Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Ford guys!!!...i need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Aug 31, 2009.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Im building a 64 ford pickup. I ditched the y-block and found a sweet running 88 lincoln town car with a efi 302 and aod trans with 53,000 miles on it.Im wanted to put this motor in my 64 .I would like to convert the engine to a carburated and maybe swap the trans for a c4 since the aod is computer controlled.Is there anything else that i would need to do to the motor to make it run without the computer and the fuel ingection distibutor? ..Im wanting to make this engine build as simple as possible(no computer junk).Thanks for the help.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You don't need to swap the AOD they were not computer controled until 1993 and later.Actually you have one of the most desireable AOD's, 1988 to early 1993 have all the lubrication upgrades and the improved valve body.If you want more info send me a pm and I can direct you to some good AOD websites I have also switched to a carb setup and can help you there.

3. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

It should be a roller motor so get a distributor for an '85 Mustang/5 speed as it will have a compatible steel drive gear. You can confirm that it's a roller cam when you remove the intake and see the spider retaining the roller lifters. I've used MSD ignition boxes, but there are others. Obviously, you need an intake and 4 BBL carb. I like a Holley 600 though some like Edelbrock. Keep the AOD; as stated above, it's not computer controlled. Overdrive is one of the greatest things ever invented.
    I have 3 cars with roller 5.0 engines. The best engine Ford ever made, IMHO .

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

yup, and yup.
    AOD is great, just get the tv cable adjusted right, and all is well. The engine shares most things with an earlier carb'd 302

5. Justin C

Justin C

Anyone with a ford truck should check out Ford Truck Enthousiest .com There is a ton on info escpecialy for your year of truck.

6. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

you can buy a china hei dizzi with steel gear and 2 wire hookup on ebay , ugly but simple and give me the y block

7. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ummmm...what they all said.:D
    Just did all this with my Ranchero...
    I booted the serpentine belt, too, just for good measure...
    Get a balancer w/ the late Ford balance weight, but both bolt patterns ( 3 AND 4...) and a cheap, chrome single groove crank pulley. You'll need a double groove water pump one, and an aluminum spacer cut to fit the snout of the balancer, and center the pulley...drill your bolt pattern in it, and go...you should have plenty of fan clearance.

I went to Lokar for the T.V. cable...
    And Pertronix for a dizzy...if its a FACTORY roller cam, the Pertronix is o.k., its a steel gear.
    Its ready to run, two wires ( If I remember right...) and not much more, really then the Pro-Comp, or other off-shore cheapies...

9. Also check out www.slick60s.com

Exclusively 61-66 Ford Trucks lots of good information and great guys (and a couple of girls)

Matthew: Why'd you ditch the Y-block?. Get it back, build it up a bit and put the AOD behind it. Be a better combo than the 302/AOD IMHO.

10. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

i ditched the y block because it was under 6 feet of saltwater during hurricane ike. i assumed it was shot!