Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide front ends?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pontiacfreak, Sep 13, 2009.

1. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

Looking for imput. A friend said I could have the front stock axle set up under his model A, all seems to be in good shape and he thinks i should make it a suicide front end since im building my frame. Wondering any recommendations. Going to be on a 32 pontiac 5 window with no fenders.

2. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

I have done some searching on here about them but still looking for thoughts of if i should keep eye out for certain parts or if i should have most of it with the model A front end

3. I'd use all the A parts except the brakes, get some '39-'48 hydraulic("juice") brakes.

4. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

yeah i would upgrade the brakes, using disc brakes on rear on 9 inch.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Search (32 chevrolet coupe build) His build is prolly a lot like yours will be. John

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

can i see pics of this 32 of yours?

7. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

ford truck, the front brakes bolt right up you just have to change the bearings, and a little grinding on the spindle, BANG instant juice brakes, and it looks right

8. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

The front end from the tires to the top of the spring do not "know " how the spring is attached to the frame . In your case , where you are building your frame , the suicide type attachment would be for looks only .Lowering your frame in relation to your axle can also be accomplished by zeeing the frame and keeping the mounting point in its stock location They do call it suicide for a reason . LFE

9. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

heres some pics of mine maybe they will help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

pics of my 32 are in my profile, and ghost are you talking about hotrodben? he has a 32 chevy he is building i know. he has aswome car. The frame is not built yet. just making it out of 2 by 3 square tubing i believe.

11. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

A suicide front end is by no means a neccesity. Use of a deuce front crossmember, a 4 inch drop axle and a reverse eye front spring gets the front end low and is still a classic look.

12. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I would stay away from using the model a wishbone if you are going to hang the spring from it. Its thin compared to later years. Get yourself a 35-48 front wishbone.

Rob

13. Actually, F-100 brakes are better. Discs on a traditional rod, ESPECIALLY fenderless? Noooooo!

14. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

i will look into 35 to 48 wish bones and only reason im considering doing it suicide is bec i have most of parts and are free and in good shape. I got yelled at sorta when i was thinking m2 set up. Also same guy has disc set up for the 9 inch but not sure till i get to it. Might use some finned alumiinum buick drums he has on the front.

15. F&J

F&J

You need to know how high or low you want your car.

Search around for a pic or two of a car height you like. If you can't see how they did the front suspension on a car you like, then post a pic of the car, someone here will tell you exactly how to copy that cars ride height.

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

The front axle on an original 32 poncho was hung with 2 leafs packs. I would not use it.

Use all ford stuff. Easy to find and can get all new parts if you would like that is not real expensive. Thats what I am doing with my 29 pontiac.

17. This stuff on a dropped Model A axle would be the hot ticket.

18. humpie

humpie

I would suggest a panhard bar.Put one on my 28 and it steers alot better.:cool: