Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof california?? How was it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigguylilroof, Sep 19, 2009.

1. chop32

chop32

Goats?...Oops, I should have read the whole thread first, I got beat out by Fudgie!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

It was a great show guys, people that bitch will always find something to bitch about so let 'em. This was my first Billitproof and I will be comeing back next year. Groucho, I brought the pretty girls with me so you're welcome! Seriously though my girlfriend and her Sis had a good time even if my girl did kinda melt later in the day. This was one of the most organized smooth running shows I've been to and that takes a ton of work so a big pat on the back to all the folks that made it happen.
    See you next year! Later, Roger

3. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

This was Billetproof #6 for me. 4th year of putting the pinstripers' panel jam together. 2nd year to create the 'best pinstriping' trophy, watch some amazing collaboration happening with the stripes each person added, picking the car to get the award, hell even getting up on stage, awkward as it was... it was all a lot of fun.

I'm glad it was 2 days this year because I actually got to see the car show this time. :eek: Sure, I was absolutely FLATTENED at the end of the day Sunday, but it was worth it.

Got to see some amazing cars! Did y'all see that 1909 Overland? I was blown away by that one. Wasn't restored, horsehair poking out of the seat cushions, wood weathered, metal patina'd, busted brass headlamps... it was a thing of beauty.

Were there cars at the show that I didn't like? Yeah. But you know what? Somebody out there likes it even if I don't like the way overdone chop, the flattened front end... etc. I'm not going to disrespect them because I don't like their ride. I save that for the fools riding around in cheap mid-80s sedans with $5k 24" wheels on them. :D

Alan, Melissa, Dragoons... great job on the show. I can't wait until next year. Maybe I'll get that rusty heap of Buick ready in time for 2010.

4. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

We are so lucky to have a show l like this one to go to, and have a great time. I have read all the post and amazed at the complaints from some, of what kind of entries or people should be allowed in. I have seen some post making a point of having only TRAD cars to be allowed in. That point will never be resolved. I think unless you found you car in a garage or barn that was built back in the 50,s or 60,s you have a Trad look alike. Dont get me wrong, I like these builds. But if you look back at their contruction on how they were built you would realize that these are new TRAD recreations. Unless you built your car with a gas welder (NO TIG OR MIG) a tourch ( NO PLASMA CUTTER) a hack saw (NO SAWSALL) a hand file (NO HAND HELD GRINDER) unless you were lucky enough to have one of those old time monters that some early body shops used to which most garage builders did not have. I think you can see where this is going. Build what you like, call it what you want, and enjoy this hobby for what it was really intended to be. (A BUNCH OF GUYS GETTING TOGEATHER AND SHOOTING THE SHIT ABOUT THEIR CARS)
    Again thanks guys, great show!

5. Speaking as a vendor, we left Friday night and hit some shitty traffic coming up 680. It took two hours to get to the Ramada in Antioch from San Jose. Once we checked in and got our drink on it was all good. I hit the sack early to be rested for a long day of hocking crap at The Bombshells booth.

Saturday we were up and at 'em early. Got the booth set up and absolutely KILLED it! We made damn good money and it was well worth the traffic the night before, and the late Summer Antioch heat. It seemed like everyone was looking to spend their money. Sunday was slow but I expected it to be. All the guys knew and I talked on Saturday said they were not coming back for day 2 and the main issue was cost of hotels for 2 nights or they had to work.

Overall I thought Alan, his wife, the Dragoons, their ladies did a great job. It felt like every single one of them came by our booth at some point to check on us.

I wish I could have walked the car show more than I got to but, that's the way it goes when you are vending.

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

The RevTones had fun, althought the PA was kinda messed up and the vocals sounded real bad..
    [​IMG]

7. Choptop

Choptop

I've got a new board on the way. Time to get rid of the dinosaur I have.

8. This year, overall, I was pleased. But it did feel less "cool". It sort of felt like it was on autopilot this year. I was worried about the 2 day thing. I couldn't make the 2nd day, unfortunately. But no matter what, I will go again next year, and the year after that, and so on. I think it's the best show in NorCal.
    Things go in cycles. Hopefully, the bullshit cars will fade away, and the real Car Kulture community won't abandon it's teenage show. Teenagers can be pain in the ass- we just need to sit tight and let it mature.

9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Alright, Ive been watchin this one for a few days. It was my first BP, too. Ive followed it since the early mag coverage a long time ago. Its always been one I wanted to go to. Shit, I got up at 3am to get to the gate early enough to get in since we didnt pre-reg. All the guys at the gate seemed cool even though traffic was backin up and vendors were on their own program. They took a few minutes to bullshit with us about the car and let us know the show was gonna kick ass. We got in the gate with no hassles and headed to a shady spot to take a nap. We crashed for an hour or so and woke up to find a bunch of cool cars.

One of my gripes was that I had to ride shotgun since my car is down...well both are. The other is that we were stuck between 2 competing stereos. Not really a big deal...the boombox on the wagon left after awhile. Even that didnt bother me....made me smirk.

Overall I would make an effort to go back. But I am bringing my own car goddamit. Thanks to all those involved who made it what it was.

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

WOOHOOO!!! Thats Excellent News! I have Video of one of our songs but I wont post it..its really bad.....lol

11. chop32

chop32

I tried to stay out of this, but just had to speak up!
    Ive been to every Billetproof with the exception of #1 (1997) and have enjoyed every one of them to a certain extent. I thought this years show was great, maybe because after we hosted numbers 7 thru 12, it was nice to have a chance to see the show again.
    Has the show changed? It’s the same, but different. I agree that it has grown a shit load since that rainy day at the Albany Bowl in 1998, but that was inevitable. I also feel that the whole mainstream purpose built (I hate the term) Rat Rod movement has been detrimental for those who actually understand traditional Hot Rods and Customs. Hopefully these guys will learn by example and move forward with their cars. I love it when you see someones car evolve from show to show.
    I made a lot of friends at the first few shows (as I have at subsequent shows) and when I went this year, I hung out with those people, who are still my friends. It just doesn’t get much better than that!
    When people complain that there is a lack of traditional cars at the show, I am forced to call Bullshit! When I walked thru the show, trying to find the churro cart, I looked for the cars that interested me. Sure, I might have had to walk past some cars that I could care less about, or cars that just made me stop and shake my head, but I didn’t spend all my time on them since they were far outnumbered by the traditional cars that I went there expecting to see.
    My point is that inside this 1000 car version of Billetproof lies the same old intimate Bowling Alley car show/get together (Jay and Kirk version) that we all loved, you just have to look past some of the chaf to find it.
    We are fortunate enough to have a show like Billetproof, and allthough I believe in constructive criticism, lets quit the complaining.
    Picture what your ideal Billetproof would be and then get out in the garage and use all of this energy to build something that is worthy of entering in that show.
    Just my 2 cents!

12. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

The pics are great!
    My dad went Saturday and took my 3 kids and sold parts/posters/books etc., and had a GREAT time!
    (I was in Mexico celebrating my birthday!)
    He said he met sooo many great people and enjoyed talking to everyone ~ This is always a fun show in our backyard sorry I missed it!

13. I'll repeat that this was my 1st one and I liked it......a LOT! Those of you that have bitched about it, what's YOUR idea of a good event if you think this one was so fucking bad? I attend a lot of events, mostly in Socal, and there are a good amount of really good ones (CHRR, Dragfest, March Meet, Primers, Mooneyes Xmas Party, Santa Maria a bit further North, etc), and I'll put Billetproof easily in the top 5 for having a LOT interesting cars to look at. It's impossible for everyone to like every car at an event. If you see a pile of shit, ask yourself if their were any survivors, and move on to the next car:eek:

14. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I brought my car nine hours out of Oregon for this "great show" i heard so much about, and thats exactly what I got. A kick ass time, I thought it was great, and that the Dragoons did a fine job. Anyway...I'm already looking foward to next years event.

Attached Files:

15. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

Who started this thread??
    ANYWAYS, BOTTOM LINE PEOPLE... there looked like some cool cars there and even if the cars were lame??, you still got the fellowship of all the hot rodders and kustomizers in northern california and look at howe many people still came from so. cal? look at how many people showed up for the first time and loved it? awesome job alan!

16. wagonofov

wagonofov
    from Kalifornia

There are always going to be people to complain its human nature.... I dont care for the rat rod thing, im tired of the clique but thats wat some folks think is cool, just gotta differentiate from those clowns....

Im just glad that not all kewl shows are in So-Cal. no offense. Keep norcal kustoms and traditionals strong!!

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

Hey..it was a lot of fun! Thankful Alan lets us perform every year..Can't wait til next year..

18. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

19. 32chop

32chop

Spend a little more time wrenching than promoting "megolomania" who gives a fuck what others do. Its like the bored couple at a restaurant looking at others instead of enjoying why you came there. Or are you just too kool?

20. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Welcome to two years ago 32chop. . . :rolleyes:

21. Hello!......OOPs I feel asleep on the computer................................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ