Register now to get rid of these ads!

Circle of life. Old cars in Maine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5foot2, Oct 3, 2009.

1. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I've been picking up odds and ends this summer for the 30/31 RPU on new 32 rails I have in mind. Last week I picked up a small journal 327 long block and TH350 for a few hundred. Today I picked up a set of early/mid 60's 283/327 heads (the 327 block has 70's 307 heads on it). While talking with the guy and telling him what I have in mind he mentions an old yard along the side of the road in a neighboring Town filled with old tin. Turns out he was right. It's the same old story of a fella that horded cars and wouldn't sell anything. The old fella has passed and some of his kids will sell. I'm going to try and contact one of the kids and see if I can cobble up enough sheet metal to fab something resembling a PRU body.

I'm not good at identifying cars of this vintage and most of it's in really bad shape. I did see a few that looked to be A's, but most of the chassis were sporting parallel leaf springs and inline sixes. It was almost exclusively sedans but I saw one roadster and what was left of a coupe. The floor of this stand of wood is littered with fenders, gas tanks, axles and misc parts. I'd guess that hardwood trees around these cars are at least 50 years old.

Keep in mind this stuff starts only 20 feet off the road and none of the pictures are more than 40 yards into the woods. This stash is north of Bangor Maine, FYI.

http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo1.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo2.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo3.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo4.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo5.jpg
    http://www.5foot2.com/forum_pics/photo6.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. Some of that sheet metal looks good. You could make 2 dr. sdn outta the 4 doors and get whats left of that roadster.

3. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I'd like to know what some of these cars are. Anyone in the know, please share.

4. F&J

F&J

First one is 32 chev or pontiac

third pic with back view of a car at 45 degree looks like a mopar rear fender tail. Hard to tell with little to go on.

roadster, looks like 29/30 mopar beltline detail, but little else can be see, out of focus

5. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

look to be mopar products, definitely no Model A's there in those pix

6. Wheelless

Wheelless

I have been there. I have heard a couple stories about that guy and tried to buy some things a few years back. I was told there was a documentary of some sort, filmed by a producer from New York(maybe), about this guy and his collection. It's pretty neat to drive into for sure.

7. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

The way I understand it, the old guy's passed and all but one of his kids are willing to sell stuff. Once I manage to contact them (hopefully the ones that'll sell), I'll pass on the info. After I pick the place clean of course.

8. This is Bishop's old yard...in Lagrange Maine...someone just posted that someone bought all of the cars...there crushing all of them...

9. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Am I missing something, Did John Bishop pass away this month?
    Someone please tell me the old man is still alive!

-Torr

10. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

hell no he aint dead,he's still drivin truck for JR.,he,s only in he mid 80's.still sharp as a tack and if he takes a shine to ya he'l show ya the shit behind closed doors and quote a FAIR price!!!! he's not crushing behind the house where the most compleat cars are.we got cars last fall and just bought 10 more today.most will become vintage racecars but not all

11. Doh ! I guess the thread starter learned a lot today :)
    maybe with some phone calls you can get some of the stuff they plan to scrap for the going prices.

12. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

ck giginators post ,he beat me to it by a couple hours but only cause he uses all his fingers to type.bet HIS ol'lady won't be happy when HE gets home

13. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

related posts are ''heads up mainers'',also'' crushing news''

14. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

It's the same old story of a fella that horded cars and wouldn't sell anything. The old fella has passed and some of his kids will sell.

my greenbacks are ALWAYS welcome at bishops and SR. aint dead,he,s just sick of ''be back'' ''tire kickin''''wanna be's''. make an apointment,don,t open doors or hoods without askin and don't try to bullshit ,he's heard it all and don't wanna hear any more.just a hint,he likes to talk trucks,the more gears the better,its a pluss if its red and can put out a fire,he might have been firechief for half a century,don't know for shore but he walks the walk and can talk the talk,just don't be in a hurry and NO lies,also don't pick shit up and then put it someplace else.in other words best behavior,junkyard manners.listen alot talk a little

15. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

I'm not in the know, but, that first picture looks like a hudson, maybe a '29? I've got an Essex with that same beltline. ????

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

If old Jim were dead I'd be REALLY surprised... he looks like he will outlive me.
    I'm really glad to hear he's not crushing all of it, but I can't be there today because of a wedding - yeah Mark, keepin the ol' lady happy.
    I'm hoping I can scoot by tomorrow and get a few things.
    Perley, the only Essex stuff I saw out in the 20s-30s yard was a 4 door sedan sunk right up to the beltline.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rust, yes. Some a tad banged up, yes. BUT, not bad for being some 80 years old AND sitting outside most of that time!

I hope a few of these get to ply the asphalt again, in some form. Fun even just to look at. Hard to believe there are ANY still left out there!

18. studematt

studematt

All that stuff looks like it is right off the side of the rode.

19. In the second pic theres a wishbone and axle that looks like it could be from a 32,33'or 34. From the pic the bones look longer than a model A.

20. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I was just passing on what I was told. There's a reason hearsay isn't allowed in court, it's rarely accurate.

I'm happy to hear it's not all being recycled and I'm even more happy to hear the original owners still kicking and willing to deal with good people.

Anyone have a number to contact the guy?

21. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

we bought 12 cars,1 model A trk,and the early dodge hi top,a couple trailer loads of motors cyl heads axels,ft and rear, tin,hubcaps,ALL at a fair[and i'm cheap] price also grill shells and too much other stuff to rember.one of the scrappers spent the whole day landing the cars and parts roadside.
    this was NOT a hoarder,he just got tired of walkin the yard for 'be backs,tire kickers and wanna be's' there is still a lot of stuff there,they are taking the money stuff first[# 1 steel] all the 1 ton and larger trucks and busses. so get off ur ass's and go look, but BUY something .don't waste his time! if u want to just look at old cars go to OWLS HEAD pay the $$ and bother those guys LOL

Attached Files:

22. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Let me clear this up. I was only passing on what I heard. I'm ecstatic this fella is looking to sell.

I'll be up there in the morning. The place I was at was a mile or two past the La Grange fire house, is that the correct area? Where/How do I contact the owner?

Thanks.

23. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

posted pics; 39 plym coupe,pile of cranks[sold],u tell me?,nice stude nose,graham compleat minus wood,square lug nuts?[every car has a story],41 buick also some hubcaps,air cleaners and a neat ''cresent tools'' crate .go buy some stuff guys b 4 its gone,plenty 2 chose from!! ask ole bone! he came out with a model A cab 34-35 compleat rolling ft end, another axle and a smile a yard wide! good 4 him!

Attached Files:

24. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I ran into the rest of AA he pulled the cab off of, wishing I made it there before him. I made out well enough today. I am going to stop by the place again early in the morning to grab some cross members off of a twisted A frame and to eyeball that 40ish Chevy COE again.

25. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

this was some pics rosie took today so there is still some stuff but its going fast.i know these cars aren't up to the standards that some people build with but the price is cheap

Attached Files:

26. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

well? COE new home?

Attached Files:

27. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Sadly no. Monday was an 18 hour day running to southwest NH to pick up a 30 model A and I'm flat out busy for the rest of the week.

28. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

like u need another car/truck!just like the rest of us.can't stop can ya?

29. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

What I "Need" is a 50-52 ford 8N tractor with a back blade. A mechanically sound working tractor is what I'm searching for. Of course my wife would debate the "Need" part of that statement, but fortunately she's on board with adding yet another old rusty mechanical toy to the collection.

My kids are in love with the old A. They want to play on it like it's a jungle gym, but I'm not sure if they've had their tetanus shots yet.

Do you know when the scrappers will be done up there?

30. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

scrappers have till after mud season ,summer 2010,pm me about a nice tractor for cheapw/fresh motor
    i just traded a nice model a frame for a 1/2 dozen lobsters LOL,but most of my stuff is NOT for sale
    you are welcome to stop by and ck out 'up back'