Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage Security...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, May 17, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

Right.........I have 3 dogs that let me know if there is any movement in the neighborhood let alone in my own yard.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dogs good. I learned in Colombia, where crime and punishment are popular sports, the ideal combo is a hyperactive ankle biter (Chihuahua with serious caffeine dependency) who alerts the big, stolid monster dog.
    Burglars do have clever and frequently unpleasant ways of dealing with dogs quickly though. The simplest was for burglar to rip down a curtain or pick up a rug as the dog advanced, throw it over the dog, and bundle him into a closet...
    Our big guard dog was government property, and remained in Colombia guarding the house for its new occupant. He was poisoned.
    I think dogs are probably most effective barking inside the house or garage...the burglar cannot predict what he will face and cannot do anything to the dog in advance.

3. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I live in the forest, cougars and bobcats are common on the property at night. My shop sits 150 feet behind my house and there are two locked gates to go through to get to the shop. All the expensive tools are locked in a tool cage that is bolted to the floor. If they get in, a silent alarm goes off in my bedroom that's when the SKS gets loaded. If someone ever does try, they will experience the full metal jacket then I have a backhoe dispose of the scum....

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

-Good relations with the neighbors

-2 American Pitbull Terriers (not that they would do much more then bark because they are goofballs)

-Motion lights

-Locks that you need keys for to enter and leave the house and garage

-Wife with an extremely small bladder (she is always getting up while sleeping)

-Semi Auto AK-47 but currently have no 7.62's to load it. Haha!!!!

-Pretty Quiet neighborhood.

-Oh and Chief of Police live a couple houses down.

5. NRA stickers
    "Neighborhood watch" sign
    And a large sign that says" STEAL HERE, DIE HERE!
    If you do shoot the intruder...be sure they have a weapon of any sort in their visible possession before the police arrive...even a butter knife from your own kitchen justifies shooting the asshole dead!!!

6. Abomb

Abomb

Good locks and good insurance.

I might have some firearms as well, who knows.

7. My house was big time broken into in 2002, plus the garage. They got very little from the garage, all the rollaways are always locked, even my kids keep them locked after they abuse my tools.

I have a new fiberglass overhead door, I do the padlock thing in the tracks if I'm away for more than a day. The back window is boarded up, the side window, which is new has a bar across it in 2 places.

The side door (faces the house) was replaced after the robbery with another steel door. I made up a new door jamb/latch plate from aluminum bar and have it lagged into the wooden frame behind it. The dead bolt is extra long.

I had an alarm put in too, the garage zone works off some FM (f***ing magic) infared thing.

I have 2 motion activated lights, one in front of the garage, the other at the corner of the house.

If someone wants in, they'll get in. My place was robbed in broad daylight too, I don't worry too much at night. I live in a pretty good area, but my house is a bit remote from my neighbors. My alarm goes to a central station, if it goes off, the phone rings immediately. If I'm out, then the calls go to my wife's cell phone and then mine. We did get one call as we were sitting down at a restaurant and went home. The alarm company told us what zone it was and what window it was, at the back of the house. It wound up being a sensor that came off at the window, signaling that it was opened.

So, lock it or lose it. My system may not be fool proof but it gives me considerable peace of mind. I would really like to catch someone in the act though, roll up at the right time.

Bob

8. SOHC427

SOHC427

English Mastiff, Chow/Sharpi cross, and 5 others to keep an eye/ear out.
    And lots of things that go Bang/Boom

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

A simple sign that says...We dont call 911.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I don't know what you have done to your dogs, but I trained my pits to be nice. All bark, not much bite. If they want my stuff, I am gone 40 hours a week. The loud ass alarms work better than sleeping dogs. A dog should be the #2 theft deterrent.

Strays make good dogs.

11. I know this is an old thread ... but I received this SPAM e-mail today ... and thought that it kinda fit in well with this thread ... Enjoy!

Subject: THE MEXICAN LION

This is the true story of a Garage Owner in the Southwest. (New Mexico) He was sick and tired of thugs breaking into his garage shop to steal tools, etc. So he came up with this idea. He put the word out that he had a new Mexican Lion that would attack anyone that would break in or climb his fence. Would-be thieves saw the "Lion" from a distance and fled the scene.

[​IMG]

:
    :

[​IMG]

:D

12. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

pistol grip pump on my lap at all times. they can be f***in wit otha n****'s s**t but they can't be f***in wit mine.

13. Wicked50

Wicked50

whos wants to come in my back yard with them around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bigjake

Bigjake

Mossberg 500 with 00 buck.

15. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

Here’s my Anti Auto Theft/ Home Security System, My Hk usp 45, Colt XSE commander 45, Beretta 92fs, and My LiL shorty, Glock 27. It’s pretty rough where I live at, Pomona, ca.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My guns are mostly for my sporting pleasure, my hobby, But God forbid that I ever have to use them in self-defense, with all this crazy shit going on now at days, you just don’t know.<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

16. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

125 dB Federal thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren inside your garage, triggered by delayed alarm system inside your house and fed by a 10hp roots blower.

Thieves will have to be deaf, or they will turn deaf, ultimately.

Just for the fun of it, install half a dozen aircraft searchlights on the roof, pointing at various directions down the road, and put up a sign "NATIONAL DEFENSE RESTRICTED AREA. Use of deadly force authorized!"

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

My garage has NO windows and it is right between my brothers and my house. I also have three Dachshunds that will bark at any and everything. The walk in door is a steel door with a dead bolt lock and the garage door is 17 X 10 steel rollup door. My bed room window faces the front of the garage and both my model 94 Winchester and model 19 Smith are loaded and handy.

18. The Gambler

The Gambler

Works for me..

19. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I got a security system...if anyone messes with the windows it goes off and if anything over 10lbs moves in the garage it goes off...plus i park my truck in the drive and put the parking brake on and make sure its locked in 4 wheel drive...figure if they are trying to take anything big they gotta move the truck first...plus i got watchful neighbors and having a .50 desert eagle and an ak-47 around doesnt hurt either

20. There used to be a couple of tweekers living across the street. They'd look over every now and then, but they never tried anything that I'm aware of. I let them know one fine evening that I was well-armed and would not hesitate pummeling them into dog food and/or blasting a hole through them that a guy could drive a truck through. They seemed to take me at my word. They moved away after a tornado did quite a bit of damage to their rental shack, and later, it was bulldozed, so they left for good.

21. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

all my neighbors know and love me, or hate me, either for a very good reason.
    I live in a crappy neighbor hood, and they think I'm a crazy white trash red neck, and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

I have a heated garage that my 2 rotties sleep in both 130 lb plus
    also have an alarm, cameras, and several guns.
    thank god for the castle law!!

22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Deadbolt, couple of motion lights, bars on the windows, and some hard to move akward junk in front of them if you manage to get in. Also helps that one neighbor is a total nutjob (but nice as hell to me) and comes home at all different hours of the morning or night, and he's out in his garage a lot when I'm not. Just up the other direction the neighbor is a member of a pretty crazy motorcycle gang. I've managed to get on his good side too.
    I always keep my overhead shut when I'm out there, no need in letting anyone who shouldn't know see what's inside.

23. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm with Po Po....

Cop car in the drive, work odd hours that are always changing and typically have my wife bring my long guns out to me as I'm lockin and loading the police car....she shoots as good as I do...It also helps that all my boys in my area stop by to visit with my son and use the available facilities...(a clean bathroom is hard to come by in uniform) Lots of em have their own key....

That said, I dont advertise the crud thats in my garage....I put A/C in so the door stays shut unless it's trash day or I gotta roll the POS outta the garage....

Oh, and I have a sleeping disorder.....really, I do...had it scince my NAVY days. Sleep is a clossal waste of time anyway.

24. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

My home and shop were both built and owned by a large drug smuggler.
    There is no shortage of security around the joint previously supplied by him. Plus the German Shepard helps too.

25. Twicecustom

Twicecustom

My whole town knows me, I am a Proud gun owner.. So no one messes with my stuff.. And I have a HEAVY safe.. It also helps that if someone does something about 57 people know all the information in a minute.. Plus these are a couple of my "Toys"..:D

Attached Files:

26. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I've heard that a goose makes a great alarm and theft deterrent.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When the police arrive and there are only two people there and one of them is dead, who's story do you think the cops will put in the report. Oh, from professional advice make absolutely sure the body in inside the building and there are definitely signs of forced entry.

Frank

28. I had my shop broken into in 75. I live in a small town, went to the local sporting goods store and spent the next 5 afternoons in the fireing range. They call me the crazey man with the 45. End of story.

29. Sawed off shotgun with shells filled with rock salt.

30. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I had a storage building broke into recently. The fuckers must've been swift cause that place had security like Fort Knox. I talked to the owners of the facility and they said they watched the video cameras (yeah right, not their problem) and couldn't catch anything on their vids. I had a bunch of electronics I had collected over the years in there and they got everything. Sadly, I didn't have any serial numbers wrote down or anything. I was so pissed. I don't think I've ever been that pissed.