Register now to get rid of these ads!

how much extra is disk brakes on a ford 9in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newfalconowner, Aug 30, 2009.

1. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

i have a 57 Ford 9in with drum brakes and Im thinking of adding a rear disk kit. How much extra does the disk setup add to the overall width. I need to cut 2in off the left side housing to fit, would using disk brakes require more cut off to fit? thanx

2. chickncoupe

chickncoupe
    from michigan

It might not add any width to the rear end over what the break drum already has added. depending on what rotor you will be using the worst case you would gain 1/4 to 1/2 inch per side but like i said that would depend on what rotor you would be using .

3. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

great, thanx alot..

4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I just recently modified a Explorer rear disk setup to fit on my '59 housing. The explorer parts are cheap, easy modded, have a built in park brake.
    The rotors are thick through the hub area. It added about 3/16" to 1/4" per side. I needed to replace the wheel studs to slightly longer ones.

5. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

perfect thanx. I have 3in studs on the rear already, it fit with the 15x12s i had before (I backhalved it with those rims and tires (31.25x12.2x15s) now i have 15x10 TTs with 4in spacing and its really tight. 2in will give me room to pull tires off if i need on the dr side (pass side is perfect). Explorer brakes are a good choice, i will look into them, thanx

rick