Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 54 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by socalmisfit, Sep 7, 2009.

1. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

here is my car i got a couple of years ago. the person that had it before wanted to repair the rust but didnt know what to do so they hacked it up a little. i have a little more to fix but its ok here is some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is some of the work that i have started last week i started the step notch and todat i stripped the rear axle so i can start mounting the four link tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i tapered the frame rails back to the notch so it is square and not angled like it is stock. ill post more after the link is done.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Looks like you're off to a good start on it. Ozelle the '55 Ford and Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup send friendly horn honks to your '54.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Coupe body styles are really cool... Looks like yours is going to be really low........

4. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

thanks man im going as low as i can i am even thinking about cutting the rockers down to about a inch and a half for a bodydrop. draggin is rad

5. Ole don

Ole don

Outstanding work, gad I wish I were young and healthy enough to start one like that today.

6. Are you keeping the spicer rear axle or opt for something a little stronger?

BTW,,I thought you sold this car last week?HRP

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Very nice start what are your plans for the engine tranny combo?

8. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

i did sell it but the guy gave it back to me after his wife chewed his ass and he said keep the money for the hassle lol. i guess the car wants to stay so i started to work on it. i think the axle will be cool it it just gonna be a cruiser

9. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

i am getting a 302 and i dont know what trans i am gonna run yet

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:cool:

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Looking good man, nice strong welds and good planning. Any reason for the shape of the notch instead of just a flat top?

12. Please keep the updates coming looks good so far.

13. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

thanks man. i did the notch that way just to be alittle different and it makes it look a little smaller but still have the clearance. also im mounting the bags on the link so i dont have to worry about alot of stuff up high

14. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

15. -TKL-

-TKL-

looks good, like the notch like that

16. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Thats a great car your workin on. I got one myself thats "under construction". Those repairs on the body seem pretty straight 4ward. Good luck on the whole build, looking forward to seeing more pics. Itll make a cool lil cruiser. :cool:

17. That notch is king,Keep us all posted on the progress.
    Keepin them low and drivem them slow....

18. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Can't wait until you tackle the sheetmetal repairs, luv watchin that stuff......subscribed!!

19. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

thanks man
    thanks ill be posting more tonight hopefully
    as soon as i get the rear bags done im putting the body back on the frame and that is when ill start frankenstiening her back together lol

20. lownslow

lownslow

looks good man . makes me really want to get back on my 54 . poor thing just sits there . too many other cars got done before it . kinda sad actually .

21. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

built the 4 link bars today had alot of running around to do so thats all i got done today. its all hand made from tubing no kit stuff here. im gonna start making all the mounting tabs tomorrow night after work.
    [​IMG]
    before and after those r the best bolts to use
    [​IMG]
    all tig welded 1 1/2 tubing for the lower tubes and 1 1/4 for the top tubes
    [​IMG]

22. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Wow thats a killer looking frame and 4 link.Its getting done CLEAN. Hats off to ya Keep doing wat ur doing:)

23. Socal
    I would not use that 54 rear as it is not real strong. Use a early mustang 8 in as they are just about the same width. Pull the backing plates off the 54 and put them on the mustang. That way you can keep the brakes the same as well as ease of hooking up the Emer brake cables.
    I have a 53 with a BBF and a C6. Broke the 53 rear 3 times then went to the mustang no more problems

24. socalmisfit

socalmisfit

thanks

thanks for the info but what was it that broke and what torque was you bbf puttin out im only planning on a small block and ive always seen shoeboxes run the stock rear and they work ok

25. Socal
    I broke 2 Axles and one ring and pinion set. Its a stock 390 so I guess 370 ft pounds. I am not sure the power is what did it as I am running G78 Wide Whites on 6in Chrome rims.

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i like those cars,,looks like you are off to a solid start...NICE welds, by the way....

27. desertdroog

desertdroog

Neat post, I really like '54 Ford Coupes...don't see too many around.

28. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

The body on yours looks about the same condition as I got mine. What rear end are you using, and who's 4link are you using, or are you making your own?

29. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

I guess I should realy read the whole post before posting. still a nice set up.