Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Roadster Fuel Tank...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Sep 30, 2009.

1. It's time to start thinking about a fuel tank for my 32 Roadster. I need to hear some Pros and Cons on using a Stock size/location new 32 tank vs. a 20 or so gallon tank at the front of the trunk...with the fill cap in top of the rear deck, just behind the driver side seat. Thanks, guys...

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am all for using the stock type tank :)

I have owned at least one 1932 Ford ( sometimes more than one :rolleyes: ) ever since the 1970's.The original tank size is listed ( in Ford literature ) at 14 gallons. Even at " ONLY " 8 miles to the gallon - - - the fuel range is over 100 miles on a fill-up.

1 ) I NEVER drive mine over 100 miles without having to stop, walk around a little, go to the men's room or get another Diet Coke. Fuel stops are a good reason to stop.

2 ) With a tank in the roadster's trunk --- where do you put your luggage on those weekend/overnight trips?

3 ) Looks ... the orignal style fuel tank is " part of the charm " that a 32 has, at least to me :D

4 ) Messy ... you have to be so careful when filling the tank ... if it is inside the trunk and that location makes filling more difficult without a external fuel door or cap ( ugly IMHO )

5 ) fumes in the trunk

[​IMG]

6 ) Original style 32 fuel tanks are BEAUTIFUL

3. My vote is for the stock tank just because it looks right. I do get a little nervous though when on the freeways in a lot of traffic with people texting, talking on their cell phones, picking their nose, etc. because that is a big molotov cocktail hanging out there. I keep an eye on my rear view mirror a lot.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The chances of getting into a fire problem in a 32 are alot less than burning in an early Falcon or Comet or Mustang with an original floor tank and no firewall between the trunk and the passenger compartment.

5. daddio211

daddio211

The difference between a stock 14 gallon tank and a stock 20 gallon tank is 6 gallons. :D

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Deuce roadster----Stock tank---After 100 miles, time to recirculate the butt & refuel----Car & body!-------Don

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

here's something other than stock.

Attached Files:

8. I'm with Deuce Roadster too. I can get about 3 hours or maybe a bit more at constant freeway speeds, but my bladder doesn't! I've never had to fill a tank from empty. And yeah, it's part of what makes a Deuce a Deuce.

9. Rem

Rem

Depends on the style of build, doesn't it? A full-fendered Roadster would look a bit odd with a big hole where the original gas tank should be, but a channeled one could look just as weird with a tank out back. There are also plenty of early-style hiboys with a quick-change rear and bobbed rails with the tank in the trunk - nothing wrong with that look either.

10. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

stock tank is my vote too:)

if you think that filling the stock tank will be messy try reaching one in the middle of the car:eek:

11. Another vote for the stock Deuce tank,and like others have said,,you are gonna have to strech after a couple of hundred miles anyway. HRP

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  12. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I have a stock stlyle tank in my '32 sedan. It's just a little deeper than stock because it has a 16 gallon capacity. You can't tell it from stock and it has about a 250 mile range at 15-16 mpg. Got it from Tanks Inc. and it is steel. Original location is the only way to mount a tank in any '32 in my opinion.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

since most of us agree with the mission of the HAMB, I'm with the stock tank crowd. Those street rod tanks remind me of a baby with a load in it's diaper and just as appealing to look at. I did use one in my P/U but it was covered by the bed and not out in the open.

200 miles and I'm ready for a pee and a soda.:D

14. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I was going to put a "new" tank on my sedan until I actually started to mock it up and realized that it fit like shit compared to an original so i took an original one I had cleaned it and fixed what needed to be and it fits great.....the new one is a vintique by the way.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've been lucky enough to have built several deuces over the years and have had both trunk tanks and stock tanks. Location has been dictated by the style of car I was building. I drove a roadster with a 20 gal trunk tank to the LARS and when I got west of Grand Junction it was dam nice to have the extra gallons. The last 4 roadsters I have built 3 have had the stock style tank and the current one has a trunk tank.(See HopUp 10) I am building 5 different deuces at this time and 4 have a stock tank and the rpu will have the tank in the bed. It's really personal choice.

16. Gary DeVore

Gary DeVore

If it has fenders, I'd say use a stock tank. If it has no fenders......I think a stock tank looks like shit! Even if it's a '32 Ford, it doesn't mean they all have pleasing lines.

17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Seems like most posts favor a stock tank in the stock location.

So what do you all think about the "rolling bones" style cars (whether built by those guys or not)? Using Ken or Keith's 3 window as an example they just SCREAM hot rod, but they have neither front frame horns or rear frame horns/stock tank.

Attached Files:

18. Rem

Rem

See Rollin' Bones pics above ^^^^^

19. krooser

krooser

A Duece tank is part of the styling of the car...something a 33/34 doesn't share.

You can remove the fins from a '59 Caddy but why?... same with a '32 fuel tank or the reveal in the frame..

Off topic... how did a Model 40 get the "rolling bones" moniker? Seems kinda recent to me but I've been wrong before.

20. ^^I like the way you put that!!^^

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Build style dictates tank style AND location.

Frank

22. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'm with Deuce

23. I agree with Krylon32. I have a 16 gal. one in mine. I average better than 20. I live in the boonies so it's a long distance to anywhere I go. I wouldn't put a tank in the truck, though. The smell would be something I wouldn't want to deal with.

24. I have the stock 12 gallon tank that I put about 10 gallons in between stops and I usually can go 150-200 miles depending on conditions. That works out about right but you have to pay attention to what you are doing when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

25. I've never understood guys who seem to think they must have the ability to circum navigate an entire continent on one tank!

26. daddio211

daddio211

Gotta say Tony, my car is comfortable enough I could easily to 200-300 miles non-stop, fill up with gas, drain the lizard, grab a Diet Coke, and hit the road again... not that my 327 could possibly make it more than 120 miles from a stock A tank! :D

27. Been there done that. And will again next Friday - 5 1/2 hrs south for a rod weekend. It's a 1 stop drive, which would be breakfast I'd say.

28. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Nothing like a stock '32 tank. Makes it real easy to fill-up too. I'm thinking of adapting one to my A roadster!

29. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Stock tank, unless your bobbing the frame, in which case you put it behind the wife.