Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof california?? How was it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigguylilroof, Sep 19, 2009.

1. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep. I'm so glad I'm not fielding stupid comments anymore. Oh wait, I guess I do all the time for Goodguys.

All of these complaints have been around since the first Billetproof when it was a tiny intimate show, so none of this is new.

3. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Constructive suggestion: Park all the OT cars in one area of the show site. That allows you to avoid fist-fights or other discomfort with gate-goons trying to turn away the OT guys. Banish them, politely, to their own area. "Thanks for the 35 bucks, you can park over there. No, over there. See that guy way over there? Yeah, park there."

Get involved. Volunteer to help do car-control at the gate. Four of five guys helping to point OT cars to the banishment area will put a lot of this to rest. The banished guys will probably get the subtle hint and maybe not return next year.

And again, if you want an exclusive turnout and no OT stuff, keep it quiet. Once it's out in the open it's bound to become something you didn't intend it to become.

4. Huh?

Detroit BP has a the burnout contest, and Garlit's definitely does NOT allow that on his property. If there were burnouts, they were in the hotels lots.

And rolling past the stranded guy is not cool... Compare how much time you waste here reading "I hate flat black & red wheels" post to how much time it would take to stop and help a fellow hot roddder.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. concreteman

concreteman

The only BITCH I have was the lawn mowers ,why did we need to dodge that kid on the cooler with the truck front end
    all day :mad::mad:

BIG 10-4 Ryan I am tired of all the bitching also,funny thing though all the bitcher's stoped and looked HARD at every thing they Bitched about
    like I say you will always have some GOOD and Bad
    in someones EYES :D:D:D

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's funny how it works... Typically, it's a cycle:

Year 1: A car show starts small and ends up costing the promoter some dough, but he and everyone there has a great time. Word spreads.

Year 2: After the praise from year one, more folks show. The promoter breaks even and has a great time.

Year 3: Even more people show. The promoter makes money, but works way harder than years prior. Everyone else, however, has a good time.

Year 4: People roll out. The promoter makes a good profit and also works his ass off. The show isn't fun for him, it's just work. People have fun, but start to talk about how great it was the first year with only 100 cars.

Year 5: Tons of people and cars. Promoter makes a fist full of dough and works his ass off for it. It's not fun, it's work. The people get divided... There is the group that likes big cars shows and the group that doesn't. Of course, the later is much more vocal.

And that's the life of just about every promoter I know. And just about every good show goes through that cycle. In all honesty, the only big car show that I've ever been to and had as much fun as I would have if it were small is the Round Up... and that's just because Austin is such a great town.

Fellas, car shows are hard. Give these guys a break. They might deserve it.

7. Grinder~deville

Grinder~deville

Amen!!! That Zephyr is SICK! My favorite of the show.

8. Choptop

Choptop

OT cars get rejected at the gate and park in the spectator lot. some people get upset, but we do our best to keep them calm explain to them that we have nothing against their car, its just not the show for it. Most get it, some get upset, but I bet they get over it pretty quick... after all...

its just a car show. :D

9. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

yea...and the flame thrower cart whatever the hell thing it was....im right there with ya and hopefully next year we'll remedy it

10. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

so there WAS a churro cart!!!!!!:mad:

:p

and i heard the drummer from the rev-tones was injured in an accident afew blocks from the show on saturday after the show??? is he ok??? anyone know?

11. Choptop

Choptop

As to the

Why did this years Billetproof feel different than other years?
    question...here is my theory:

We had more cars than last year AND more spectators.... but they were spread across two days.

Same # of cars from Sat. to Sat. in 2008 to 2009, so there was no lacking of show on Sat.

Did the show feel "mellow"? Not as much "energy"?
    Thats because it wasnt a crowded. Spectators were up if you count both days, but down from last year on Sat. only. More room to walk around, shorter lines at the vendors, no lines at the bathrooms... on and on.

I think that was the main difference.

12. Nothin beat the OT Tupperware 34 a few years ago that was so pissed we wouldn't let him in he almost hit the light pole in the island burning out as he left. Now that shit was funny. Do other shows cause this much needless bitching? Why BP? I say lets blame Kirk and Jay for everything wrong with the show.LOL THey started this mess right?

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nail on the head. Perfectly said and perfectly true.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, those guys SUCK!

15. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

i donno man....i might have a story this year about one pissed off fella in a real nice 36 ford roadster.

he comes screaming out of the main gate, swerves around one of the island in front of the main entrance ner the street. we're all like "fuck yes! and at least you're doing it outside the gates!" in our minds.

he pulls up to where we are and yells "FUCKING MEXICANS!" and peels off out into the street

and seeing im part mexican american, im like...."uhhhhh...?"

so hes speeding away and gives one last "COOOOOOOOCK SUCKERRRRS!"

swear to god its all true. funny as hell. anyone know what his deal was that was inside the show and maybe saw what happend?

(maybe he was like me and couldnt find the churro cart?)

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

We had a great time. I check out the cars I like and just walk by the ones that I dont.

I will always go back.

Rudy's car was real nice. We went up with all of those guys. He was having issues with bump steer and trailered it up. Then after he parked it. The starter got stuck engaged on the flywheel. Was a real pain in the ass to get it unstuck. But we managed.

Had a great time with freinds and made some new ones.

17. Choptop

Choptop

Thanks guys... the funny thing is, people that complain needlessly are by far and away the minority. I'm not talking about legitimate... we need to/can fix that sort of complaints (not enough bathrooms, we waited in line to get in...) those are great and give me tips on how I can make the show better.

Putting on a car show is a TON of work, and a HUGE financial risk. Those that have never been on the back end of even a smallish show would be amazed at what it takes to make it happen. In the end I do it because I like hot rods and hot rodders. There are much easier ways to make LOTS more money, trust me, I quit a VERY well paying job, as has my wife, to run Billetproof and we now make a fraction of what we did before... all because we love it.

18. The pretty ones are always a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Was his '36 OT?

20. There will be another show to bitch about next week I'm sure...and then Viva Las Vegas

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'll start...

The Revolution sucked because there were too many birds in that one tree.

Viva sucked because I lost $50 on the craps table.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Don't forget about that shitty old baseball field. That really sucked... And man, there was no damn spectator parking... And the beer was REALLY watered down.

As for Viva, all of that damn neon destroyed my eyes... And it was too loud.

23. Choptop

Choptop

The Slo-Pokes used to put on a GREAT car show in Portland called the Ash Bash..Mt. St. Helens is nearby... get it ASH BASH !?!?! Huh? Get it? Anyway..... they cooked up free hot dogs at the show.... UNTIL, people started grumbling about what KIND of hot dogs they were... are they Kosher? All beef? what brand are they? Oh those arent the BEST kind. They are just cheaping out and not giving us GOOD hot dogs....

no joke.

24. ha ha ha. Sounds pretty typical for these parts.

25. Marcy

Marcy

I love it!
    Pre-bitching, the newest trend!

Marcy

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have one guy that apparently stalked me at the drags and then later told a guy he thought was a pal, "I watched Ryan for hours. He has no back bone. He sat behind his tent all day and didn't talk to a single person."

Of course, I spent half the day at the front gate telling unregistered people they couldn't come in... and the other half selling t-shirts.

Bottom line... and as shitty as it sounds... Some people can't be pleased... They feel best while bitching about something... anything...

27. Its the new flat black with red wheels.....

As for Billetproof 14...I hear its gonna suck too... :D

28. Pre-bitching... It's for when you want to be disappointed... and will accept nothing less.

29. Yeah but I'll bet you'll be there to witness it sucking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

30. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

As for the upcoming shows they better have churro karts if they know what's good for them!!!!!!!!!!!!