Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. club442

club442
    from ohio

sorry guys pics are goofy.[​IMG]

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Mr. Bundyman,

Thanks for asking. Actually, Tony Janes has all the pictures. I mainly provide captions and explanations. Stock and Super Stock Eliminators have always been ideal place for me although, over the forty-five+ years I've been at this, my interests have been piqued by an array of different challenges such as multiple carburetion, fuel injection, air-shifters, trans brakes, wheelie bars, and other technological developments as they came along.

The current Stocker sitting in my trailer is a fourth generation Camaro C/SA, LT1-powered piece. It is just as much a thrill to launch this car as it was to drop the hammer on the original I/S '57 Corvette that got me on the track in the first place. The element of my personality that brought me to California in 1961 and onto the track in 1963 was the desire to compete in motorsports. That urge has never waned and I'm a damned poor spectator so, when the day comes that the last Stocker has gone down the track, there'll be no reason to go back. It's getting tougher to derive any benefit beyond mere satisfaction out of it but, for my time and money, it's the only game in town.

c

3. That probably wouldn't be a good idea to post any "late model" stuff here.
    We've got a pretty comfortable home here, as far as how the moderators have treated us so far. This IS a traditional site ,so let's be careful.
    There are some photo albums on the first page of Classracer.com. Quite a bit of the newer stuff.

4. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The 1962 Gran Prix did not belong to Ramon. He drove it for the owners. I am not sure about the 1960 Pontiac, I think it was Truman Easly's car. The 58 was the reputation car. When the eliminator came along there was no more driving two stock cars.

5. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Guys, Thanks to Ron a.k.a. Club442 for posting the pics of some of the other Anderson Olds cars and one of Sonny Freemans cars. You might have to scroll around to see all of the pictures, and I apologize for the clarity, but they are re-prints of originals that were re-printed. Anyway, they made it. Sonny also ran a '59 or '60 Sedan Del. that was originally a service vehicle for Carroll Independent Fuel Co. At that time (and still are) they were located just blocks away from Anderson Olds in Balto. city and did some business back and forth. Supposedly the Sedan Del. blew the motor and was no longer to be in use so Sonny bought it for pennies. Thanks again to Club442 for your help. Until next time..... Dave

6. club442

club442
    from ohio

better pics of 65 442 b/s bb/s driven by sonny freeman

Attached Files:

7. club442

club442
    from ohio

another

Attached Files:

8. club442

club442
    from ohio

last one

Attached Files:

9. Thanks to Chuck Norton we have some more history to the In-Bomber! I was able to speak with Duane Dickens who had been friends with the Patrick Bros. all along, and when Ken and Don retired the '57 after the 1969 season, they loaned the car (sans engine and trans) to Duane who campaigned the car in 1970. Duane ran it with a 250hp injected 283 and 4spd, as opposed to the 283hp/283 4spd that had powered it with the Patrick Bros. He didn't make any other changes to the car, and once he was finished with it, it was retured to the Patrick Bros. in Craig Nebraska where it would remain sitting under a tree in the bushes. Apparently the adjustable ladder bars were made "adjustable" by having Acme house jacks cut and welded into them, allowing the rear to be torqued up or down. Duane is confident that he has some pictures of the car, and possibly some 8mm footage! I'm planning on going over to the shop tomorrow and will grab some more pictures! Thanks Chuck!
    -Dean

10. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Mark is right, we don't need to jeopardize this thread. If anyone is interested in newer drag cars, you can check out my online photo album.
    http://dragnut.smugmug.com/

11. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Yeah, Markyac, and Mr. Rice your right, I wouldnt want this thread to change in any way, thanx for setting me straight

12. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Can anyone identify the '57 Chevy behind Woodys Olds in the top picture? It's the McMaster & Nelson M/Stocker that I had the privelege of driving the last few points races to the 1968 Div.1 stock eliminator title. Picture is Tulsa, Ok. 1968.

13. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Here's your "fill-in info" Colsey -- you got it correct. See 442Mikes pic of the wrecked car. Oldsmobile provided a new body and the car was back on the track (2nd version) in 2 weeks! This mishap occurred in March, 68 between Winternationals and Springnationals. The 1st version car won class (E/S) at Pomona defeating Bill Shrewsberry in the factory sponsored 68 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 car. (A huge crushing blow to the Chrysler camp because they had planned on dominating that class with their Swinger in 68!)
    Then it was on to the Springnationals for the HUGE Stock Eliminator Victory in version #2. The H/O was an F-85 conversion done to factory (Demmer) specs. Oldsmobile provided exactly all of the equipment and trim that Demmer used to build H/Os in their Detroit shop. There was absolutely no difference in this car when it was done(and certified by NHRA)except for the fact that the conversion was done in the Chesrown shop rather than at Demmer Tool!! Jim Wheeler, service mgr at Remlinger Olds in Massillon, OH took over the driving duties of the Garey 68 W-31 Ramrod car for the 69 season as Garey got the 69 W-31 Smothers Bros car deal. Wheeler later campained the Remlinger 72 Cutlass ragtop after they sold the 68. ( Mike posted pics of Wheelers 72 car elsewhere in the thread!!)
    See MIke --- I did "chime in" with the "filler" info!!
    Thanks
    Tweed

14. 442Mike

442Mike

It's just better to hear it from someone who was there!! Thanks buddy!

15. 442Mike

442Mike

Here's the Remlinger sponsored car mentioned, it was posted in another forum.

Attached Files:

16. Dog427435

Dog427435

Bob – that is a fabulous collection of drag racing shots!! There are thousands of pictures to look through!
    Please post some on this thread! :D

17. Some photos taken today...
    -Dean

Attached Files:

18. colesy

colesy

Looks fantastic Dean! As a kid growing up, we had a neighbor down the street who had a 57 with the same color combination and even chrome reverse rims like yours. Man how I loved that car!! Thanks for keeping us up to date on the restoration.

19. colesy

colesy

Dean's photos reminded me of this old Hurst ad from the mid 60's. It was a favorite of mine back then and still is today.

Attached Files:

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Gallon of hi-test, about $2.85, FRAM oil filter, around five bucks ... Colesy's old ads -- PRICELESS!

21. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

That sure is purdy!

:cool:

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

indeed! thanks colsey, haven't seen that cool ad for years! :cool:

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I kinda like this one.

Linda told me the photo was taken for Ford in 1968 when they started installing Hurst shifters as OEM equipment. Hubert looks pleased!

Attached Files:

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I made the same thoughts as Mark known to Colesy in a private post. I cant for the life of me recall where the Jr Stock class cutoff was but I dont remmeber any new cars in there. Im sure theres a great many people on here who only know what they read about it but to those of us who were there it means something. Id welcome a second thread on any and all stock eliminator cars after the Jr Stock era. Im old and never accomplished a whole bunch but I had one hell of a time racing all the guys in Jr Stock in the old days when drag racing was actually fun. The idea of racing to 1000 ft never even occured to us, with 185 hp and 3690 lbs with driver in P/S you were done if you lifted there, yould roll to a stop in the next 320 feet ! You even had to shift the stock transmission with a clutch, imagine that ! I ran a number of stockers after that point that I never mentioned just because they were not Junior Stockers. I no longer race but I sure have enjoyed all this reading on here......Woody Woods.

25. colesy

colesy

Mark Y was right-on in his post. Everything here on the HAMB is suppose to be pre 65 and the moderators here have been very good at looking the other way so far with our thread when later model photos are posted. It's difficult to cover the whole Junior Stock era and not include some later model race cars such as the Buicks, Oldsmobiles of Ron Garey, Dodges and Chevies of Boertman and the like. As far as the cut off, it would be nice to keep cars and race coverage pre 72. I tried to start a Super Stock thread here (67 and up) a while back and they axed it pretty quick and understandably so. Maybe one day we can start an all new website dedicated to all Stock and Super Stock racing where we can include all the great racers and cars from all the best decades, but for now let's just keep doing what we're doing and have some fun!

26. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

OMG, that's a twin to the very first car I owned back in 1969 with only 1 exception; mine was a post car. Mine was exactly the same color combo, turquoise with white top. 210 with no quarter trim. I was only 14 at the time and my step dad helped me buy it from the original owner. It had only 49k original miles. It was 283 2bbl, auto. When we painted it, we painted it turquoise all over and put the Belair trim in the quarter panels and the dash. We had a friend roll and pleat the interior and put a set of mid 60's Chevy wire spinners on it. I didn't think it was fast enough, so I sold it before I ever got my drivers license. Believe it or not, the car has stayed in the same county ever since. It led a pretty rough life for a while and has been sitting for about 20 years now with a smashed in quarter from hitting a tree.

27. 65deluxe

65deluxe

For those not familar with it, here's another decent stock / Super Stock form. Though it deals mainly with the current run of cars, conversation relating to the "old days" always seems to be welcome.

http://classracer.com/classforum/index.php

28. Alliups

Alliups
    from California

As a respectful point of information regarding the car in question. The ONLY criteria that is relevant after 40 years of possible changes on what were purpose built race cars, meaning details and equipment changed the second the cars arrived at the dealer, is the vin. What axle or type of drum fitment ( incidently the stock drums that came with the factory installed keyed axles were no different when fitted over the Henry's axles at Hurst ) or paint details or whether a car has the appropriate AM block-off plates with the right numbers or the correct carbs (#4384- approx. 570 cfm- Tom Benvie- source ) doesn't mean much. These cars were built as an NHRA legal blueprint so that any AMX following with the same mods andparts could race in the class. Radiused rear wheelwells and all the other details can be indicators of a Factory/Hurst SS, but they are by no means the final word. Same thing if some details are missing or changed. Things change. Many of the cars have updated equipment to comply with present rules. The vin doesn't change ( or shouldn't- excepting the '70 factory reassignment numbers given to a handful of carsback in early 1970 ). XXX560 through XXX613 is what counts. If the car has the reassigned '70 vins then they need a paper trail ( the '70 vins are very distinctive and in essence make the new "build" date the same week in January of 1970 as the cars were actually built at the AMC factory during January of 1969.
    In short, the paper trail has to be airtight and anything other than the run of 53 production cars ( one prototype was built that is not part of the 53) is not a production Hurst SS/AMX- even a subsequent AMX built to SS specs and that might have been modified at Hurst. Hope this helps.

Steve Avery

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  29. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Found this pic last night. Anyone know anything about this car?

Attached Files:

30. agtw31

agtw31

keep showing all these 442's.

don't be surprised if this whole thread gets the boot