Register now to get rid of these ads!

Half Moon Bay 1967

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roseville carl, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Mick Coyne likes this.
  2. RAY With

RAY With

Its working fine and I was surprised at seeing the diggers run side by side smoking them all the way to the end. Its been a while. Thanks for posting the video for us to see.

3. skullhat

skullhat

that was a cool vid

looked like the little read wagon to me in a couple shots, awesome archive forsure

skull

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It works for me and it's pretty damn cool!

5. moses

moses

kool video wish it had sound .....jeffrey

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Way Cool!! And I just happen to be wearing my Half Moon Bay Drags T Shirt Right now!

Deuces likes this.
  7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME.....Great little video....

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Wow! Very cool indeed!
    Man, I need to dig out the big box of 60's 8mm & super 8mm movies I shot over the years. Bet I haven't looked at them in 30+ years. Need to transfer them to DVD before they disappear. I'm not smart enough to do it.

9. Mopar34

Mopar34

Great stuff, man! Thanks for posting. Love the old stuff.

10. Looks like the toughest part was standing on top of the cars to film the races!

Did they ever get grandstands or bleachers before they tore it down?

I like seeing the 4 cars running at once!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  11. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

that's a great video! interesting to see 3 cars running down the strip at the same time. very cool, thanks for sharing.

-scott noteboom

12. 60 Belair

60 Belair

HEY bad ass video thanks for sharing with us !!!
    later Andy ​

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Outstanding!! HISTORY! Thankyou. Lippy

14. Chuck R

Chuck R

cool
    i remember taking home movies at fremont back in the mid sixties.I should see if the are still at my dads house.

15. Skull yep it was the Little Red Wagon. I remember in 60 or 61 when Big Daddy made his first west coast swing, watching him warm up the Swamp Rat, and the Nitro in that thing I can still smell. Also making a big mistake and parking at the fence behind the start line when the first jets came to town and they filled my radiator with straw from the hay bales in front of the fence. Overheated on the way home and had to stop and clean out the radiator. Also have real fond memories of the Allison powered Green monster running at HMB, my favorite car of all time, but thats another story. The pits were dirt then and the machines were just inspiring to a young teenager running a 48 flathead Ford...............I quess if you live long enough it all comes back in style..........
    Wingnutz, yes they did have bleachers but not like you see today I think there was like two sets on each side of the strip.......

16. mikes51

mikes51

Cool video. I vaguely also remember two bleachers just as roseville carl said. I remember watching the races further on down the strip. There was just a low wood fence with some wire mesh attached to it. I do recall the Highway patrol or police who kept an eye on things telling us to move. We were sitting on the ground leaning back on the fence, apparenty that was unsafe and we had to move behind the fence for safety. Ha ha, you could have kicked that fence down with your foot.

Interesting technique were the guys running their harleys with apes. They had foot shift setups but they didn't use their foot to operate the shift lever. Most laid down on the tank for less wind resistance, reached up with the right hand to operate the throttle. Then with your chest laying down on the gas tank, you were in perfect position to pull that normally foot operated lever with your left hand. (dogs on the tranny were ground so the clutch wasn't really needed)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  17. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Love see that stuff. Very cool.

18. So I just get home from visiting the in-laws in Roseville (Sun City) ... jump on the H.A.M.B. ... and the very first thread I open is by @roseville carl ... who posted some very C:cool::cool:L movie footage shot by his brother-in-law. :)

I'm pretty sure that Andy "The Rodfather" Brizio was still the flagman/starter at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip in '67 ... perhaps his daughter Terri (@Born a HotRodGal) will confirm that ... and/or post some of her father's photos (or movies) from the Half Moon Bay Drag Strip in the '60s.

Here's a few pics culled from the Internet:

Half Moon Bay Dragstrip logo.jpg
    Don Prudhomme with HMB 'Theme Girl' Tammy Thomas.jpg
    HMB Drag Strip Patch.jpg
    Champion Speed Shop Dragster @ HMB.jpg
    McLennan vs. Garlits @ HMB.jpg
    Jim McLennan Champion Speed Shop Dragster @ HMB.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Deuces and Mick Coyne like this.
  19. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

Yep he was the starter, actually I just confirmed he was the only starter at Half Moon Bay. I don't have any of the pics from those days, I don't think there was many. But I will look into it

20. Terry didn't Andy have the used car lot next door to Champion Speed Shop before he got into the instant T's I think I remember my buddy buying a 40 Ford from him with a full load flathead in 60 or 61 .........
    course I remember the big pic of the Champion Speed Shop Special on the side of the bldg with the "Worlds Fastest Chevrolet 167.54" or something like that.....and going down to Andys to see what he had new in stock....

21. GOONZ

GOONZ

Thanks for the posts and a little nor cal history.

22. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

No car lot, just the Instant T shop, then Champion Auto Parts, Then Andys Wheel & Tires (the tire shop is still there) but he probably sold a few cars through there.

Take Care
    Terri

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  23. RodStRace

RodStRace

I remember going there as a kid, it wasn't the weekend the Little Red Wagon was there, but I did remember Roth's TF car. Just a few years ago, I saw a picture of it with the stripes and the trailer there. Up 'till then, every pic I saw was bare or Yellow. Thanks for reviving the memories!

24. HitIt

HitIt

Great video, thanks for posting. I grew up in Half Moon Bay in the 70's and during the 90's was part of the movement and sound tests to get the drag strip going again. It didn't work but regardless great memories and vid.

25. Irish

Irish

Mom and dad were at the early 1961 HMB race which Garlits came to. My mom took these pictures at the event. Does anybody have any info on any of the cars? Besides the Glass Slipper and the SR Too.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  26. ardyboy

ardyboy

Hmb

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  27. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Great video Carl!
    I raced there starting in 1963 when I was 16, yep, Andy was my flag starter.
    I lived in Daly City, right across the street from my folk's house was the
    El Camino Motel, Big Daddy came out from Florida to race at HMB and stayed at that motel.
    I spoke with him a few years ago and he remembers.
    Champion Speed Shop right down the street, Daly City Auto Wreckers right up the street and a
    gas station right next door. what a great place to grow up for a young gear head;
    now across the bay in in Walnut Creek, what memories!
    Mick

Deuces and Jalopy Joker like this.