Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I don't blame you! Btw, she's a couple of notches above a trophy queen. I believe she's a Playboy bunny. Jack would know for sure!

Pete :)

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Here are photos of Lau Raider extracted from the .pdf files posted by stang1989. Hope you don't mind.--Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

4. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

According to an old friend of mine whos no longer with us the factory Nascar blower 312s had special German made bearings that werent available to regular racers so everyone ran the 270 HP dual quad motor. He raced a 292 56 convertable on Daytona beach in 56. Ive always wondered if there was any truth to the story, maybe some 312 blower guys can verify it or call BS on it. He sure could build a badass 312 and Flathead motor for the times. His name was George Nelson and raced stock cars out of Miami Fl. he once won 48 straight features with a 301 Chevy in his car driven by Pee Wee Griffen at Hialeah. I had that motor in my 57 Vette for a while and it ran real good.

5. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

nice!

:cool:

6. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

How wonderful to read the post from Nikki Boertman. Though not a personal friend, I raced in Division 3 with Dave & Judi back in ’70 and ‘71. In addition to their incredible racing talent, I also greatly admired them as a racing couple. I hope they’re both doing well.

7. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Back in mid 60s when Dave and Judi first started I seen her put Dave on the trailer more than once!!

old-old timer

8. 442Mike

442Mike

Manarina 69 Olds

Attached Files:

9. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I have to disagree about the T/F and F/C, it is indeed about the nitro, plus the 4 second and 300+ MPH and the fire show at night. Bracket racing was brought around for one basic reason......cheaper form of drag racing. To the spectator it is difficult to understand throttle stops and breakouts. It was the average racer that used to complain because he built a car and was put into a class that he would get beat usually week after week by the same car. The simple reason was, the car that usually won was built for that class as compared to the other guy that his car fell into the other guys class. A simple yet typical example..... a guy takes a good running 396 chevelle that has a factory 780 holley on it and it is a stock car, all he does is put a 750 DP carb on it and gets killed in something like B-C/MP, all just because of a simple carb change. I know, I worked at the track as a kid for years, I heard all the cries of unfair, the other guy's cheating. You try to explain and they don't get it, so bracket racing was designed for everybody. Who is the first to complain about bracket racing..... the guy that was getting killed by a class car every weekend. Racing today is not cheap by any standard..... you determine how fast you go by how much you want to spend.

Gone forever also is the win on sunday.... sell on monday...... I have not seen too many 500 cu in Cobalts on showroom floors for sale lately. The old days, you saw a '57 chevy win on a regular basis, you went to chevy and bought one.

Breakouts were all part of eliminator racing in the good old days too. There was a science to drag racing just in that area alone. You still get your heads up racing at national events....class run offs...... and there is a variety of cars in the stock/super stock ranks that people could relate to today

10. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

Heads up racing is still heads up today in stock and super stock as well as the other classes during class runoffs. Eliminator is where the handicapping comes into play. Heads up today is extremely expensive......I'll bet to build and campaign say an NHRA A/S car would run you every bit of $100-$150K. Less if you are a body man, chassis guy, engine builder/machiness, engineer and have all the equipment and spare parts already in your possesion you could race for less, providing you don't have a crash, or a run of parts breakage. Keep in mind an A/S car today is running hi to almost mid 9 second ET's. Even a lower stock class car would be cheaper, but most of the same work has to be done, and those traveling expenses today all add to the cost..... racing simply is expensive, but heads up is still alive and well.

11. jack w braun

jack w braun
    from wayne mi

big block bill were will you find class run off,s ? Gartlits is still driving around the pit,s at Indy looking for the lane were the A/stockers go for class run of.

12. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Many years ago, I asked Bill Jenkins what he thought of bracket racing and he shrugged his shoulders and said, "It's a necessary evil". I think the man of few words pretty much nailed it down.

Verne;)

13. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

<TABLE class=tborder id=post3229913 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3229913 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 65deluxe [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The 57 Ford Wagon belonged to Bob Bales of Danville Ill. It was a 300hp 312ci (supercharged) This picture is the final round of the K/SA class at the 1971 US Nationals. Bob was racing Bobby Warren in a 68 or 69 Chevelle. Warren broke and Bob won but was tossed for his 7" slicks being about 7 1/4" wide. I used to see guys with files and utility knives trimming the width to exactly 7". These cars were as scienced as a car could be at that time, much like todays Pro Stockers. Great thread!

I was pleasantly surprised to see a photo of my 57 Ford wagon on this website. Thought I’d add some details to this post. I beat Bobby Warren’s 69 Chevelle in the second round of K/SA. The final round was between Herman Chapman, also in a 69 Chevelle, and myself. My supercharger drive pulley broke while coming off the line, giving the win to Chapman. I don’t recall any disqualifications. Ice picks were also used to trim tires. Those were the good old days!<O:p</O:p
    -Bob Bayles

(57 Ford photo by Les Welch)

<!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

No Bill -- not me. I'm pretty sure that's (I/SA class winner) Gary Ledbetter's two-door post car'Rough Ride.' Gary's 'Beer Boys' team built a two-door H/T like mine later, but that was the first version.

Ed Hamberger's'Banana Peel' and Ed Beyer's'Ed's Auto Service' cars were also 227 HP 317 cu in (hydro) 56 Pontiac two-door post cars. Alas (even running 14.50s), in the end, the Pontiacs were no match for most of the 55-57 Deliverys that also fit in the class.

15. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Newton Wright's Oldsmobile. probably taken in '70 or '71

Attached Files:

16. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Fred Robinson at '70 or '71 Nationals

Attached Files:

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow! Two more great images -- I'll add those two racers to our list on the next update.

Question/s ... Is the Olds a 51 or 52? I 'believe' the Stude is a 50. And what NHRA Divisions were they?

18. Pete -- Yes , she was a Playboy girl -- photo was taken when I was doing some ISCA show stuff during the off season ......

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

came across this on another thread, anyone?....

[​IMG]

20. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

At national meets they almost start running off right after time runs late thursday or friday and usually done probably friday nite reading for eliminator saturday and sunday..... they are definately not a draw except for a few people. The Fuel cars get the ink and support, I can understand that. Who would care about maybe a 16 sec stocker.

21. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

It has been a while since I paid attention to drag racing besides accidentally catching it on tv, I remember a few years back reading about a F/S 67 Z-28 breaking into the 10's. That was unbelievably fast at the time.....I'd guess they run about 10:70' maybe 60's by today.

22. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I remember the "Studa Skuda" Stude...I think it was raced by a guy named Frank Wilson......that goes way back to when I worked at Islip as a kid. Thanks for the history........

23. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

There is a memory shot...........I miss that place.............

24. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

You have the ETs right but Wenzel, McNeish and Duzac are running D/S with their '67 Z/28s.
    Bob Rice

25. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Bill and *Fast Freddie (*private message).
    I updated our LIST ...

(see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4295039&postcount=3962 )

You just gotta luv those old Oldsmobiles and Studebakers ...

... they may be slow, but they sure were exciting!

[​IMG]

26. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I think Kent Hanley in Div. 1 was the one he was talking about, His piece was really fast but he later went to S/S and (heaven forbid) a S/C dragster,:eek:

27. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Jack you were my hero when I was just a baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

28. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Yeah, that’s Bob Kammer from the Dayton. OH area. Kammer and Kammer always ran pretty good Mopars. They had one car that was real similar to the Riddler of Mark Colletti from out in the Northwest. I don’t know if it was that car or not but once they had thiers I never saw the other one at Indy. I think they won class a few times but not sure. I know they used to go rounds. I don’t know if they still race in Stock Eliminator but they still have a Speed Shop in Huber Heights, OH. They maybe should be added to the list.

29. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Heres my add.... boertman rocks!

Attached Files:

30. biscaynes

biscaynes

this the only color picture i've ever seen of boertman's '69 biscayne.
    thanks tom. ;)