Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 pontiac disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rad Rob, Jan 4, 2009.

1. I've done some searching and found scarebird and discbrakemike. I haven't purchased from either one of these vendors before so I could use some feedback. Is one setup better than the other?

Thanks

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I bought the Scarebird kit and feedback from myself and others is a quality kit and great customer service.

I've never heard about the other guys kit until now and it might be fine, but I did see where the brackets have to be welded together once they are assembled on the car. The scarebird kit does not require any welding.

3. This is for "sir whoosh" I figured the links might do better in the post than in a PM.

http://www.scarebird.com/

http://www.discbrakemike.com

Disc brake mike's website doesn't seem to be working right now (at least not on my computer) but I did find his email when I searched for his username. He is a member here.

55chieftain I think your 55 spindles are different than my 53's but I'm glad you said something about welding. I'm not a big fan of welding anything that has to stop my car.

4. mark (scarebird) is a great guy and will support his product. his stuff works,is reasonable in price and is quality. got some brackets for my 64' belair wagon.

5. Seems like "scarebird" is a good kit and a good guy to deal with.

I emailed "discbrakemike" and he promply replied with valuable information and pictures as well as a decent price.

I need to go out and measure my bolt pattern though. His kit uses 5 on 5" and I was under the impression I have 5 on 4.75" wheels. I have one mismatched wheel anyways, but I'd like (to find and) be able to use a small hub cap GM wheel like what's on the other 3 corners. I have four of the correct caps and I like them.

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

53 Pontiac uses a 5 x 5 bolt pattern

7. Thank you

8. 53NDN

53NDN

Rad Rob,

I also own a 1953 Chieftan and was curious if you ended up doing any of these brake kits. If so which one and how is it? Thanks sir, Shane

9. I ended up with the Scarebird kit. The deciding factor was that this kit came pre-welded and used more bolts to secure it to the knuckle (3 instead of 2) I haven't installed the calipers yet but the brackets and the bearing spacers fit well. I only needed minor honing (done with sand paper) to take the burrs off on the bearing sleeves.

10. Rad Rob do a install tech thread installing the scarebird disc. conversion. sure their is lots of curious people waiting to see install. don't forget the pic's.

11. It was an extremely simple installation, as easy as bolting on a new set of rotors to any car with spindles. The only thing that was tricky was fitting the bearing adapters because their machine tolerances were tighter than the factory in 1953. I will see what I can do for pictures when the rain stops (in at least 3 days here in Mass.) :rolleyes:

I can tell you that it took longer for me to realize half my lug nuts were left hand thread than it took to install the brackets if that helps. :D