Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT... I'm kinda lost for words

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Oct 2, 2009.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well, I've talked to a few people about this but most of them don't know a lot about it.
    Basically I found out Wednesday that I'm being medically discharged from the Air Force... I had elbow surgery about 2 years ago and during the surgery the Doctor "civilian doctor" either damaged my ulnar nerve or cut it. For those of you that don't know, you're ulnar nerve is your "funny bone" it controls your pinky finger and half of your ring finger. That Doesn't sound like a big deal but I have almost no strength in my hand any more because of it and I can't really grip anything.
    Anyway I'm having a lot of mixed emotions about this, I've been in the military for almost 12 years. I'm an Aircraft structures mechanic and it's all I've known since I was 18. I've done a lot of cool shit and seen a lot of cool places.
    I can make a lot more money on the civilian side because I will get a full E-5 retirement and not have to pay for health ins. I've already had people say they will hire me as a civilian contractor working on base, so that's a plus.
    At the same time I can't help but feel that I failed. I know it isn't my fault this happened but I'm pretty proud to serve our country and a big part of me doesn't want to let it go yet.
    I can also try and fight this decision and try to stay in the military. I guess I'm just caught up in the middle.
    I'm not writting this to get pity points because trust me I don't want it. I just want some good advice on what the hell I should do. Anyway thanks in Advance -Zip

2. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Thank you for serving!

There's no failure in a medical discharge. The only advice I can offer is try to see this as an opportunity.

3. You served, thank you. No fail there, it wasn't your fault. Get out, make some better coin and help your family tree change.

4. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

T-Time nailed it!

5. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

there should be no shame in what your going thru I'm sure you have served your/our country proudley....however make sure you get a hard copy of your medical record b4 you get out.....stuff like that tends to grow legs....are you getting any leval of disability?

6. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks everyone. I haven't been seen by the VA yet but the Air force says I'm 60% disabled

7. From a fellow retiree. Don't sweat it!!! Take the retirement and move on. You served with honor, did your job and served your country. Trust me the best kept secret about the military is retiring. I'm a contractor on base myself. You will never let go of the important shit you learned. You just won't have to deal with the silly shit. Do us a favor. 1 year after you retire let us know how your doing. I'm about 99.999% sure you'll be happy. You have a marketable skill you'll do fine. Todd

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  8. Find a gig where you're 100% appreciated and your sense of job loyalty will be rewarded.
    And reap whatever bennies you can get. You've earned them. My .02...

9. Wait to see what the VA says. They're usually pretty generous. However, take what you deserve and be happy. They boned up the operation which is forcing you out. I see alot of guys getting pretty big percentages for disabilites that don't deserve it. I know a guy that got 50% because he claimed he has sleep apnia. What a loser. Todd

10. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Dont sweat it. You can probably make a whole lot more doin the same thing as a civillian. You did your time, settle into one place, dont worry about having to move constantly, enjoy life and build some badass rods!

11. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Think of it as a noisey lifter. doesnt mean the motor is toast just a bit noisey still runs hard heck might even never have any other issues due to it. you pull it outta the race car and put it in your favorite hotrod instead to see more play time than work time. still runs hard still fun as hell to drive.

Ok so bad analogy but what the heck.

new chapter keep on keepin on.

no failures in my book. thanks for keeping our country safe one turn of the wrench at a time.

peace

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've learned everything happens for a reason. Thanks for helping defend us, you'll come out fine. Make this a great opportunity.

Cheers!

13. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

The thing to weigh your decision, is how the next 8 years will go as far as maintaining your physical strength, in the job you have. Can you cross-train into something that isn't as physically demanding? Would you even want a job that was less physically demanding...

As a veteran of the Gulf war, we were led by a General who lost his foot to a landmine in Vietnam. He fought to stay in the Army, and he succeeded.

It can be done.

I would also look into micro-surgery. If they can reatach a hand, they must certainly be able to graft a nerve. It may have been too long though, as once the muscles die, it will be heartaches to get them back.

The VA hospital is not a pretty place. I've seen people volunteer for missions behind enemy lines before being forced into a VA Hospital kicking and screaming :)

Edit: I started college when I retired (40). With a 10% or more disability, you will get all your books for free (that's 50% of what a semester costs). For more, you will get tuition free I'm sure. I think they should give you more than 60% if they are forcing you out. I got 10% for getting shot in the ass (too big for the foxhole).

At any rate, 4 years of college is a huge vacation, and people will pee to have you come work for them!

14. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

first and foremost ide like to say THANK YOU for defending us and this great country.Now look at this as a good oportunity to make some extra coin to put towards future hot rods or whatever you like now its your time to sit back and relax you earned it

15. triton6972

triton6972

Man Nick Im sorry to hear that. My best wishes go out to yah. All of us down here in SA wish you the best of luck. Thats good that you have some job offers and you'll be getting some retirement benefits. Like my grandmother says "one door closes and another one opens".

Hang in there.
    Eric

16. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the kind words and advice. I was leaning towards retiring but it seems wierd because I'm only 30 lol. I just never pictured not doing my full 20 years and now that I have a chance to it's kind of sureal. I still can't believe it. It's exciting and scary all at the same time. I will miss traveling and seeing the world, that was my favorite part beside all the awesome people you get to meet. Anyway. Thank you so much guys I really do appreciate it. Thanks Eric, I just wish I could have taken some leave and went to your show down there.

17. Service to your country:
    You = 12 years
    Me = 0 years

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dont think of it as a failure....nope no failure from any of us miscreants...

I went through something similar, BUMED (the same folks your likly dealing with) tried forcing me out after my second helicopter crash, 2 trashed knees and a trashed back made em say that I was no longer eligable to fly....I got the notice AS I WAS WALKING ON THE FLIGHTLINE GETTING READY TO SPIN ER UP....

I was pissed...As far as I was concerned all my docs and phys therapists cleared me...I had been flying after returning to an "up" status for 1.5 months...I was right, they were wrong...I kept my wings but not without a fight....I've scince gotten out of the active element and stayed reserves...

But if ya wanna stay, you can fight for it and likley win...if you havn't figgered it out yet (which I'm sure you have) if you don't like an answere someone is giving you, wait ten minutes and talk to someone else...trust me it works.

19. This is a new trend I foresee getting worse with the new Air Force physical training requirements. We are already short manned in some areas, where there are really good people working, but if you miss your number of crunches required by a 1 or 2 there will be a medical eval and potential early retirement, or simply not being allowed to re-enlist. In the long run the latter saves the Govt money, but is total BS and a lack of respect for that persons goals and service. Hopefully my knees will hold out my last 6.5 years.

As for your specialty....I am sure you are aware of just how big that profession is in the civilian sector. All new aircraft will be structures/coatings intensive. This will be a huge job for military and civilians alike.

It sucks that you are being forced out of your intentions of doing at least 20. I can't imagine that being forced on me. But there is money in your profession.

Best of luck to you!

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

if your not structures, you're waitin on 'em! air force hydraulics here.

21. In absolutely no way did you fail. Quite the contrary, it seems you've been successful. It's unfortunate that you have had to endure the injury from the surgery. Hopefully, that will heal in time.

So, put it out of your mind about failing. Like it was stated before, look at this as a new opportunity, a new chapter in your life. And, BTW, thanks for your service!!! :)

22. thanks for serving man! embrace the civilian life make some decent coin life is good!

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tman nailed it. Grab the gold and move on, especially since you'll still be able to what you like and know. BTW, thanks for serving, your service is much appreciated.

Frank

24. 62rebel

62rebel

i can only echo what's been said. you can fight for retention and stiff it out or follow the medicals and go home with your head up. either way, thanks for what you've done.

25. codeblu

codeblu

IYAAYAS.."If you ain't AMMO...you ain't sh#t"

26. mottsrods

mottsrods

Zip, 60% is kinda high. I lost my pinky, ring, and middle fingers on my left hand while in high school. I tried to go into the military and only got turned away when at inception, they saw I only had an index finger and thumb. Back then, I could do one arm, one finger pullups with it. Strong as hell, and have never let it stop me. Now after many years of abuse, and many more surgeries, I've lost most of the strength in my finger and thumb to grasp, so I wrap my wrist around what i'm doing to hold on. I also use a prosthetic too, and it allows me to do almost everything. I only got a 25% disability for it. Your situation sounds kinda 'henke' on the doctors part. Ask for a second opinion. Just remember, everything happens for a reason. Just my $.07

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Two words for all you've done....Thank you. It's because of guys like you that we live in the best country on the planet. Take it easy, build some hot rods and have a good time.
    Thanks again......The whole McVannel Family.

28. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Ditto.

Zero contibution by myself as well.

Have you considered that your 12 years of service is more that most will contribute? Possibly you've done your part, done it well, and it's time to move on to whatever awaits you.

If you can see it as an opportunity, it probably is.

And thanks.

HSLD

29. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well let me clarify, I got 50% for my hand and 20% for my back because I have 2 slipped disks. Now in my little head 50+20 should equal 70 but for some reason they say 60 "don't ask me how because I don't get it either". I know for a fact I'm not 60% disabled, I can pretty much do everything I used to. I know there are a lot of people that get the shaft through the VA and it makes me sick. On the same note I can't complain that they arn't screwing me. I'll be honest, I was pretty shocked that they rated me that high but I can't very well go in to the hospital and say I don't think I deserve it either. I mean I guess I could but if that is what the doctor's say then I won't argue. Now I also know the VA is looking at a lot of other stuff that is wrong with me so I'm pretty sure my VA rating will be higher than 60%. I never tried to get medically discharged the doctors are the ones that pushed for it... I also know if I went and fought this I'm pretty sure I would be able to stay in.
    On the other hand though my wife is from this area and I have 6 kids "yes I know 6 lol" so I think it would be a really nice change for them to stay in one area for awhile. Everyone in our family likes it here and I also have a lot of family around here. So I think things will work out well in the end. It might be kinda nice to not have to shave for awhile lol.

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mate I went out on a medical discharge too, from the Australian Army. It hurts, even now and Ive been out 5 years now. No matter what anyone will say to you that feeling that you dropped the ball somehow will still be there. I still feel like I let down my mates who went on serving.
    One day though it will all be behind us and there will be something new in life.
    I hope.
    I broke my back in 5 places, broke both my ankles, smashed my right knee (8 operations so far to fix it) broke my pelvis, right wrist, and base of my skull, and dislocated my right arm as well as internal injuries. I was also hit in the back by bullet fragments (Different incident).

To date l have received a total of 15% incapacitation, I was granted some compensation but they held most of it until I do a rehabilitation course that they supply. After 5 years I am still waiting to get on the course. I got $20,000 bucks compensation in hand.
    They revoked my pension and still have not provided an answer as to why.
    My lawyers have been buried in mountains of BS from Veterans Affairs. I was also diagnosed with PTSD and Depression both directly caused by my service. They have even accepted that they are caused by my service though they refuse to pay any medical bills or consider compensation.

I'm still fighting and will until I get something from these fuck bags, and so should you if they try to screw you out of anything.

My country still see us service personnel as an embarrassment.

No matter what has happened or will, I would not swap a single second of my service for anything. I am proud to have served and to have done what I did.

I am embarrassed to live in a country that treats us like dirt, both the public and the government.

Doc.
    RAAMC
    SASR (Ret.)