Register now to get rid of these ads!

is there such a thing as a 6" headlight bulb with high/low beams?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

kicking around an idea for the car, , , i know the 7" bulbs have high/low beams, just wondering if there is such a thing as a 6" headlight bulb that has high/low beam, , , maybe some type of import?, , , anyone know?

2. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Sure, any of the quad headlight cars form the 60's had dual element on the low beams. An example would be the low beam(outside) bulb on a 64 Galaxie. I useta know the part #. Can't remember, maybe 3001.

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i always thought they were seperate,,,,when one was on it was low,,,,both on was high....hmmm, , ,

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The high beams are single filament...the "lows" are double filament.
    Look at the plug area of the lamp and you'll see two prongs on a high beam, three on a low beam.

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have a '75 Kawasaki H1 motorcycle with a 6" headlight. Never checked to see how hard finding a replacement would be.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The round quad headlight lights are smaller than six inches. I'd look at bike lights or check into using a metal reflector with a H-4 bulb and maybe making or cutting down a lens.

In the UK and a bit spendy but they do exist http://www.outbackautomotive.co.uk/...ound-12-volt-37w-60w-489951-130295-283289.php

From the KC parts list http://www.kchilites.com/repl_daylighter.aspx

You may be able to to a decent 4X4 shop and find out for sure that the lens is 4 in in dia and not the housing.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. corsair

corsair

Round quads are 5.75 inches, and the high and low beam are always seperate in the original sealed beams. There are TONS of H-4 conversion lenses out there that let you put the high beam and low beam into one socket. I did that to my old o/t truck so I could put driving lights in the other holes.

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Ditto....look into motorcycle stuff.

9. Terry O

Terry O

Try Unity they have been making headlight bulbs for a long time.

www.unityusa.com

Terry

10. The only problem with using a motorcycle headlamp bulb is the pattern it projects.Most sealed beams project an elliptical pattern whereas a European style replaceable bulb lamp projects a pattern that has a very sharp horizontal cutoff that flares to the right(if you drive on the right side of the road)to illuminate the side of the road.Left hand traffic(England and Australia for example)flare to the left.
    A motorcycle lamp flares both to the right and left so if they were mounted on a car they would glare horribly to oncoming traffic no matter how you aimed them.
    Is there a particular reason you need a 6" diameter bulb?

11. corsair

corsair

I dug through my old receipts to find what I used before. I had a set of APC housings from eBay with some no-name bulbs. They were $40 for the pair plus bulbs. Those were pretty cheap looking, but I'm about 90% sure that Hella makes the same thing. They tend to produce better stuff.

Those were 5.75 though, not a full 6 inches.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't know if this will help. My motorcycle takes a 6 inch bulb. It's high/low. You can't find anything like that around here so I had to order one. In the mean time I found a car 6 inch bulb. High/low. The only difference was the little alignment notches on the back.

I should still have the car one around somewhere. I'm sure if I was able to find it here someone else has the info also. If not I'd try and dig it up to get the number. I wouldn't be able to until Friday though.

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

im not sure if what im talking is exactly 6 inches,,i didnt have one on hand to measure,,,im basically talking about the smaller size headlight bulbs,,,the large ones are approx. 7 in, and i just kinda guessed on the 6 in size,,,,someone above said the smaller auto headlights are actually 5.75 inches...thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it,,,

14. 375instroke

375instroke
    from seattle,wa

I've never even seen a low beam only 5.75" sealed beam.

15. corsair

corsair

My Edsel has two of them. Right next to the high beams. Standard quad arrangement separates the high and low beam. The lows stay on when you hit the brights, but they stay at the same output.

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My Opel Manta had bulb-and-reflector low-beams and sealed-beam high-beams, both 5.75". I'd expect the range of dual-filament halogen bulbs that'll fit the former to be fairly wide.

17. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

IIRC, the 5.75" low beam bulbs have two filaments; one high and one low. The high beams have only one filament. Look at the rear of the sealed beam; the lows will have three spades: high, low and ground. The highs will have only two spades, power and ground. The low beams should change in intensity when you hit the high beams to work along with the center headlamps. Check it out.

18. Bob Drake has a "Baby Deuce" headlight that is 7 1/2" and takes a standard - or halogen - 7" seal beam.

Nice looking light.

19. corsair

corsair

ok, I just went outside to double check and make sure I wasn't making this up. This is at least true for my car, and to the best recollection of my alcohol-riddled memory, this is how my old jap truck was too.

The low beam has one filament and it does not change intensity when the high beams come on. There are three spades on the back of the bulb. They are for the following:

1: Negative
    2: Positive #1, low beam circuit
    3: Positive #3, high beam circuit

There are two "on" switches for the same filiment, reason being the low beam circuit goes dead when you hit the switch for the brights so the power neads an alternate route to the low beams.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are plenty of choices for the 5-3/4 round high/low bulbs. For a regular looking lens that throws a hell of a bright light. Sylvania Silverlight at Autozone works fine. The clear lens lights with H-4 bulbs that are on Ebay for about 25 bucks a set usually have terrible light patterns (from my own experiences) but look cool just sitting.

I run the 7 inch version of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-3-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    in my 71 pickup and are going to get another set for the 48 with the 100/55 bulbs in them you can't outrun them on high beam at night. They throw a great light pattern and have a bit of a custom look. They are about the best I have found after Cibie H-4 lights with the same bulbs.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">