Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960's Vintage Dragster Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hammeredcoupe, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kratebike

kratebike

New Cage, New Slicks, and LET HER EAT!!!!

2. 29hammeredcoupe

29hammeredcoupe
    from minnesota

Just pulled the motor. Seems a mouse had made his happy house in #4 cylinder. It's going to take some doing to get that piston out.

It's got a steel crank that has been balanced. It's got Domed pistons also.

The guy I got it from does have some old pictures of it, but they are buried in some old boxes in his garage. Will have to wait until he finds them.

I'm thinking that I'm gong to have to change out the transmission and update to a power glide. Anybody looking for a 37 Lasalle Transmission?

Attached Files:

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, Changing even just the trans would be wrong. Rebuild it if you need to but keep it as close as possible to original.

41 Dave

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

get rid of that 37 and you'll kick yourself for teh rest of your life,,if your not in need of the $$ just put it away in a dark corner

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

do NOT bail on the lasalle...
    Jesus...

That car is pretty RAD...
    its an awesome piece of history.

6. wishihad147

wishihad147
    from delaware

Man that is one sweet car. Love the frame.

7. Sweet car. And it's from my hometown, Austin, MN (a/k/a SpamTownUSA).

Very cool!

8. krooser

krooser

Don't "restore" it... it's perfect as is...

Screw the Powerglide, too. Keep it as-is man. Changing to a PG would be like sewing a wiener in Raquel Welch... you could do it but you'd screw up the original design.

9. studematt

studematt

Totally awesome.

10. Listen to Krooser, he is very wise! Neat car!!!!!!!!!!

11. to paraphrase another HAMBer,

replacing the Lasalle (especially a topshift) with a Powerglide
    "is like wishing you had 2 inches less dick"

12. Nice. Really nice.

That sideshift box is later than a 37. If you are going to sell it, I'll buy it. I'll even pick it up... Also, that looks like an 8-3/4 mopar, not a ford 9".

Getting that car up to spec would require the wholesale molestation of everything that makes it cool. It is your car, do what you want, but when it comes to unsolicited advice, look no farther than than this place. But you'll be much more popular if you just fix the motor and screw it back together (including the old gearbox).

Send an email to the GSTA, someone there will know the car.

13. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I'm going to be the first ass to say this,someone save the car before it gets screwed up.Seriously don't mess with man it's pure history.

14. Leave it alone. It's perfect the way it is. It's history.

15. mow too much

mow too much

Very neat car, and like krooser said please don't put a wiener on Raquel Welch. :eek:

16. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Here now, take MY altered out and get your speed fix in it. Leave that trans rite where it is and understand you cannot re-make that car. It is perfect,dont change it..........................
    [​IMG]

17. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

That has to be one of the most complete/ best shape old race cars ive seen in awhile. It wont be competive in modern times, so leave it like it is and run it for good times. It will still be fast enough to get you going.

18. found the guy pm me for his number

he is an occisional :( hamber .. i told him to look for this thread he may chime in

19. after lookin at the pics in detail i see the backside of the front hubs are five bolt but the wheels are four bolt .. odd fo sure

20. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Congrats....Awsome.....

21. nutajunka

nutajunka

Keep it like it is! Fix it and take her for a spin and video the smile on your face for us. :D

22. 29hammeredcoupe

29hammeredcoupe
    from minnesota

Pulled the Transmission today to give it a look Now I can see why one would want to use this trans. It's gears are massive. The inside of the trans is absolutley mint! Theres only one problem, no reverse gear. Looks like they were running first and thrid gear. Somebody also removed the flywheel and clutch as they were not there.

Where would you find a reverse gear? Back in the day this did not have a starter but had a push bar to get it started. Rulebook says cars are to have a reverse gear and no push starters allowed.

Removed wheel to check out the brakes. Everything looks good. Axles have been redrilled for different bolt pattern. I have added some pics from the underside.

I contacted the Gopher State Timing Assoc. and they said they would forward my email to their members. Have not heard anything yet. I was told by the guy I got this from that originally it was red, but unitl I can see a photo I won't know for sure.

Some people have had some concern of the cars history being destroyed. Rest assure that the history will be preserved. Just looking for information right now.

23. 29hammeredcoupe

29hammeredcoupe
    from minnesota

For some reason I cannot get pictures to upload. Will try again later.

24. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Thats an amazing find. Just make sure you have a will and your life insurance paid up when you run it because it looks fast.

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

the best thing I've heard all day :-D

26. titus

titus

I know some one on the hamb here that has some spare lasalle trans parts, ill see if hes got a reverse gear.

JEFF

27. 29hammeredcoupe

29hammeredcoupe
    from minnesota

Here are some pics that I tried to post earlier.

Attached Files:

28. 29hammeredcoupe

29hammeredcoupe
    from minnesota

Took the body off today and cleaned up the roll cage and chassis. Paint still looks good on the roll cage. Any idea what the seat might be from? Must have been one hell of a ride in its day.

Attached Files:

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Thats some wild work right there,,gotta love it

30. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Looking good.:cool: