Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

200 More, I hope. Lots of pictures please!!

Attached Files:

2. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is what I know on drivers and divisions: Paul Baker Div 7, Bob Bales Div 3, Jon Calander Div 3, Phil Chisom Div 3, Don Harris Div 4, Bob Nottingham Div 6, Obert and Graham Div 3, Whitney and Price Div 7.

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You can add Hinkle, Soucy & Woods div 2, 59 Chevy

4. colesy

colesy

Hey Henry, Rick Jones is a fairly easy one since he won Indy in 1972, but Frank Cantusci maybe a little tricky. Lots on he and son Gianni's Super/Stockers but nothing that I can find prior to that.
    As for Jones, I believe he moved up to Super/Stock soon after with a 55 Chevy?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. colesy

colesy

I finally found a side view of Mike Bowyer's 57 from Surrey British Columbia. Mike was the H/S National record holder for parts of 68 and won class at the 68 Winters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

While updating the list, Bob "Bales" spells his name "Bayles". Minor item, but fixable. He now lives in Van Nuys, CA.

John

7. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Bill, I traveled with Rick(NHRA DIV 1) in the 70's when he ran the 66, then he built a 67(8) Camaro for SS and his last was the 55 SS(I hope I got the order right). While traveling Rick told me of his previous cars, one being a brand new Z28 that he turned into a stocker) but I have never had a good memory. One story I remember is he and his race partner at the time were flat towing from a race and were almost home when a car cut them off and the race car ended up on top of the tow car(as best as I can remember the story).

Frank, also DIV 1, ran many 55/57 Chevys, including a wagon. Henry.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. colesy

colesy

Thanks for that Henry!! I wonder if Rick is still around. We should invite him here, I'm sure he would enjoy it. I've added more photos to the above post including the Concorde Tire ad. There is a nice color photo out there somewhere of Rick's 55 Chevy Super Stocker that I saw about a year or so ago. Didn't know about the Camaro.

9. colesy

colesy

I don't think we've discussed Tom Akin and his Lead Sled yet. Tom's 427/425 1969 Chevy Kingswood wagon did real well on the AHRA circuit in 1970 and I believe won the championship that year. The car is still around. I believe it was for sale as recently as this year or last. Here's a link to more photos and info on the big ol' beauty........
    http://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG75...06541/**http://www.1969chevy.com/Leadsled.htm

Attached Files:

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks John ... its done!

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Tony ... additions made!

12. colesy

colesy

As a follow-up to the above post on Tom Akin, get this!! ......
    I google Tom Akin and low & behold Tom is working at Carousel Motors in Iowa City!!! Here's Tom's photo on the site and his bio:

Tom Akin
    Tom has been selling Mercedes-Benz vehicles since 1988. During his years with Mercedes, he has owned and driven 240D, 190E, 300DT, 300D, SL380, C-230, E320S4, C3004 vehicles! In past years, Tom has been involved in drag racing on the national level (1970 top Stock National Champion), 1969 425/427 Kingswood Wagon (LEAD SLED), a feature winner at Tunis Raceway in Waterloo and involved with dirt stock car racing, currently still racing local Figure 8 races with his son. Tom enjoys golf, bowling and gourmet cooking in his free time.

Tom's E mail address is on there as well, so I invited him to join our little group. Geeeze, I wish all the old Junior Stock guys were this easy to find!!!
    BTW,
    If you happen to be in the Iowa area and you think you might like to buy a brand spanking new Mercedes, Audi, VW or Mazda, just give Tom a call.
    (mention the 10% off Junior Stock appreciation discount) :D

Attached Files:

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Division (2) added ... Thanks!

14. Ron Rizzo, of Rizzo & Pasos, '69 Plymouth six pack car C/SA was a Division 1 car

Dom

15. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

One for tonight, Gary Grassi. Tony and Chuck should know this guy. Steve, I guess you need to add another name!

Attached Files:

16. colesy

colesy

Hey Steve;
    You can put Preston Ontario's Bob Slater down as Division 1 as Cayuga was his home track back then. I have a nice writeup on Bob and his 57 from the early 70's that I'll post soon.

Attached Files:

17. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Wasn't Cayuga in Div 3 till about 1973 when it was changed to Div 1 ??

Bob

18. colesy

colesy

And Bob Moore was out of Washington State putting him in Division 6.

Attached Files:

19. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Bob neither Chuck or I remember the black 57 hardtop. The picture was taken at Fremont.

20. colesy

colesy

Yep, you're probably right Bob. I know St. Thomas had the WCS Div 3 Points meets all through the 60's and Napierville Quebec was Div 1. so all of Ontario must have been in Div 3.
    Hey Steve, please change Bob Slater to Div 3.

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Roger,
    Could you tell me what issue of SS&DI the "Professional Stockers in the Land of Ned" photo is from?
    I just got back from Ronnie Evans' place with a load of original photos that I will be posting as time permits. One of the photos he had was of that '57 next to Buckshot but someone blanked out all the lettering on the quarter panel.:confused:
    Thanks, Verne:)

22. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Terry Clark Div 1
    Dave Conners Div 3

23. pontiyak

pontiyak

Hello there. I just signed up with this group yesterday but I've been attempting to read all pages since last winter -- up to pg 64 so far.
    I read yesterdays postings re Cayuga, Div 1 or 3. I ran there in 65 and later and it was always div 1.

24. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Wilder & Cowles raced in Division II and were from Montgomery, Ala. Neal Cowles is still building race cars.
    I would like to be added to the list if I qualify. I won the first ever points race in Gainesville in '69 driving Sherman Adcock Sr's '67 427 Biscayne. I also won stock at the first points race held at South Georgia Motorsports Park in 2004, hopefully it won't be my last.

thanks

Jimmy Parker

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  26. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

How about adding "Sonny" Freeman to THE LIST. He drove ALL the Oldsmobiles for Anderson in Baltimore,MD and also a 1959 Impala in H/SA that he owned. Look for some new pics of him in a 1965 442 in B/S and BB/S. Also to be posted soon is a photo of his Chevy named "Top Dog". Thanks, Dave.

27. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Somehow we forgot Buddy Ingersoll, N/S '56 Chevy, Div 3.
    Bob Rice

28. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Damn, Jimmy! Glad to see you here. It's good to have a few more active racers who've been at it since God-knows-when hanging out here! Many of the people who habituate this thread are wonderful fans of stock but most of them haven't realized that Stock is just as much fun in 2009 as it was in 1965 and the racing is just as tough. It's just that some of the cars are newer and the technology is a little different.

c

29. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve, here's a few more locals to add to the list. I thought I had added some of these before. Always loved the cars with names.

Billy & Bobby Garris, A/SA '63 Plymouth
    Guy Hamilton, A/SA '63 Plymouth "Tiger Tuff"
    Harold Young, D/SA '62 Plymouth
    George Duff, I/S 57 Chevy 150 sedan "Jeopardy"
    Gerald Rouse, K/S '57 Chevy 2dr wagon "The Golden Chariot"
    Mickey McGlawhorn, I/S '57 Chevy 210 hardtop "The Boozer", former Bobby Warren/Bud Rowe "Top Cat"
    Larry Whitley, H/SA 62 Plymouth wagon "The Bandit"
    Bill Fodrie, G/SA '62 Dodge wagon "The Mover"
    Frank Sawyer, D/S '68 Z/28 Camaro "Scalphunter"
    Bobby Brown, A/S '66 Fairlane
    Hubert Penland, N/S '56 Chevy 210 sedan

Also, Charlie & Jeff Taylor's dad had a '57 2dr wagon named "Hot Stuff", don't remember what class it ran though.

30. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here