Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Sep 25, 2009.

1. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

what I'm looking for is someone's idea of a homemade tool for removing U-joints without beating the shit out of it. Beating them always causes the bearing to fall over and get mashed. Also if you have any cool home made tools post them ....

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

You need two sockets,one larger i/d than the bearing cup and one slightly smaller o/d than the bearing cup.
    You also need one bench vise.
    Place the sockets on opposite sides of the u/j,(small one against one bearing cup and the larger one over the opposite bearing cup) and into the vise.As you tighten the vise,the small socket pushes its bearing cap in and the opposite one out.
    Don't forget to remove any circlips or peening.
    Sorry,no pics,but pretty straight forward.Hope this helps.

3. I use the vice and sockets and it works great.

4. Old61

Old61
    from PA

^ agreed. When reassembling, pull the caps- put a finger on the end of the bearings and twist the cap. This cocks them slightly and helps keep them in place.

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Don't forget the bench and a couple 2X4s to keep things fairly level.
    I've seen a lot of mechanics and tools, this works the best. Oh, and a BFH used sparingly is better than a small hammer swung hard....

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Most autoparts stores rent a kit that you dont' need a vise.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

BFH always worked for me. I only use the hot knive to melt out the plastic crap that GM uses. Here's some of my home made tools:

Engine Yanker
    [​IMG]

9" narrowing jig
    [​IMG]

Telescoping thingamajig for mocking up rearend to find width to narrow 9"
    [​IMG]

Doohicky to hold a rear axle and stuff like that on an engine stand
    [​IMG]

Engine test stand
    [​IMG]

SBC valve spring compressor
    [​IMG]

Cam bearing driver
    [​IMG]

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Now thats what I was after LOBUCROD...I built a flat plate on my engine hoist with a lever to keep it level while raising it, this way I can pull transmissions on my two post lift and all it cost was a couple hours work. Don'y have any pix of it.

9. I made this little jewel to reverse the spring eyes on the front of my coupe, I saw it here on the board and copied it so I can't take credit for the disign but it works great.

Attached Files:

10. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

grits , cool...I need to build one of those, and onlychevrolets take some pictures of your transmission jack thing I need something like that.

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'll try and get some and post them soon.

12. aceuh

aceuh

A guy on a truck forum I frequent came up with a one man cab/bed lift that works like a champ. It's laid out to be used with a cherry picker...but tractors work as well.

Technically it's homemade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Anybody have ideas for lifting a body off it's frame? Need to take the 35 Coupe off of it's frame.

14. RichG

RichG

I've lifted a truck cab before by jacking and blocking the corners until high enough, then using beams to secure the body underneath. You could reduce the overall height necessary by removing the wheels and putting the car on skates (square plate steel with four casters) under each wheel. That horribly place Harbor Freight sells casters super cheap, and the skates can be used for just about anything. Get fancy and put a locking caster on each skate if you want:D