Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel torres, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

2. joel torres

joel torres

is that what those stains are it only started to fall when i kept banging my welding helmet in to it IL try and take it out as one piece tomorrow in case i need one made if none sells it i don't remember to far in the build for me to think about me sleepy good night

3. joel torres

joel torres

ok im ready to take the body off the chassis to do some final welding on the chassis and underside of trunk
    so i lifted the body off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

underside before any work done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. joel torres

joel torres

here after cleaning it up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and tac welding it all over the place i figured it would make it stronger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the seam sealer i have was kinda frozen in the tubes so i had to cut it open and put it on with a puddy knife it was like icing a cake with really smelly icing il smooth it out a little maybe and then paint no one will ever see it so i don't care this stuff is polyurethane nasty stuff that bonds like weld and doesn't taste to bad goes good with a glass of milk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yer gettin there Joel! Some light at he end of the tunnel, I just got started back up on my 47 Ford / S10 beater project...gonna set up an album for it here soon lol....time to go outside and do some sandblasting....oh boy!!

6. joel torres

joel torres

i wish i could sand blast but my big compressor isn't as good as it used to be carefull with sand blasting as it can warp the metal
    my dream tool would have to be a soda media blaster
    my birthday was the 11th if anyone wants to buy this for me as a late present just send it in the mail lol

7. joel torres

joel torres

more pics
    adding more support i just was having fun
    on a second note i can't believe how bad this car was when i started to take her apart i know it looks crappy but its the best i can do it is a hell of a lot of fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    remember the old floor supports from the donor car ( now gas tank mounts lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Joel, you continue to do a great job! That car is going to be solid as a rock.

9. my47soto

my47soto

Slow down Joel let me catch up bro, Im getting out this weeekend hopefully and start patch welding on the Desoto if I get a bottle of gas

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Joel,
    Keep it up man!!! That damn Plymouth is gonna be a sherman tank!! Good work!!!

11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

That is the most awesome case of perserverance I have ever seen in my life, we miss you on the p-15 forum, at least I do...Jc whitney has an original headliner and wind lace!
    Best of luck:)

12. joel torres

joel torres

ok i started making patch panels from the donor cars floor which takes longer then using new metal but its fun to learn and mess with
    noticed i used the area that was bead rolled from factory :D
    i first cut them to where they all fit together but i don't like welding when the metal just meet up its harder to just do tac welds and burn the egdes of the metal away i prefer overlaping the metal and hit it at both seams top and bottom i hate how messy it looks but i wont see it with carpet:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. joel torres

joel torres

ok some of the spots i welded burned metal further away so i remembered my friend potter welding two steel plates with an aluminum on the back so the weld wouldn't fall threw the weld does not stick to the aluminum and therefor closes the gap between the steel
    what i used to block the gap from behind
    [​IMG]
    its hard to see but there are a bunch of holes where i blew the metal away
    [​IMG]
    now its all filled in nicely thanks the the weld not sticking to the aluminum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is the underside that looks so ugly for now can't wait to paint and seal it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. joel torres

joel torres

ok started grinding some weld down working in small patches and applying the rust x paint and seam sealer and then i under coat the floor cause i was getting impatient
    i have to buy some sheet metal and have the rocker skins made up, patch some corners spots and i should be ready to place the body back on the chassis for pre final fit then i can mock up pedal and steering wheel placement and radiator support time ( i will delete the smog pump and stuff so i will be asking questions on that hopefully soon ) ready for more pics :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. joel torres

joel torres

here i applied rustoleum to the inside i know over kill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then shoot over to my friend billy,s house he gave me two cans of undercoat and lent me the gun to shoot it not only does he lend me tools that i dont have but i love to go to his house can you tell why
    i get to see her everytime

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Looking good. You'll be driving sooner than you think. The spray undercoating will hide all of the 'ugliness' you mentioned - I think it looks pretty good...........

17. joel torres

joel torres

sound deadening undercoat applied in minutes with the gun
    i recommend this to any car but do it out side this stuff stinks baddddd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. my47soto

my47soto

Damn Joel it almost looks like you know what your doing bro:cool:

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Keep at er Joel!!

20. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Looking better each time you post. You'll be on the road pretty soon!

21. 6berry

6berry

ur getting it done fast. i need to step up my pace and take some pics too. haha

22. joel torres

joel torres

me and 48dreams are hitting harry's u pull it in p.a. and another spot today

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

im impressed!

Lots of work, and great craftsmanship!

Use what ya got, make what ya dont

24. joel torres

joel torres

i bolted the body down to the frame to see where the steering column & brake pedal assembly will sit
    as for the steering if i want the neck to stick out pass the dash like normal i will have to extend the shaft & and shifting arm does anyone have photos they can send me on how they did this or did you use a truck steering colum
    for the shaft i was thinking of cutting the end off that has a tapered ( flat spots) end it fits like a key to the shaft connected to the steering box now i was thinking of welding a pipe that can slide over the shaft and weld the end peice back on giving me the extra length and also extending the shift rod so far thats the only idea i have in my head so let me know what you think
    i also have this idea of taking my original 47 steering wheel and make it fit the spline of the 86 gm column (can this be done) new column with orig wheel look?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  25. joel torres

joel torres

ok i got inspired today after looking at a fellow hamber's pictures on how he mounted the master cylinder under the dash its looks crazy hard to do so i figured my setup is a cupcake compared to what he did and went outside in the rain and cold weather and after an hour or so freezing my nuts off i mocked it up
    i used a ratchet strap going across to help hold it up then figured where the brake and gas pedal should be at and this is what i came up with now i have to figure how to secure everything correctly and strong
    i never finished this section of floor cause i knew i would have to cut it up for this next project. i will weld a bar going across under the dash to weld the steering column mount i cut out of the Monte so i can bolt the steering right to it
    who wants to lick the moldy steering wheel ???:eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

I really like your way of dealing with the rocker panels. I'm going to try something like that on my '50 Plymouth project.

27. joel torres

joel torres

ok today i place the front bench seat back in the car to figure how far the steering wheel will sit away from the dash or vise versa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next i checked the alignment of the steering shaft lines up perfect i just have to extend it a little
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next i decided to make a small bracket that can be unbolted to start holding the steering wheel mount with my goal to build it up to be super strong one piece mount
    i decided that the original emergency brake is a nice solid bolted metal plate so i removed it and seperated the handle from it
    i then bolted the plate back and bolted the steering mount from donor car now its time to connect the two by clamping the square tubes on to hold them in place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. joel torres

joel torres

im getting the idea of how its going to go together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i zip screw them to hold them together and when i take them apart to grind them clean all i have to do is screw it back together and the will go back the same exact way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. joel torres

joel torres

ok welded the brackets to their square tubes and im done for the night i will tack them together when they are bolted in then i will beef them up and add arms to the firewall
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man you are crankin on this plymouth!!! nice job!!!