as the paint under the striping or lettering hasn't had the UV's fading it like the rest of the panel....Anyway my 2 cents worth....RDR

5. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Test in an inconspicuous spot 1st.
    After spraying on the easy off, place a piece of plastic wrap over it to keep it from running off/evaporating to quickly. Given 10-15 mins it should wipe off.

6. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I wet sand w/ 1200-2000 and run a buffer over it. It comes off quick with little effect on the paint.

7. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I would try using paint reducer. Alot of people that stripe with One Shot don't use hardener. I've been able to get some of my stuff off that has been down for quite a while with just reducer. Oven cleaner sounds a little harsh, but I've never tried it.

My two cents,
    Mitch

8. Removing pinstriping can be a little tricky.A number of factors to consider are:
    The type of paint used.
    The approximate age of the striping.
    The paint it was applied to(factory;aftermarket;single stage;etc.)
    The color of the base and striping(if you are trying to remove red pigmented colors over a white or light colored surface,forget it.The red stains the white.).
    Whether the striping has been layed down over clear.This is especially difficult to remove without damaging the clear coat as you cannot see how much material you are removing.

Easy-Off oven cleaner can be used to remove 1-Shot and similar enamel paint but as stated before it can damage the base paint.It should be tried on an area not normally exposed and never left on for more than a minute or so.
    I have used a product called,"Heavy Oxidation Remover" which is used to renew fiberglass gel coatings in conjunction with wax and grease remover with some success.Be advised it is an abrasive on the order of polishing compound and should not be used on clear coatings.
    Use a soft cotton rag with the mixture and rub diagonally across the striping;changing surfaces often to avoid scratching the surface and clean off frequently to observe progress.

Why don't you post some pictures so we can see what it looks like.

9. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

I agree with Safarinut. Also I've used a product called "Wil-Bond", it's a product used to chemiclally sand a surface before painting. Wear latex or better gloves no mater what you use. Apply a small amount directly on the stripes, if it starts to soften then continue. If not take it to a reliable body shop to have it sanded & rubbed. (you'll need to do this anyway after the stripes are gone.) DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER! We only use this product to remove painted lettering. It is very aggressive.
    Hope this helps.

10. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

I use a brand new single sided razor blade but you would have to be used to the feel of it gliding over the paint surface as you can cause serious damage to the paint. safe way would be as Philly the Greek said and wet sand and buff.

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Windex paper towels. Let the Windex soak on the paper towel place over the pin strip in will soften the glue. This will work on the tape kind.

12. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

An old striper told me years ago to use denatured alcohol. I've done it a few times with good results. you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

13. short step

short step
    from ludlow ma

The razor blade works , but put a layer of masking tape about a 1/2 in apart and scrape between the tape so it takes the stripping of but leaves the paint and the thickness of the tape to sand with 1200 then buff . The more tape you use the more you leave to sand. Works on runs when painting too , let them dry , scrape and buff
    bob

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009