Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustoms With Radials!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pompadour, Sep 15, 2009.

1. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Exactly!
    I've driven both radials and bias ply hard on a bunch of hot rods and customs, but when I'm towin my Scotty behind my custom on the highway at the speeds I do, I'll take the radials every day.:D
    I just wish there was a radial that had more of a bias look, cause I do like "the look".

2. Fuck!

I think everyone here knows about the safety benefits of radial tires but why are we OK with tires that look like shit. Period. It's not OK to run fake Arduns or Olds valve covers but it's perfectly fine to run the ugliest tire on your prized posession.

Why the hell can't we all sign a petition and present it to the aftermarket tire manufacturers and show them that there is a demand for a radial tire that looks appropriate to the period the builder wants to immitate.

BTW...I run bias on my Plymouth and radials on my wife's DeSoto and the radials just look like shit. They are way too fat and the tread looks horrible. They are no comparison to a bias ply tire.

I feel very strongly about driving my cars. I think the car needs to be the "COMPLETE" package.

In my opinion if you are running a radial tire that is produced to today's standard you might as well have billet wheels also.

They just don't look right!!!!

BloodyKnuckles

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

maybe Im weird, but I always thought these old rides were for driving. I really doubt when a custom is driving down the road at 35 - 75 MPH anyone can really tell what kind of tires you are running.

when I have an old car that runs I drive it on a pretty regular basis. couple times a week at least depending on my schedule. to put crummy tires on your car to look cool parked just seems silly.

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

yuk...look at those raadials!:D

5. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Coker Classic Radials. Look pretty good. Drive Great.

[​IMG]

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Is it that time of the month again already? Geez, time flies.

7. aceuh

aceuh

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

May i say Bitchin ride?
    Ok thanx
    BITCHIN RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
    And i like the late 60s wheel/tyre combo too, pinner radials are ok
    but i suspect its harder to find a nice looking wide white radial,
    but then bassfire shots came up and im speachless....
    i never thought a radial WW tyre could look that good.

Did i say bitchen ride?:D

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

Yeah radials suck...

10. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

i know this may be "too new" - but it is what i got

diamond backs (car loves to cuise @ 70 mph w/o an issue)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

What he said "it's the bulge" that doesn't look right.
    Probably just personal preference.

12. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

That is complete bullshit...Its the overall look of the car, every aspect should be taken in..I've seen many cars that were spot on except for the ugly ass radial white walls..

Perfect example, the El Matador..When Murphy and the Striper restored it, they, for some ungodly reason, used radial tires..completely ruined the pure traditional look...No one is looking at that car thinking there are any other issues, just the tires suck....

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, that looks like crap. I'll take it! :D

14. McTullis

McTullis

I roll radials...so what? No one has ever said a word about it.

[​IMG]

15. DrJ

DrJ

Yes that IS a perfect example, but the only tire that would look right on the Matador is a US ROYAL MASTER!
    NOT just a Coker only-looks-like-a-Firestone* or anything else, so it really doesn't matter what tire is on it does it?
    Nothing currently available comes close, radial or bias ply so you just have to decide to overlook it.
    If Coker or anyone else repopped the US ROYAL MASTER I'm pretty sure they'd sell as fast as they could make them.

Look at the bigger picture, at least these cars aren't running dubs and rubber band tires!
    What's the next complaint, running rims with tubeless tire safety beads?
    NOT running tubes? After all, tubeless valve stems don't look period correct...:rolleyes:

Sheesh...:rolleyes:

Base coat / clear coat doesn't look period correct.
    Base coat without clear coat doesn't either.
    Flake vinyl is for gym equipment, not period cars.
    And there better be points in that distributor. :cool:

*If they are actually Firestones, made with Firestone rubber and carcass, why doesn't Firestone sell them?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, next month they are just going to post their post # from this month to save time and and space.

I would imagine that the majority of the hard core bias ply guys don't average 100 miles a week year round on their cars. Some don't drive their cars the miles in a year that HRLC drives in a long weekend.

Well, lets kick the poor old pony out in the pasture until next month and remember that to save time next month just post your post # from this month and the folks who side one way or the other can nod their heads in agreement.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

No matter what style you build, Pro Street, lowrider, jap turbo car,
    WWII-style hot rod etc... the wheels and their position is 70% of the
    cars appearance. That includes the type of tire.

And yes... I am a tire-freak... :D:D:D

[​IMG]

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm not a 'hardcore bias-ply guy'. I prefer them, yes (they just look right) but I don't care what others run on their cars. Open fendered hotrods look better with the classic profile of a bias ply tire is all. If someone wants to run radials, I won't fault them. When I had my '53 Chev I had bias ply's on it and drove it every day for 2 years (minus winters) without any problems. I didn't think they were that rough of a ride, they didn't 'stray all over the road' and they did fine in the rain. I'm a believer *shrugs*

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ever notice how the younger a fellow is, the more "hard-core" they are. Blanket statements abound, "radials suck! period"
    Guess what, I'm not sure of any statement that is guaranteed 100%.....

You're gonna die someday and space is infinite....that's about it.

I'll end up with RADIALS on my fenderless car and BIAS PLIES on my fendered '37....how messed up is that?!

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Darn, maybe not as much as that rain. Looks like a deluge. :(

22. novadude

novadude

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that a bunch of HOT RODDERS are sitting around talking about what LOOKS best, rather than what PERFORMS best? Wonder if the hard core guys in 1958 were sitting around getting all worked up about tire appearance, instead of concentrating on function?

IMO, for a driver use the parts that work the best as long as they do not detract from the overall "vibe". 18" wheels and 40-series tires would be a deal breaker, but you can keep "traditional" alive with a modern alternative that works better. On a fender car, 98% of people will never notice the difference. :)

BTW - I am old enough to remeber driving around on Bias-plys (barely). I was rocking the F-70/14, G-60/14 combo on my old Nova in 1990. Having had bias-plys, I can agree that they do suck compared to radials for handling and comfort.

23. Kustom guys probably were more worried about looking good than the performance back in the 50's as that is what a Kustom is about the look not the performance. Hot rodders may be a different story but this thread is about Kustoms not hotrods.

24. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Maybe i'm a wierd breed or something, but when I see a custom or anything else for that matter with radial wide whites... I can tell instantly if they're bias or radial. From 0-100mph...

They look like big ugly Krispy Kreme donuts... way too round.

Everyone here that posted pics of their cars with radials... would look 10X better with bias tires.

But hey that's just my opinion... run what you like.

-Chris

25. If I build a car to drive, I want radials on it so it handles worth a crap.

26. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one, and they all stink. However , I have to agree with Ryan. I've had both on the merc, the radials made it handle way too good. the 7.10 Firestones look correct , and kinda keep your eyes on the road. That shoebox would look excellent with radials, if it wasn't painted the correct color that it is.

27. robleticia

robleticia

I'm kinda biased...plied!

28. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

One of the guys who brought radials to this country (Jaques Bajer ) PERSONALLY told me to NEVER put radials on my '56 Desoto! He said that they had to soften up the suspension on the later cars to handle radials.

I had a real problem with the H78's I had when we moved here to Oregon. I switched to 760x15's and all the wander dissappeared. The have a curved profile instead of square like the letter'd bias plys.

Make sure your allignment is correct and you won't have any problems.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  29. Round tires? What a concept!:eek:

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The other post reminded me.....I put over 140K miles on my 55 Olds taraveling all round the country back in the 80's, early 90's. With 7.10-15 Firestone WIDE white (4 1/8") bias plys. After driving from Jersey to Branson Missouri on a trip, I thought I'd need a chiropractor by the time I got there!
    That's only because they didn't make WWW radials at the time. I wouldn't run bias plys on a car I want to drive a lot.
    And there's a difference between that and running fake Olds valve covers on a Chevy engine. Radials make the car more functional. A LOT more functional.
    While I love building traditional cars, I like DRIVING them even better!