Register now to get rid of these ads!

vin numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superbeeme, Sep 6, 2009.

1. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Hay, I'm sure there is someone who can tell me what to do about the panel truck I bought. The vin number tag is gone, yes missing, MIA. I don't know what to do. Do I make one and guess at the numbers? Do I try to find one from someone who has junked one. I'm not sure what year the truck is. Could be 1955 - 1957 but how can I tell for sure? I need help, and lots of it.

2. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

Start with a make?

3. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Okay it is a Chevrolet 3100 panel truck. The PO bought for the motor and has no papers and no vin. It could be 55-57.

Attached Files:

4. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

Ford vins are on the glovebox and the frame crossmember between the radiator and the engine mounts, or on the frame rail.
    I can't help you with Chevys, but...that's a really nice looking truck! Looks solid as hell.

5. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

you can buy new vin tags...like $8.99 plus stamping the numbers....but you will have to have a vin....do you have a title with it on it?

Search it...tons of info

6. Your truck is either a second series '55 or a '56. Without the hood and fender chrome it's impossible to tell which, as that was the only difference I know of. Fender emblems were the same both years, but they were mounted below the ridge of the fender on '55 and above the ridge on '56. Hood chrome is different for '55 and '56, maybe somebody can post photos of '55 and '56 hood emblems for comparison. I owned a second series '55 back in the '80s, if I remember right there was a serial number plate on the driver's side A pillar, don't remember if the number is stamped on the frame. Maybe somebody who has more experience with the '55-'59 Chevy trucks can help.

7. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Check the left front frame rail just behind the core support. My '66 had it there. I don't know if Chevy was stamping frames earlier than that.

8. squirrel

squirrel

look on the top of the driver side frame rail, near the steering gear, it might have most of the vin there. The first few characters should start with H255 then have the assembly plant letter and the 6 digit serial number.

it's a 55 unless the front fender was changed

9. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Okay the fender has holes for the 3100 badge below the ridge. The hood does not have the ridges like the 57 model on the hood. I will look on monday to see if any numbers are on the frame rails at the steering box. The vin was on the body just inside the door opening but it is gone. If I do find numbers I can look them up in a parts book I have. Who can run the numbers to check if its stolen?

10. squirrel

squirrel

Any policeman should be able to run the numbers. If it's stolen that very same policeman should be able to run you into the local jail.

11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I love it when Squirel brings the funny!

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

My '55 has a vin tag riveted on the drivers upper A pillar.

14. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Thanks to all. I will go monday and look at the frame rail. As I stated the plate on the a pillow is gone only two holes remain. I will see if there is something on the frame. If not well go from there.:cool:

15. squirrel

squirrel

The VIN tag (about 1" x 2.5" size) was spot welded on, there is also a generic data plate (about 3" x 4") that was riveted on.

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

lol

17. vertible59

vertible59

Georgia did not issue titles for vehicles until '63, I think. All you should need is a bill of sale and to find the VIN on the chassis to match the numbers on the Bill of sale. You will need to find the numbers so that a law officer can inspect and verify that they are the same on the frame and document.

18. great info thanks for the extra info

19. Larry T

Larry T

Unless the numbers off the A pillar are being used on another vehicle.
    Larry T

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Sir.... You are my hero

21. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

If you do find the numbers on the frame, it still might be wise to check if the numbers are still in the Georgia "system". It's possible that the vin plate and title are currently being used on another truck.

22. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Sorry Larry T. I type so slow you beat me to the same comment.

23. Tag is supposed to be on "the rear face of the left hand door hinge pillar" ... the spotwelded stainless tag was put on after paint and it's not that unusual for one to just fall off. As I read ahead in this book, for '59 they add "right side of cowl under hood" and just to make things confusing we have a '59 that has the serial on the data tag on the rear doorjam, down low, like later and bigger Chevy trucks had.

If you have to stamp one, a '55 2nd series serial for a 3100 is H255A-xxxxx; X's are the sequential production number starting at 01001; the last factory number by this book is 60531, so if you numbered yours above that it shouldn't conflict with an existing number.