Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phaeton vs. Convertible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hebster52, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Hebster52

Hebster52

What differences are there between a Phaeton vs. a Convertible.

Just the basic differences, no year by year details needed.

2. Convertibles have 2 doors, phaetons have four.

And, phaeton's are usually roadsters... No side windows. Convertibles have roll up windows.

3. Crease

Crease

If we're talkin early Ford, phaetons don't have roll up windows. They come in both 2 and 4 door models. If it's on your SAT tomorrow, a phaeton is to a sedan as a roadster is to a coupe.

4. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

In early cars a convertible was a drop top car with one bench seat like a coupe and a phaeton was a drop top car with a front and rear seat like a sedan.
    edit: oops, 2 folks typed faster than me!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

5. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Convertibles have roll up windows. Phaetons and roadsters have no roll up windows. Number of doors has nothing to due with it. Period

6. That is also one rare Somebitch!!!

7. Thanks for that.
    I need to change the title now.

8. Phaetons generally had roadster type cowls, no? ...and convertible sedans had windshield posts as part of the cowl.

i could be wrong though...

9. Hebster52

Hebster52

Thanks guys! That clears the two terms up a lot!

10. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This is funny, I am always being told that mine is a Phaeton. Then I try to explain to them it is a convertible sedan but most don't understand.:D

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      129.9 KB
      Views:
  11. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

You're right, they didn't make a phaeton in '39. 3,591 convertible sedans. It is confusing, isn't it?!:D

12. alsancle

alsancle

What further confuses things is companies such as Auburn, Cord and Cadillac used the term "Phaeton" on cars that were clearly conv sedans.

13. And VW currently makes a "Phaeton" that is neither a convertible or a Roadster but a full size luxury sedan. And BMW calls it's little sports car a Roadster, even though it has a fixed windshield and roll up windows, as did Mazda with the Miata/MX5. No wonder the public is clueless

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

3 general flavors of car:
    Closed car...solid roof, windows. You are indoors.

Convertible...top and windows go down, you are almost outside, maybe on the front porch. Put up the windows and roof and you are about as much inside as you would be in a closed car.

Open car...roadster, phaeton-touring...you are outside. Put up top and side curtains, and you are still outside but with a pretty good umbrella and a very inconvenient raincoat, really a poncho. It doesn't keep you dry or warm, but at least you can no longer see out well...

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

It doesn't keep you dry or warm, but at least you can no longer see out well...

hahahahahahaha!! thanks, I needed that.

16. hoof

hoof

Now this is a definition I can wrap my brain around!!! Well played.
    CHAZ

17. oj

oj

Hmm, i just finish this '32 phaeton in my avatar and it has solid 'A' pillars and roll up windows, glass rear window; i thought a roadster has different 'A' pillars, isinglass side and rear windows. But then i'nm far from an expert.

18. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

Thanks Bruce, perfectly clear if only I could see.

19. Well said, Bruce, and soooooooo true!!

20. Phaeton & Touring are the same right? Any one know the reason for the two terms? I hear 20's cars refered to as tourings more and 30's phaetons but not always.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no pheaton in your avatar. looks like a Cabriolet.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Touring is older term for car use, phaeton (from Greek mythology!) is an older-than-autos term applied once to some kind of carriage. Picked up by Detroit as a cooler term. Kind of Madison Avenue, try to make it seem classier. Maw and Paw drive a touring car to the feed mill, Clark Gable drives a phaeton to the Oscars.

23. OK that sounds logical, but why do T's always get called tourings and A's get called phaetons? I think I'll call my 24 a touriton or a phaetouring.

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Because the term came into auto use later.
    Remember also that ALL these terms are very fluid over time...cars of the earlier decades had some body types outside of our categories, and others that went extinct.
    Some terms were in use for a while, others were pure fluff from the PR department, like "Phaeton". Limos now have the driver indoors and sometimes no partition...class distictions have changed! Open cars are I think extinct, and their terminology applied to whatever the advertising department damn pleases. I think your T predates the use of "Phaeton" by Ford advertising, but postdates it's use for a carriage.

25. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

In the1920's Chrysler used the term touring car for the smaller (5 passenger) open 4 door cars and phaeton was reserved for the large (7 passenger) open cars. In their eyes Ford only made touring cars,

26. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Now, let's hear about speedster, cabriolet and sedanca-de-ville.

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

No one even knows about Vestibule limousines anymore...luxury cars are made for midgets nowadays. And the president rides an a damn TRUCK...where are we headed??