Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone folding roof experiences ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-lowrider, Sep 5, 2009.

1. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Hi,

I`m planning to install something like a canvas folding roof in my 1930` Ford Model A 5 wdw-coupe. Has anybody experiences with that kind of mod ? Is there maybe an aftermarket product ?

Thanx and greeetz

Markus

2. Squablow

Squablow

3. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

That really would be an option. And you`re right: The roof should look like the original insert from the outside...just hiding it`s little gimmick. Maybe that "design" would be easier to make:

[​IMG]

4. We have had several threads about this over the years. Dig a little I am sure you will find tons of info.

5. A 2CV roof system would be easy and cheap to install - well it would be here, I don't know what availability of 2CV parts is like over there. The 2CV system can easily be adjusted for width or length so could easily adapted.

6. DrJ

DrJ

7. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

i did a sliding rag on my wagon from streetbeat just letting you know had no problems if you go that way with it cant really see it good in the pics i have on computer u can kinda see the outline of the top in the first two and the last pic u can kinda see inside the car if u want send me a pm and i'll take some better pics of the top

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      450.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      293.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Modify a V.W. ragtop

9. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

@outlawsteel: my mail: markus @ the-lowrider.de

10. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Wonder how hard this would be to fit the side rails and such on a car that already has a hole in it and not specifically cut for the certain ragtop. I have a 35 dodge 4 door with a huge hole that I would love a sliding rag top, or even the one that rolls back and buttons as pictured above.

11. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Does anybody know the exact measurements of that "hole" in the roof of an 1930 Ford Model A 5-window-coupe ?

12. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

As posted by Squablow, Streetbeat customs makes slidingragtops in custom sizes and are made to order. They also have the option of a headliner on the inside of the slidingragtop that hides all of the mechanisms. We have installed a few of them and properly installed they dont leak in wind noise or rain and you cam make them seal tight enough to drive through a carwash and not leak. I know this is a tuner car but it is my sisters car that had a tree fall on it 4 years ago .so we installed a sliding ragtop instead of a new roof skin and it still works good and doesnt leak. Streetbeat offers a few options also when it comes to operating the sunroof,my sister went with the manual open and now wishes she had purchased the electrically operated version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  13. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

streetbeats rail system is aluminum and can be trimmed to fit in any application all you have to know is the size of the hole that is in your roof.

14. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

That sounds quite good. Thanx a lot!

15. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Another question:

Right now the top wood kit is not in good shape, the bows as well as the frame. To insert such streetbeatcustom-top do i need that wood parts or are all those parts replaced by the streetbeat-kit ?

16. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

The streetbeats kit has a top frame and a bottom frame that sandwiches the roof skin in between them. You will probably have to do some trimming to your stock sheetmetal so you shouldnt need the top wood. There is a little flange to the bottom frame so you could drill and screw the left over wood to the frame for more support but with the rigidity of the streetbeats frame I would say you dont need the wood. Streetbeats has a good tech team you could Google them and give them a call.

17. Lono

Lono

Low rider...... what are you up too???? I'm watching :D