Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Pump Installation, or am I a tard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LOWCHIEF, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

New pump works... funny though when the guy at the parts counter "tested" the old pump with his hand for suction, it worked! Made me look stupid, and then I started thinking that other shit was wrong/broken! However, tossed it together and only had to prime the carb twice and it ran!

I have a hard line from the fuel tank to the engine compartment, then a few inches of rubber line to a fuel filter with another 6 to 8 inches of rubber line to the fuel pump. I then have a hard line running from the fuel pump to the carb. If one of those sections of rubber lines were too large and there wasn't a good seal, would that cause issues for the system to "not work"?

I'm re-using a section of rubber line and the old fuel filter as the smaller line seems to seal much better than the new stuff. I'll start replacing section by section to see if I run into issues. That fuel filter is probably 15 to 20 years old!

'Course now I have some leaks from the hard line at both the fuel pump and the carb. I'm hoping taping the threads re-tightening them will help with that issue.

2. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

well, you can file this under the 'I R TARD' section.

I just broke/sheared off the hard fuel line at the carb. Now I have to figure out how to get that piece out?

shit.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Dude. Take a break, and breath through your nose. Have a cold one. A few deep breaths...you can do this. Seriously, you can do this...

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

unhook your battery,dont take much to make a big poof.you sheared the steel line at the fitting?

5. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

Yep. Flush with the side of the carb.

A friend of mine came by and tried to use some piece of a tap or something, and then promptly broke THAT off (inside the fitting) as well.

This is a like a comedy. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

6. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep, should be 1/8 pipe thread in the carb. Thanks to your friend busting of a Ez out in the fitting you now have a real can of worms going. If you were here in Phoenix we would pull the carb and mount it up in my mill,then drill several holes in the remains of the fitting threads to relieve the pressure on the ez out. Get the ^*%^* ez out out then drill the fitting out to tap size and pick the remaining bits out.

8. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I did an oil change for a fellow on an off topic Merc. Before the oil change he asked me how hard it would be to replace the rear seal because it had been leaking oil in his drive. I told him I would need to pull the motor etc. So I start to drain the oil, when I went to crawl under the car again there was oil all over the floor -- it had overfilled the pan by several quarts. Sure enough, fuel in the oil. I swapped out his pump and noticed that the weep hole was plugged so all of the leaked fuel was going into the oil. He sure was happy with no more oil on the ground :)