Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Took a little road trip Sat.....Thought I would share.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadsterpilot, Aug 31, 2009.

1. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Im not sure if anyone is interested, but we took a little road trip on Saturday with my parents and checked out some local sights and covered about 250 miles.

Ive been wanting to put together a reliabilty run or toy run of some kind in the Northeast Missouri area for awhile but having just relocated back to here, I havent quite figure out how to do it or if there would be any interest.

Let me know if anyone in the area is interested or if anyone would be willing to travel....

Any way back to the story............We started out from Kirksville Mo about 9 am Saturday morning it was about 50 degrees (maybe) perfect roadster weather my wife didnt agree but she was in for the trip.

2. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Heres a couple pictures from our house.....................we met up with my Mom and Dad about 10am after waiting in road construction about 30 minutes............it seemed alot colder after we started moving.

We decided we would drive to Memphis Mo and check out the local car show there, I will include some photos........I was really surprised at the number of cars

The red Willys gasser was a killer..................The 36 Phaeton belongs to a guy Ive known along time, its a very well restored car, would look killer on the ground and a couple inches off the top.

Attached Files:

3. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Heres a few more from the car show.................

We left Memphis and headed east through Kahoka Mo and Wayland (the home of Breeder), and made are way to the Mississippi via Keokuk Ia. we stopped and broused a few antique shops,(thats the advantage of the roadster cant buy to many large items while traveling.) We stopped for lunch and then headed north towards Ft. Madison Ia.

We took a small detour and headed back northwest towards Donnellson Ia so that we could tour the villages of Van Buren County.

It was a beautiful drive through the state forest on Iowa Hwy 2...............our first stop was Bonaparte Ia on the Des Moines River, it is a great little village that has been restored, we couldnt pass up the restored gas station, we checked out the local antique shops and candy factory.....................then headed on up the river....

Attached Files:

4. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

5. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Wow there are some pretty kool cars there thanks for sharing

6. gafridge

gafridge

Looks like fun.I like to get a few friends together and drive somewhere in the country.Nothing better on a nice fall day.Thanks for the pics.Take care. Stony

7. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Our next stop was Bentonsport Ia which is about 6 miles up the river, we checked out the small shops and sites, and walked across the walking bridge crossing the Des Moines river.

We headed on west to another small town Cantril Ia which is about 12 miles and stopped at the Mennonite store (thought I might get a new hat.)

Our next stop was in Milton Ia about 4 miles, we stopped on main street and I couldnt resist the Bull Duram sign, but the building held the best surprise.............it had a 48 Chevy Fastback and a 30 Ford Sedan in the window and was completely full of vintage parts, and I mean FULL!!!!!!!!!!! Couldnt find anyone around to inquire but I will be heading back SOOON!!!

Attached Files:

8. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

We left the villages and headed west to Bloomfield Ia, my wifes parents are in a care facility there. So we stopped and visited them for awhile, and I took her Dad for a ride, the nurses said they didnt think they could wipe the smile of his face, made me smile too.

We spent an hour or so there then headed out for home..........got in about 9:30pm and clocked 247 miles............now thats the way to spend a Saturday. We were all wore out, but we had a helluva good time and saw some beautiful country.

Thanks for listening...............Later RP.

Attached Files:

9. F&J

F&J

Good trip and a pretty cool deed for the father-in-law.

10. flatford39

flatford39

That's what it is all about.... now isn't it.

Thanks for the pics and your cars look great.

11. Blue

Blue

What an awesome day for all concerned! Thanks for your story.

12. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pics ,good looking rides and those midwest villages are a step back in time.
    Thanks

13. 47convt

47convt
    from Omaha, Ne.

cool trip---thanks for sharing

14. RAY With

RAY With

Very nice shots thanks for posting

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Thanks for the pics. Very cool deal with father inlaw. He will never forget that. Wouldn't take anything for mine, he's a cool dude.

By the way, your car is perfect. Love it!

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

16. The 36 isn't a Phaeton it's a convertible sedan, fixed windshield like a cabriolet, and roll up windows. Neat car, I agree it would make a great hotrod. Looks like a fun day. Dean

17. Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I bet. a lot of people in those care homes, would love a hot rod ride.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

alrighty bub!!! 2 things!!!
    ONE!!! why the hell didnt ya stop by our restaurant in wayland!! that woulda been a free lunch right there mr!!!!:) i was even up there sat workin on a fan!!!!

and B. :) why wasnt that at the rust revival this yr???? your only 90 miles away !!! hell, you could have been there and i just didnt see ya though..i run around lookin soo busy, i actually think im doing shit that day!!!;)

19. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

You are correct it isnt a phaeton its a convertible, the B pillars lift out between the glasses when the top is down.................sorry my bad.

I bet alot of people would like a ride and if I could give them one I would, everytime I go I feel like tryin to break them all out............I hate it for them.

Sorry I didnt stop, wasnt sure if you would be open yet, but I wont miss a FREE LUNCH again.

I was a the Revival, I didnt have the car back here yet, we just moved back to Kirksville about 3 months ago, I guarantee it will be there next year!!!!!

20. skwurl

skwurl

Love that roadster.