Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Ranchero got PORTER equipped on Sat...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think they're breaking in- holy shit...

Its sounds even better today... I'll wait until after the hunnert and post another sound clip... Today it seemed to way more pronounced...

These rule- authentic old mufflers that actually do break in...

I adjusted the idle jets- it looked like it was burning rich in the vid- I was having trouble with it running warm at idle and I richened up the mix for my texas trip in case I got stuck in traffic.

You can't wipe the smile off my face...

Oh now for some fresh paint...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

what carb are you running?

3. Barn-core

Barn-core

I love the 59's, and that is one clean mochine. It sounds like it's underwater at idle. I was always a straight pipe/glass pack kind of guy, but had heard some porters and liked them. I'm sold on 'em now!

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Love the sound of those Porters. Top quality. Clark sent a set for the silent auction and those suckers are built stout. Definitely getting a set for my next set of pipes.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

zimm- Its a holley 2bbl. I had the same carb on the 289 that was in my 64 galaxie- It seems to be dialed in pretty good by the MPG I'm pulling...

My galaxie was a stick with 2.56 gears and I managed to get 27-28mpg with that HUGE CAR... those highway gears were hard on the pressure plate and it exploded- that was some old history here on the hamb... haha. When I first started checking the mileage on the galaxie I thought I was doing something wrong.

-it does sound like its underwater... man I wish this thing was a stick... three on the tree would RULE.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dude, that sounds so mean. i notice the more i drive the '54, the more the smithy's are breaking in too. they keep sounding better.

i so wish i could go to the pileup. i dunno. i leave a week after that for nigeria. not sure i can swing it.

7. So Jeff, are you still loving the Porters? I think those suckers may really be bullet proof. Clark does nice, precise work.:D;)

8. Stevie D

Stevie D

Ah Tuck we will have to have a rap off haha. The porters on my wagon are starting to break in too,Every time i drive mine its sounding better and better.Porterman does awsome work im very happy with my exhaust.I have been driving my wagon as much as i can so the porters break in. I noticed driving home last night from minnetonka the sound of the exhaust echoing of the barriers sounded sweet.Plus now the wife and i dont have to yell at each other in the wagon to talk.Cause before i had glass packs on there.Glass packs are not so mellow at cruising speed.Now i wish i had a video camera to make one of my car but i dont sorry.But porterman is the shit cause he put my porters on my birthday so it was my birthday present for myself.It would be good tucks 302 to my 327 in my wagon.But i did go extreme and had two short porters put on.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. I'd rather hear a "drive by" @ 85mph than the idle and a throttle blip... Oh yea...;)

10. I will second what Tuck and Stevie D. say about Clarke and Porters. He is awesome! Ran my exhaust exactly how I wanted. It's nice to be involved with the decisions made under the car. Super professional and a lot of fun to hang with at the shop. My little 235 sounds super smooth(when she's running right). I can carry on a conversation and listen to the radio. Can't wait to get a 283 back in there so I can have two Porters!

They do sound better the more you drive them. I drive Nadine everyday and the exhaust note keeps sounding sweeter and sweeter.

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Mound, Minnesota.... Where the children are all above average.

12. 54_Nailhead

54_Nailhead

Porter mufflers are the way to go, best sounding muffler I've ever owned. I like how they sound on Tuck's Ranchero. It's so much fun to listen to the sound of them in a manual trans car, nothing sounds better. I think I've mentioned this to Clark before, but in my opinion if you have Porters on your car you don't need a radio, you just listen to the sweet sound coming from your tailpipe(s)...

13. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Thank you for the positive feed back everyone. It's good to hear you all enjoy your porters. I just love my job keeping the porter mufflers going, it's so fun listening to all your stories.

thanks everyone,
    Clark

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. Man, the Ranch sounded great when it was going down the road. Nothing like a new pair of Porters on your ride. I know I love mine.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I would guess then that these Porter mufflers are steel-packs rather than glass-packs as are the currently made Smithy's? That would explain the tremendous weight difference.

16. That is one cool Ranchero, wish I had one!

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome Rancherito, Tuck. Sounds phenomenal!! Reading your thread is like reading Germ-lite.

18. The ranch sounds BITCHIN!

19. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Yes, porter mufflers are packed with stainless steel.

20. PorterGearHead

PorterGearHead

21. Nice, thanks Tuck......Porters are in my future.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding burly sound!! Porter muffs just took a giant leap in demand!! And Oh yeah!, that 59 Ranchero is the bomb. (Looking for a set of 59 tailight wide ass bezels for a 59 ranch wagon) One of my partners has a sweet one, 2nd. Chance, here on the board. Thanx for the cool post! ~Sololobo~

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man... these old threads are soooo cool.....

Tuck likes this.