Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Date stamp on this one is July of 1970. It's a TQ Winner with UMRA President and starter Ray Gross. I think it's from the same race as the next one, because when Ray flagged, I scored. Unsure of the driver, but I'll make a wild guess and say it looks like Dick Dwenger...

[​IMG]

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Start of a UMRA TQ Heat Race, again in July of 1970, with Ray Gross flagging. This was another in the box from Wayne Doebling. The only race I can remember Wayne being on hand for when I was scoring was in that time frame, and I think it was at Brandenburg, Ky. That sticks in my mind because when he and Steve Stubbs got there, they asked me if they'd found the right place. They were looking for Henderson County International Raceway.

[​IMG]

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

A.J. at Terre Haute, 1961. Photo by Wayne Doebling...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Arnie Knepper, April 11, 1970. Photo by Wayne Doebling...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bill Englehart. Photo by Wayne Doebling...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Here's one I took myself. I was selling newspapers for Gene Powlen. Took the bus to Indy from Louisville the day after I graduated from high school. It's Justin King at the old 16th Street Speedway on the Night Before the 500 in 1956...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Mike McGreevy, April 11, 1970. Photo by Wayne Doebling...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

No date stamp or info on this one. Surely someone knows. Photo by Wayne Doebling...

[​IMG]

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got this one from a website. Parnelli, Bobby U, and Aggie at Ascot...

[​IMG]

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another one for some of you other oldtimers to identify the driver. It's a Leffler car, April 11, 1970. Photo by Wayne Doebling.

[​IMG]

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Philip LeVrier wrote a history of "Midget Racing in Texas" a few years back. I've seen one volume and understand he did write a second. His brother Bill is a rodder who owns several midgets as well as a couple nice old hotrods and show cars, and his Dad was a well lnown Western Artist as well as the owner of the best scrap yard in Daisetta TX.

12. 2002p51

2002p51

A Bob Hardee photo from Balboa Stadium:

[​IMG]

Some restored midgets at the Coronado Speed Festival:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've read one of Phil's books and I've got a copy around here somewhere. Gonna have to look. Also, Ray Gross' daughter says that TQ winner photo is not Dick Dwenger, and she's going to show it to a few friends to try to identify the driver.

14. doebling4

doebling4

I figured this one would draw some questions. This is the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus. They had a half mile, flat, one groove race track and ran a USAC 100 lap midget race on Labor Day. Track was hard and slick and woe to anyone who got out of the inside line. This program was run just like the dirt National Champ races back in the day. Usually drew a large entry and getting an early qualification draw was essential. The fastest 18 lined up and ran 100 laps and everyone packed up and left.

I don't believe there was any added cost for a grandstand seat and the place was always packed. Had trouble understanding the huge interest in a midget race on a very questionable track that allowed virtually no passing. The answer was that a free Bob Hope show followed the race, so most suffered through the noise and dust to be assured a seat for Hope.

The other item of note was the total lack of crowd control in the turns. The above photo shows the folks several rows deep separated from the track surface only by a wooden hub rail and a wire fence. Insurance man's nightmare!

I believe I attended the race in '69 and '70 and cannot recall if it was on the schedule after that.

Wayne

15. doebling4

doebling4

This one looks like Tri-County Speedway. Can't remember the pilot.
    Wayne

16. doebling4

doebling4

This might be Lawrenceburg, John.
    Wayne

17. doebling4

doebling4

Appreciate the credit, but that was 6-7 years before I started shooting.

Wayne

18. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Great thread! Anyone remember the Buckeye 100 at the Ohio State Fairgrounds? What year was it when Bob Wente beat Bobby Grim on a flat tire? I was there with my dad but very young... Another time there was a midget race at the Marion County Fairgrounds when it rained before hotlaps, mud everywhere but they tried to run. I was allowed to help scrape mud off the Dugan Offy before time trials. Quite a thrill for a nine year old...
    :cool:

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, Wayne. I could have sworn that came out of the box I got from you. Guess not. Also, you're right. Now I remember you being at Lawrenceburg when I was scoring as well as at "Henderson County International Raceway."

X426X, check a few posts above where Wayne recalls that Columbus race.

20. jimg12

jimg12

John,
    I think #56 picture was Columbus, Ohio Fairgrounds.
    Jim Graybeal

21. jimg12

jimg12

John,
    Picture #76 I think is Lawrenceburg but I do not know for sure. The drivers were--
    #8-- Billy Cambell
    #25 I think Steve Perkins
    #68 Dick Dewenger
    Jim Graybeal

22. jimg12

jimg12

I was at the 1966 race at Columbus, Ohio. Drew late number and missed the show. The track got so ruff that almost everbodys shocks were broke, Kenyon got on his head with just a few laps to go. In hot laps Tattersall went to the top of the track in 3and4 and stood on it real hard-- everyone left the outside of the track then. Do not remember who won the race but was not many cars running at the finish. Columbus was Bob Hope's home town.
    Jim Graybeal

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Jim. You've got both right. After seeing them online, Wayne remembered where they were taken and posted. Thanks for ID'ing those three drivers. I knew the 8 was Campbell but not the others. Can't remember the numbers after all these years, although I do recall Bobby Lowe's was 74 and I believe Bob Ayres' was 9.

24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

25. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Finally got to spend a whole weekend on the midget. I made the side panels. I don't know how long it takes veterans to make these but it was my first time making them and it took forever!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. racer5c

racer5c

that was my Dad's car

27. racer5c

racer5c

the first car is Carl Gelhausen's the second one suure looks like a Howard Linne car

28. racer5c

racer5c

the first car is Carl Gelhausen's the second one sure looks like a Howard Linne car

29. 29_Speed-Six

29_Speed-Six
    from Florida

Hi!
    New to this website. As a "fence hanger" at the midget races at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in the early 60's, I'd really like to find a good frameable photo of Bob Wente's #1 midget from 1964, for old times sake. I have a photo from one of the old vendors that used to be at the track, but has "display only" stamped across it. Like to have an unmarked photo.
    Anyone out there have a negative I can get a print off of?

29_Speed-Six

30. Paterson New Jersey "Pappy"

Attached Files: