Register now to get rid of these ads!

Could Nitrous be Traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by castanonkustom, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ruler.

Please come to the Hamb Drags with that shit :D

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

traditional way to use it,,you know the plates under the Holley 2bbls ?? with the vacuum tube ?? Feed the Nitros into the motor through that :D

didn't have or were not aware of ?? We have to think evolution here..I did exist but when was it used in a hot rod application ?? which has kinda been mentioned

Also there were back woods and not so back woods high tech things going on,,and not until something was noticed at a track or some street race ,,would /did folks become aware of it

3. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

no. nitrous belongs in the dentist office Not on a hotrod.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

Some guys here talking about Nitrous used in WW2 aircraft.I have piles of books on combat piston aircraft engines,those who built them and those who maintained and flew them.Nitrous was used by the Nazi's on some fighter aircraft and a single squadron of British Mosquito bombers used it.Never the USA or Japanese outside of a few experimental setups.The Nazi engine aslo used a alcohol/water injection to supress detonation when Nitrous was injected.
    But I bet some US plane mechanic hot rodders may have fitted a US fighter with nitrous taken from a captured Nazi plane.

5. Guess I'm to traditional, getting old has it's problems and one of them is trying to live in the past.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Did'nt the Japanese take teh Corsair engines and water inject them ?

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Water/alcohol injection to control detonation under high boost pressures was used by all but the Russians.The Russians probably drank the alcohol.............

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Could you define "our kind of cars?" I would like to know, so I can change what I have in my garage

9. Herdez

Herdez

Secret Wonder weapons Of WWII

Heres a blog I posted on this stuff, MORE INFO HERE

War Emergency" power (WEP) is an American term for the throttle setting on some World War II military aircraft engines. For use in emergency situations, it produced more than 100% of the engine's total rated power for a limited amount of time, often about five minutes.

GM-1 (Göring Mischung 1) was a system for injecting nitrous oxide into aircraft engines that was used by the Luftwaffe in World War II to boost the high-altitude performance of their aircraft.

MW 50 was a 50-50 mixture of methanol and water (hence the name) that was sprayed into the supercharger of German aircraft engines primarily for its anti-detonant effect, allowing the use of increased boost pressures.

Nitrous History
    Mike Thermos and Dale Vaznaian
    When nitrous came out of the closet!!

10. Silent Matt

Silent Matt
    from Arkansas

Well obviously a store bought kit might not look too great but if you fabbed up something that looked period correct or was hidden, who cares. It's your car, do what you want.

11. Herdez

Herdez

I remember hotrod magazine in the 90s doing an article and posting a photo of a nazi nitrous bottle that was found it had the logo. Wish I could find the photo. Anyway, that would be a cool factor or different.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

so much for expanding our knowledge,,

oh wait silly me ,,this is the era of the cookie cutter retro car

32 Fords the new 70's Camaro :p

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  13. [​IMG]

Only if you're runnin' a DB601...

14. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Yeah, I agree with ya. Fuckin' shame.

Where in the hell am I? And, how did I get here!

Hud

15. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

Nitrous oxide is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin

I took poetic license and substituded nitrous oxide for the word beer.

16. sonim38

sonim38

any body remember that episode of quantum leap where sam leaps into n ugly hotrod teenager in the 60's? the kid had a chevy wagon and they put nitrous in it to win a race against some doosh hat. haha that show was bad ass.

as for this debate...if you werent making customs in the 50's or 60's then what you know to be "traditional" is learned from magizines and the hamb. i say make the car however you want, people are still gonna talk bad about it behind your back anyway.wrong hub caps, ugly lines,stupid engine...everyone beefs here so much. lets relax and relize that its about making cars and having a great hobby, not being a condesending anal whart.

17. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

Anal warts are proof God doesn't like some people and wants them to be unhappy.- Ben Franklin

18. sonim38

sonim38

good call...i recall reading that in the bible.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I think it's time for all the pussies that say NO! to turn in their Man Cards. They clearly have no testicles.

What happened to a car built in the late '40's or early '50's when a ballsy kid pulled it out of Dad's barn and breathed new life into it in say... 1961, 1964, 19??

He had testicles! He went out and found the most modern shit he could afford! I'll wager that it was nitrous oxide in more than one or two obscure instances. The pussies that lost to that kid are still crying about it, too.

Run it!

20. 2Hep

2Hep

Well, to put it in other words, think early on when the guys started messing with Alch. and Ethyl. mixtures with gas. Why wouldn't one want to use Nitrous. If you could do it and not use stainless barded hoses and AN fittings to make it look as though it weren't being used, that'd be trick right?
    Hell with it. I'm all for it. Just build your engine right to use it.

21. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

I had a 12 second DAILY DRIVER Mustang that would run 10.80s on the spray. IMO traditional or not , nitrous is great. Never so much as a blown headgasket with hundreds of passes on that engine in 4 years. If I could get fuel to it , I would probably put it on the lawn mower.

22. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

one night in 1970 [i'm 64] i was working late night after working hours>hidding nitrous inside a weiand tunnel ram... my A was parked in the front parking lot...a passing tow truck driver saw the car&that i was working late &came in to ask about my car...he then said he had just bought a 3barrel holley for his tow truck&it was flooding &if i thought i could use it come by his house &i could have it for free!!![just a few days before i had read that holley had made them for nascar?]...anyway i went to his house&when i offered to make it work on his truck he said he owned two trucks his mechanic had put one on both trucks &neither worked so had put 2 new afb carbs on them &he was happy.....when i showed my excitment on his giving me the carb he took me to a bucket in the front of his garage&said''if you can use it take that one too!...........when i got back to my work next morning i looked in the bucket it was the bigger cfm holley now i had one of each>still have<TRADITIONAL i was doing it in 1970 on a hotrod how can it not be traditional?!!!

23. tmacracin

tmacracin

Thats what I was thinking! N2O has been around for years! Maybe not with blue bottles and blue/red AN fittings but in my opinion belongs on a hot rod!

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

As far as i'm concerned if it was done back in the day to go faster, then it's traditional, I mean Smokey did it, how much more traditional do you want? He was one of the greatest if not The greatest builder ever to live. The point to to put as much power in as light of a car as possible. I think it would be cool to put one of those vintage systems in a traditional car, not sure if you could still make it work, but it would look bad ass and be period correct.

25. zzford

zzford

Sometimes I think there are more "restorers" on the HAMB than there are hot rodders. Damn, I hate the word "correct".

26. You guys kill me.

Who gives a fuck if it is traditional.

"Traditional Hot Rodding" gets watered down just a little more every time someone tries to justify something they want to do to their car that they like. And it's gotten watered down to the point where it is as main stream as Resto Rods, mini trucks, Cal Look bugs, and Pro Street... and we all know what happened to those.

But to answer your question... yea, NOSS is traditional, they sell the kits at Summit Racing that'll bolt up under your Holley carb.

Sam

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I've seen pictures of hidden systems in cars from the "traditional" era, the difference was it was used to go faster not for looks. No big bottle or big NOS sticker in the back window. most of the systems were hidden. Anything adapted from WW2 machinery is traditional in my book.

28. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

An "NOS" bottle and plumbing on a "rat rod" or "traditional" or "old school" or "custom" or "kustom" or old "jalopy" will only look like a converted "Fast & Furious" kid built it.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that what all of the original hot rodders were? "Fast and Furious" kids?

29. ok dad.

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

No because the traditional rodders built cars to go fast not with cheesy crap all over them. I hate that dam movie anyway, It gave all of us with old Japanese cars a really bad name, and gave birth to the big ugly wing and loud giant muffler. really bad comparison. Not one old jap car i owned even had or will have fuel injection, just carburetors,cam, and headers