Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Like so many others on this thread, Spike, you're more than a friend whether we've met you or not. You're a valuable resource. Ya been dere and done dat.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney

racer5c,

That was taken during a track test day at Orange Show fairgrounds in San Bernardino Ca. just a couple of weeks ago. 1/4 mile track. WRA will be running there this coming Saturday, the 10th.

We'll be there too if I can get all the dirt off of it from Ventura last night. Crowd loved the old car and one driver with a current sprint car said our car made his car look like a Super Modified! Old man had a great time and super, super nice people at Ventura.

3. racer5c

racer5c

Man what a weekend!!! Winchester Speedway, I got to drive Dave Weirs neat little V8-60 Midget Saturday, and Jim Graybeal's Sprint Car Sunday, I was by myself Saturday so I don't have any pictures of me In Daves Midget but here is one in Jim's Sprint Car, Thanks Jim and Dave!!!

Attached Files:

4. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

And then...
    You get to watch Wind Tunnel with your buddy Romero talking about your brother. Cool to hear some of the old stories from Foyt and Gene. The show was too short.

5. racer5c

racer5c

They need to do a whole show on Burrito!

6. racer5c

racer5c

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Had to be a thrill, Roy. Thanks for the photos.

8. Rotta14

Rotta14

Any more pics of Chuck Hulse in the # 23 Don Kischell midget ?

9. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Joe;
    Who is restoring the Vargo Sprinter!
    You said earlier that a guy down this way does your upholsterating work. What his name be Musselman?

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

indybigjohn;
    Thanks much also; i wish i had your knowledge of the whole sport!
    I just didnt think there were still so many great people in the sport!

11. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Had a great time at Winchester Sunday. Finally got to meet many HAMBers in person. Seeing the cars on the track really motivates me to have mine done for next year. It looked like so much fun driving on the track. The quality of all the vintage cars was outstanding.

12. jimg12

jimg12

Roy,
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I enjoyed seeing both of my cars on the track at the same time, never had seen them on the track before as I was always driving. Glad you had a good time, I know Andy [Root] did. I had a good time driving Sat. Was glad to see old friends and meet a few new ones. Think everyone had a great weekend. Thanks Gene.
    Jim Graybeal

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hey guys: Help me out if you can. I own a 1976 Stapp caged sprinter. I bought it in 1985 from a fellow by the name of Jerry Brewer in Brownstown. Anybody know any history.All help will be appreciated. John Stickley

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Baldtireguy.. Did I talk with you already? If not, let me know and I'll PM you Stapp's number.

I've talked to a few guys with Stapp cars lately, can't remember them all. :D

Thanks,

J Shaw

15. racer5c

racer5c

Jim, were you able to save them from where I posted them?

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

Mr Shaw: I dont think we have talked before. [email protected] will reach me.
    Thanks!

17. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Spike,
    My upholstery work is done by Jim Hartman in Telford. The Vargo car is currently owned by John Haines and Iam not sure where he lives. The car is currently in Reading.

18. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Hi Joe;
    John Haines was my boss for over twenty years. He started a two man construction company which now involves over 60 companies! The name of his Corp is H&K Corp.
    I heard he was getting into collecting old race cars, to go with his huge truck collection. Very nice guy who always gets what he wants!
    The upholstery guy i am not familiar with in Telford.

19. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Ditto, great time at Winchester. Spoke with many of the HAMBers. Funny how some of us knew one another by name, but not by our names on this thread. The down side to going to Winchester is now I really want to do an old midget. It just looked like to much fun!!!!

Blacki-Suede

20. tractorguy

tractorguy

There are Andersons in Joliet Il. area that have owned and raced midgets for a long, long time. Jimmy Anderson was points champ at Joliet Il. track in midgets this last year. I will PM you with contact info for him and his mother who is team owner.

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Done.. :D

22. To all the folks that came to the Winchester Old Timers...THANK YOU! It was cool to see Roy in Jims Sprinter and Jim to see you in it also. Wish the weather had been a little nicer for Saturday. We had 36 vintage cars on the track at one time Sat. Night. We had 27 on the track on Sunday. To the guys that went to the WOT this weekend, I wish you would have looked me up and said 'hello'.
    To see the vintage cars formed up 3 wide and doing a drive by wave, got the crowd into it. We had Sham carry the flag for the Nation Anthem in his '48 Ford pickup pulling a sprint car on an open trailer like one would have seen in the '50s.
    We were pleased how the event went and how well the drivers did such a good job on the form up laps.
    Thanks again and job well done drivers.
    HG :cool:

23. jimg12

jimg12

Gene,
    Thanks for all the work you did and the way all things worked out, great car turn out and things turned out smooooth, thanks again,
    Jim Graybeal

24. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Ditto!

25. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Jim I had great time! Thanks for the oppertunity! Its not everyday that you get to drive a car that has had so many great drivers in it. It was great to get to run along side Roy. Big thanks to Gene also!

26. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Looks like everyone is on here tonight!

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry I couldn't make it Gene. Looks and sounds like it was a great time!!

see you soon.

J Shaw

28. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

More Winchester pictures

Attached Files:

29. racer5c

racer5c

There were so many incredinble cars there it was impossible to pick one favorite, but three really jumped out at me, make that four The Hisso, The Mc Dowell, The Tractor engined car, and the Miller replica and I only say replica because the gentleman building the car has built the whole car, when I say built I mean ha has made his own castings, machined them, built his own frame, had the rails bent up at the same place the Chevrolet Brothers had theres done. I wish I could quit my job and sweep floors for him just to learn how to do the work he does. Oh and the Shaeen v-8 60 midget that ran the exhaust out the intake and the intake in the exhaust was pretty damn cool too, almost fort it is reverse rotation too. Well heck i am forgeting the big car with the overhead intake valve conversion, the head was a one off. if I keep going I will be at 40 favorites. Hope I;m not posting to many pics but here is Dave Weir's gorgeous v-8 60 I was lucky enough to drive Saturday

Attached Files:

30. racer5c

racer5c

Couple More of Jim's car

Attached Files: