Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Willys...barn find to runner in thirty days.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. We've been looking at that and the biggest problem is the very front crossmember is directly over the axle and also houses the radiator and grille which in turn mount the hood. Thinking about reversed eye springs moving the front spring pivot down enough to let us put the axle on top of the spring. Think i can gain about 3-4 inches doing that and still have enough travel. if thats not enough down then the 7 inch dropped axle. First and foremost get the damn thing running.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

You still get a BLUE ribbon, dude!

MillwScruffy wrote: all the old friends pulled together and lent a hand, that means more than the car does.

By the good Lord, I think THAT is what this hobby/sport has at its soul. It's a clan, a club, a hobby, a stress-reliever, an addiction . . .

(Hell, beats selling your body on the street, 'cause you got no iron to work on, eh? lol)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

3. We are quite the clan of buddies, but that is what it's all about.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Well day 29 and it's a runner!!!!! As you can hopefully tell by the one photo, it was a little foggy in the garage, but that's a good thing. Pretty much fired right up , never got over 180 degrees and had 60 to 70 pounds of oil pressure. I must say one of the best engines i ever bought. Sunday we shoot for a victory lap either in the driveway or a really quick lap on the road. Need to bleed the brakes, get the seats mounted strap on some googles and go. Then proceed to buy beer, relax for once and kick back and appreciate what a bunch of numbscrulls from Milwaukee did in the last month. The thank-you list of persons involved will be tomorrow. Have a good night, i will!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    brEad and kiwijeff like this.
  5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

CONGRATS BUDDY! (& all your posse!)

You have to be on top of the world! (AND you all did it with two days to SPARE!!!)

Awesome.

6. Okay, it starts ,stops ,steers and does burnouts, i'm calling it a success. Many thanks to all who help including Bob Fink, Charlie Carr, Leigh Carr, and the main man himself, the dude, Ken Cebula. We did a quick total and it appears to have taken about 275 man hours to get to this point. I will keep you posted on future progress, but the pace is going to back off a bit. Thanks for following along, Scruffy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    kiwijeff likes this.
  7. junior51

junior51

Congrats dude!!! Looks awsome

8. Thanks, now if i could just take a 1 week nap!!!

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, SWEET! Have some beer, get some sleep. (LOCK the garage!!! LOL)

10. 10-4 and nighty-nite.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats to milwscruffy and friends!

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

congrats!

thats gotta be an amazing feeling... one month and driven, gotta love that shit

13. ChevyII

ChevyII

Ok guys, Here a couple quick Videos of the Motor Running.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hA1O4yyiauE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUsPszBhEuY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

and it even lays rubber.

15. kisam

kisam

Incredible! Get some rest and enjoy the fruits of your labor! I was cheering for you.

16. Yep, been kicking back the last couple days. Gotta know when to say when. Finally listened to my body and it said REST!!!! On another note i have a pretty good story about an ah-shit moment last night but i'll hold off for awhile. Lets just say your never too old to be a bone-head.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  17. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Awesome Job, Kool Ride!!!

18. Congrats looks awesome. But I think that dash looks way to familiar! What guages you running, Chevy truck?

19. Thanks appreciate it, probably start back on it this weekend.

Nope, SW new issue 5" speedo and 5" quad gauges. Thought they looked cool and looked old. Also fits the bill for what i need.

20. skwurl

skwurl

Looks good. Congrats.

21. motorhead711

motorhead711

Good deal man. Congrats on your project!!

22. Alright time to fess up. On Monday had a buddy over and fired the car up for him, was going to move it outside to start cleaning up my pigsty of a garage. Upon going out the garage i burp the throttle to impress him. What i failed to realize was when i did the burner in the garage on Sunday the tac-welds i had on the front spring perchs must have broke. They weren't much of tacks cause i planned on more frontend work soon. Anyway right after burping the throttle i hit the brakes, which in turn rotates the front axle, which in turn locks the steering dead right and shears the Banjo fitting thru bolt off on the right front caliper. Good-bye brakes (never final adjusted the rears), good-bye steering, HELLO FENCE !!!. Well all things considered i can now laugh at my dumb-ass. Three new pickets on the fence due to the frame horn going thru them, rotated the axle back and a new Banjo bolt and my pride a little bit lower than before. And now you know the rest of the story.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

someone once said "theres a fine line betwee stubborn and....." well you know the rest.

i bet that made a hell of a noise when parts started movin, tires were dragging, everyone screamin (or laughing if its my friends), and the fence boards snapped.

congrats on being stubborn and getting it done. now quit bein' stupid with it and finish it. (with all the respect in the world)

24. F&J

F&J

Who was the smartass that said "we only learn from our mistakes, not our sucesses"

25. ChevyII

ChevyII

And I stayed away all this week because I thought it was Rest Time for you and Ken lol " Always Missing the Good Shite " :D

I'm Surprised my Front Firestones didnt blow out.

Steve Let me know who was there when this happened lmao.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  26. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Hey, if your not breaking something, your not trying hard enough.

27. Ralph got the tee-shirt, Thanks. Did you get yours running?

28. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Not yet, I've got the New Battery and cables in, Gas tank refilled, new plugs and oil change, but right now I have the carb off to clean it and I thought I would incorporate a modern gas filter in line to it to catch any of the crap that might be left in the lines or the Vacuum pump. As you can see by the other thread(1923 Dodge Brothers Roadster) I was busy getting distracted from the Willys. So many cars, so little time.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

DISCLAIMER: No animals were injured during the making of this Willys.

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, guy, nobody's perfect. OK, you were perfect for a MONTH; pretty darn good. Then ya get punchy celebratin' & make a tiny mistake.

THAT's what Chevy II's Pabst & welder are for! LOL

Keep yer dauber up!