Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 chevy van cooling problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badpat, Sep 24, 2009.

1. badpat

badpat

just got my 64 van going with a 350 jammed in the dog hous- having trouble keeping it cool, at lights it heats up really quickly- any suggestions?

2. squirrel

squirrel

bigger radiator. You may have to hack away at sheetmetal to do it.

I'm assuming everything is working as it should....my guess is that since chevy never put a very big engine in those vans, the stock cooling system is just too small.

be sure to check the timing too, give it vacuum advance at idle, etc. Might help.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I know a couple guys that used smallblck Chevies in their early doghouse vans. They had no cooling problems. I'd get that radiator cleaned and rodded out. I'll bet that solves your problem...

4. Check out the vcvc.org site (vintage chevy van club). Some very knowledgable van guys on there that would be happy to help you out. I own a '64 Chevy van and they have helped me a ton.

5. badpat

badpat

tried joining vcvc, but twice i have signed up and never got on :(

6. my 64' chevy van had a 327 and until i put new radiator in with shroud i had same issues. i also installed electric fan as back up but never used it. damm radiator and shroud cost more than i paid for the van when i purchased it!

7. 65COMET

65COMET

I had similar problems and one issue is you can't get good air flow thru the dog house.I installed some ductwork behind the drivers seat to vent some air out,it helped.I had as large a radiator built that would fit in the space,it just always ran hot.

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

You gotta have the shroud underneath from the nose to the doghouse.
    From your post, this is only when it's stopped, so the obvious answer is more airflow, but it may not be that easy.
    As said, if you have 5 pounds of hot stuff in a 5 pound box, there isn't a lot of room to exit.
    Make sure your radiator, fan and shroud are up to the task. After that, it's a matter of getting more air in AND out.

9. Same issue with my '64. The otor has been switched for a 250, so even though the radiator was re-worked, it's still not keep up. I'm gonna drop in a bigger radiator after I get the new tires. Also...do you still have the scoop under the engine? Kind a louvered piee of sheet metal.

10. You might have to install a partial tunnel in the floor from the front of the van to the doghouse to get more air in.

11. badpat

badpat

still have the belly pan, but it is not on, i need to replace my oil pan so it is off for that

12. Hell I stuffed a BBC mtr in my 68 chevy van & used the stock SBC radiator and had no problems. But I also ran a fan shroud & had the lowwer louvered cooling tin in place.

if you didn't put a V8 radiator in it && have the lowwer louvered cooling tin in place that in itself could be causing problems..joe

13. Do you have a thermostat?

14. badpat

badpat

problem solved- 3 core aluminum rad for a 32 ford- 3 inch chop

Attached Files: