Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod 4 banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Sep 13, 2009.

1. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Rex,
    Thats a cool setup you have, those little zetecs are good little engines, can pick them up cheap around where I live, in the u-pull-it yards, what kind of tranny setup are you running? I bet it moves out pretty good,
    Brian

2. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Brian,
    I have a BW T5 from a late 80s T Bird. You can get an adaptor from Quad Four Rods in Denver. The engine I bought was a standard shift so I am using the stock flywheel and pressure plate with a Center Force disc that has the T5 spline. I bought my motor for $750, it had 20,000 miles on it and the trans was $375, so just a little over a grand in the engine and trans. The adaptor was $475 and the injection was around $3000. It has been somewhat of a struggle getting the injection right but I borrowed an O2 sensor from a friend and she is running the best it has ever ran. I am running some 33 inch tall rear tires so with the OD T5 I can run a pretty "short" rear gear which is a 4.86 right now. It is quick but it really likes to RPM so you need to keep it over 3000+ to keep is snappy. I think the car weights in at less than 1500 lbs.

Rex

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Rex, The kinsler is from a midget, with a barrel valve. Have the motor set up now with a two barrell, but have a new aluminum head, and would like to eventually run the injection, converted over to electronics, like yours, I would guess. Still a long way to go on the car though...

4. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thanks Rex,
    Appreciate the info!!!

5. dino1

dino1
    from austin tx

mustang svo or merkur xr4ti, the 2.3 with a turbo hanging off it. Kind of traditional, kind of rice.....

6. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

This was what I had in mind for another build. I was thinking model A roadster, no fenders, with hood, 2.3L from a T-Bird turbo coupe or SVO and some speed parts and upgrade the turbo to a t3/t4 hybrid, leave the EFI in place and get a tune with more than 15 PSI on pump gas and make a custom front mount intercooler to fit where the radiator is, with the radiator moved back just behind the intercooler. Go with a BW t-5 tranny. Seems like it would be a ton of fun with good mileage when needed also!

I would like to build a V8 with turbo and fit that under the hood of a Model A but I don't think all that would fit, so 4 cylinder instead I guess.

7. Ice man

Ice man

I put a2001 Jeep 4 banger/5sp in my project. Runs well and strong.
    Iceman

8. lorodz

lorodz

well i know for a fact that 1 80's style mazda engine out of the little pick ups dont need ecu's because ive owned plenty of them . only thinking about it anyway i thought mazda was a branch of ford ...plus ive seen in the last year or 2 people running nissan motors in salt cars ..ztec.echo tec .all kinds of newer power plants in tradditional builds ...one day all the flatties and y blocks and small blocks will disapear and than what will we use ..dont get me wrong i have owned my share of flatties ,small blocks and even 4 bangers i just want something cheap and something i can get parts for i dont care what it is as long as it runns great and i can drive my roadster..

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Keep in mind that it might just be possible to adapt a distributor to a distributorless engine. For instance, a distributor from a Ford CVH will almost bolt up to the back of a Subaru EJ's rh cylinder head. All it needs is a little fettling. It's a trick the light-aircraft guys use to give the EJ ignition redundancy. There must surely be similar fortuitous matches for other engines?

That's the plan for the Morris Minor: a thoroughly trad-tech Subaru EJ, with a distributor and several SU carbs. I'll stop short of engineering a chain drive to the cams, though ...

There's a lot to say for engines you know well and have owned several of. That's why I briefly considered a VW EA827 for the '27 T, which subsequently reverted to being a '31 A and therefore needs something slightly bigger. Hence the shape of the oil pan in my avatar. Every second car I own seems to have an EA827.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Just about every Ford 4cyl sold in Australia for the last 30 years has been a re-badged Mazda

11. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

Ford never owned Mazda. They once had a 33% share in Mazda which under Japanese law gave them a controlling interest. But recently, to get some cash on hand, Ford sold 80 or 90% (I forget which) of that 33% back to Mazda for some piddling sum like 180 million. So now Mazda pretty much owns itself again.

12. lorodz

lorodz

any other options..

13. I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned the Olds Quad four yet? There was an article a few years ago in Street Rodder (I think) that featured a modified T with one and it was pretty sharp as I recall. I'll look through my back issues for it.

bhurlin likes this.
  14. I've looked into the Quad4- they have a great look, much like an Offy. The later 2.4l engine is better (GM worked out most of the bugs like gasket leaks and such), but has an ugly beather base that is cast into the side of the block.

Quad4Rods (mentioned earlier) has all the goodies and the owner is a heck of a nice guy.

... I have nice clean 2.4l with all the wiring harnesses if anyone is interested:D

15. lorodz

lorodz

any pictures of the way these motors look...

16. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just this weekend I saw something from the fertile mind of GMC Bubba which,while it was mounted on a "T" powered speedster, would appear to be a solution for those engines that never had a mechanical drive for their ignition/timer/distributor. It was simply a GM HEI on a special mounting bracket and driven by a "Gilmer" belt off the front of the crank. The timing belts are accurate and positive, the distributors are relatively easy to find and, as hotrodders, the bracket would be a snap. So go ahead and shop for a computer contolled 4 banger and plan on junking everything that don't matter.

17. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's a good idea for most any thing you want to get running...would guess it would work with any thing too.

18. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Here is a Quad 4....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New gaskets solve head problems...early motors are better if your going carb..If you go this route buy a junkyard engine to strip all the oddball stuff you dont think about that wont be on the rebuilt longblock! If you have a spare engine to strip and keep it simple with coil packs and no ecu and buy the intake for webers that is sold through quad4rods its pretty straight forward...Have a 14mm wrench handy:rolleyes: Lots of bolt on components for this motor are obsolete and no longer avail..so some junk yarding unless you have that 2nd motor to steal from..Lots of these in yards though...

19. Mooosman

Mooosman

What about the 2.5 in early S-10s? I'm talking the TBI ones. With the stock TBI air cleaner, they look carbureted, and the TBI wiring harness can be pared down quite a bit to make it cleaner looking. Most of them came with an overdrive 5 speed, too.

Nick

20. 40Tudor

40Tudor

21. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Saw this one at a cruise yesterday

Attached Files:

• 611S.JPG
      611S.JPG
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
  22. lorodz

lorodz

what is that torque-tube..looks like a mazda 1,8

oh no a closer look its a gm..

23. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

He said it was an Iron Duke engine & trans from a Chevy S10, 1996 or so, hooked up to the A rear-end. (I thought Iron Duke was a Pontiac thing.) Pretty much a drop-in except for the exhaust manifold and motor mounts.

24. lorodz

lorodz

oh i see ...im going to the scrap yard tomarrow to see what i can find ..everyone i have talked to for a motor they only have small blocks or straight 6's i want something smaller so i can drive the hell out of it and get great gas milage while doing so..ill find something ..what about ford rangers what do they come with ..as far as a four cylinder ..

25. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

I don't know about the Rangers, but it'd be nice to keep it Ford.

My '63 Tempest four cylinder, four barrel, four speed will run all day at 70mph and get 24mpg. and that's in a 3500lb. car. Great gas mileage means I don't have to think twice about driving it anywhere and it'll pull strong up to about 95 if I need to pass somebody.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  26. Ditto on the Volvo drivetrain... you could get a RWD donor car up to the 740 model (plenty of them here) and get a matching and engine trans to bolt right in... hell... in theory you'd have everything. Give this thread a look... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292614

Option 2... but for more $ check out http://quad4rods.com/

FWIW my daily "dad" car is an AWD '99 Volvo V70R making around 300hp... kind've a sleeper.

:)

27. gtkane

gtkane

I've got a 2.5/T5 combo with new bearings and gaskets. I also have all the TBI stuff, incl. harnesses,ECU and fuel pump.

I you wanna come to Manitoba with a case of beer, you can have it...

[​IMG][​IMG]

28. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

generous offer

29. Any better pics of the Volvo engine?

30. tough engines... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Volvo-How-hard-it-is-to-a_29230.htm (ignore the audio... ugh!)

240 engines http://images.google.com/images?q=v...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

740 engines http://images.google.com/images?q=v...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

mine is a boring 5cyl mounted sideways... with a big turbo :)

:eek: sisu!
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Volvo-240-turbo-Finland_207251.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Tune-Volvo-740-Turbo_112141.htm take note at 3:40

fwiw... my model A will be running a SBC... with a full hood

edit... how's this for some cheap local running and driving donors?
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...t_sort=&awsp=false&systime=&rdm=1253592530582
    or
    http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...=240&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=50&submit=++++go++++