Register now to get rid of these ads!

What causes a misaligned rocker arm?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yellow wagon, Sep 15, 2009.

1. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

I was out in the garage tonight and wanted to try and locate the problem with my oil fouling on the #1 cylinder of my 68 327. Found the issue....the valve stem seal is toast...torn and riding up and down with the valve with no sign of a holder/retainer? So thats my oil fouling issue in the cylinder but the real surprise I got was the intake rocker right next to it is mis aligned to the left of the valve stem :confused: Wasn't centered on it like it should be. What causes this? Bent pushrod? So basically my #1 cyl is a cluster haha

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yes, bent push rod would be the most obvious reason. Pull it out and roll it across a flat surface to see if its bent.

3. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

A bad rocker arm and or ball can also cause this , the tip will wear crooked and eat the valve tip ,rocker and the side of the stud.Anytime you see a cocked rocker chances are the side of the rocker slot has worn a groove in the stud.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If you dont have guide plates and bolt in studs .Basically factory .I was talking to a buddy of mine and when heads were stood up they fell over and bend the end studs.I used late model rockers to fix my one that walked to the side.

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

its got the factory screw in studs but yea no guideplates. I'll have to yank the rocker arm off tonight and investigate further. I'd like to check out the push rod too and see what kind of shape thats in