Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's it worth thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Aug 26, 2009.

1. i came across a 63 impala convert. at this time all i have seen is the car in a carport with the cover on. as luck would have i did some leg work and found out that it's for sale. the owner is like 85 years old and very reclusive. so i want to make him an offer but this one is kinda out of my expertise. i promise pics as soon as i can get them. at this time let's assume it needs a full resto. thanks in advance.

2. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Tell him 50 bucks IF there's a clear title.

3. forgot to mention that this a real post and i'm not trying to screw the guy. thanks james!

4. i'm not sure but you and i both know it's not a 50 dollar car. i can't find anything online to get a comparable. so i thought i would ask here.

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Why don't you ask the owner, how much he is trying to get out of the car? Then make him an offer. Maybe he doesn't watch Barret Jackson.

If someone offered me $50 for one of my cars, I would tell you that it isn't for sale today, but I'd put you on the list if I decided to sell it; right at the bottom.

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

No, I didn't say that, I would put a price on it. It sounds like the OP found out it was for sale, now he should find out what the asking price is. I get people stopping by all of the time, trying to offer me a couple hundred or less for one of my cars; that weren't for sale anyway.

I always believed that you should do some research before buying or selling, to find out what the market is. If you have a car that is worth $2000 and you sell it for $500; that is your problem.

If you are selling something, I'll ask you what you want for it, I might make you a counter offer, ask what your lowest price is or pass.

7. Ask him what offer would insult him ...then offer a $1 more....;)

But definetly do your research...lots of black/blue book values out there to get an idea. Do some google/ebay/craigslist etc searches and try and find something close to get a value from.

8. On Ebay, there is a 1964 impala convertible for sale, 22 bids and it is at $7100. It runs and is in decent shape, but needs paint, interior, resto basically. That should be in the ball park for what it is worth. Done ones can go from $18,000 to $35,000, depending on ooptions and drive trains. But this is all a mute point if you haven't looked at the car yet. It could have no floorboards, rockers, or drive train, all effect value.

9. And get laughed at. Which, whatever turns you on.

For old car prices, you can watch similar cars on eBay or ads in Hemmings Motor News and check out Old Cars Price Guide Magazine, there is a Kelly Blue Book you can get for old car prices, and I've seen at least one other montly magazine for values but it's name I forget, who knows if it's still in business at this point (it's been a few years). Most of those things you can access online or find at any well-stocked magazine rack, grocery stores, Borders, Barnes and Noble, and so on. Even the evil empire, Wal-mart, often has them.

10. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Ask the Old guy what he would like to see happen to the car. Tell him you'll do exactly that, but to do so, you have to get an inexpensive start so you do what he wants. Then, offer to bring it over to give him a ride in it when you're done. Tell him you want to do EXACTLY what he had in mind. Now, ask what he wants out of it.....he may surprise you?
    When I was a kid, I had an uncle give me a little p/u for exactly that reason...I told him .....he GAVE it to me! Sweet!

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

12. aceuh

aceuh

$750?? It's probably worth that if there's nothing left but the convertible hardware and has a title. I paid $3000 for a 64 non-SS 2 dr hardtop a couple months back. It needs the typical patches put in behind the wheels and the lower trunk panel and people are acting like I stole it. Sure I realize I'm on a different coast and it's a hardtop...but it's a number to think about all the same.

If creampuff 63 convertibles are showing up for a grand I think I'll take two...that should still leave me enough $$ for shipping from west to east coast.:D

Seriously, the condition and options will make a world of difference when it comes to value. So yea, it's probably worth anywhere from $750 for a rusty hull with a locked up engine to $7000 for a driver that needs interior/paint and a couple patches to make it look like you want.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

James, what planet have you been buying cars from? A grand for a creampuff '63 Impala convert? :rolleyes: Not since about 1973! Some joker emailed me about my Impala to make an offer that was $200 LESS than the amount bid at that time, and $2,000 less than the reserve (it was on ebay), then added this little gem, "I don't want to get into a bidding war..." Evidently he got his price guide and negotiating skills the same place you did.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  14. Irvan

Irvan

I think in general visiting about the car and then just asking what kind of price range it's in makes it easier for everybody. If someone doesn't want to price a car it usually means they either don't really have a clue what it's worth (85 year old maybe) or they hope you are stupid.

15. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

If it is for sale he must already have a price in mind just keep in mind what you are willing to pay and be ready with a counter offer and remember the best deals are made when you have cash in hand.

16. Here's Rich Venza's rule for buying anything, as learned from an old timer years ago, who was very savvy and street smart. I've lived by it as both a buyer and seller for over 45 years, and it works.

NEVER MAKE THE FIRST OFFER

The seller has the responsibility for putting a price on his merchandise...period.

17. cJared3b

cJared3b

I wouldnt spend more than $1200 if it needs a full resto, but not too far gone.

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

I think this advice is perfect for the particular scenario described in the original post. Good luck. That will be a very cool ride...

19. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I know its long... but This will help you buy a car READ IT TRUST ME IT WILL HELP!

I think this is even sleasier than just offering him $50. At least your not lying to the guy, We all build customs/and hot rods to make them unique and ours. There's no way that you would stick to the exact way that he said he was going to build it, if you did what would be the point in building it? You could just go get some new car off a lot. So, if you try to schmoose the guy this way your just lying plain and simple.

The best way I have found to do this is to decide the most I will spend on a sliding scale... what condition it is in, what options does it have, does it run, is it missing anything? Once I do this i have all of my top walking away prices, than I take my money in cash, $20.00 bills so it looks like more, and divide the money up in different pockets (you have to remember which pockets are which). Then I go and talk to the guy, I spend at least 20 min. building rapport learning his story, and talking about my own story, and why I want the car (if you look closely you can see the look in his eye change when you win him over). Than I really politely explain that "I tried to do a bit of research to find some other cars compareable to his so that I could figure out fair pricing, but because it is so old there really isn't much out there, so I don't really want to throw out a price and insult you". Then say " What would you like to get out of the car" and then (this is important) SHUT UP! don't say anything more... just stand there, with an inquisitive, but un-threatning look on your face. The longer the awkward silence the better (remember it is akward for both of you, not just you, nobody likes air in conversation). He will answer one way or another, if he says make him an offer, say some circular version of the first statement above, and turn it back on him. All the time spent schmoozing in the begining now comes into play,... A. You know his intentions with the car, B. you know his history with the car, and sentimental value, C. You know when he bought the car, so you can guess the value it cost then, D. You know about his family, and whether or not he is getting any imput from outside sources on what it is worth, and E. you know his overall attitude so you know whether he'll work with you or not.

When he eventually says the price, listen to how he says it, if he goes up in in tone at the end (like he is asking a question) he is testing the waters... seeing what you will pay, theres room to go down. If he sounds frusterated with the amount he says, this means you probably won't get it for too much less, but it is already going to be cheap at this price. And if he is a salesman, he'll school you and you'll pay through the nose or walk (but this is very unlikely).

Remember your bottomline, the least you want to pay, and the most on the sliding scale, if the price he says matches or is lower than your lowest price, give him the money! Don't be a douche and get greedy, it will get you in the end. If the price is too high hym and Haw, talk about something completely other than the car, for a couple moments and then counter offer this will bring his gaurd back down... always be nice!

Be smart, remember what you already know about the guy. When your thinking about going to talk to him remember what you already know...
    He is 85, dress accordingly, He's a hermit, good chance he hasn't been talking to anyone about what its worth, He's 85, It's not on ebay!, The car is under a cover so you already know that he cares about the car and its well-being. He's reclusive so you have to be on your "A" game trying to break down his barriers, pretend like your going to meet your girlfriends grandparents for the first time.

Remember in a negotiation situation there is always a sale going on. You are either selling the owner on why you should have the car for this much money, or he is selling you on why you don't deserve the car unless you pay him this much, but someone is getting closed!

Sorry for the extremely long reply, but I have made a really good living doing just this, and thought that it might help some novice salesman out. Remember stay nice, stay polite, keep emotions out of it! This is 1st and foremost a game, you have to play it like your playing pinball or something. If you play your cards right you will probably get the car for way less than you ever thought, and you won't have to lowball him or lie to him in the process, plus he walks away with the amount of money that he wanted and both parties are happy, this is called Paredo Optimal no one looses!

20. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

That pretty much details how I buy stuff too.

22. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

1500-2000 dollars i would say. 500-750 seems to low for some people nowdays. If you dont have that much money maybe you could ask him if he needs anywork done along with the money. hes an old man, he probably has a whole bunch of little things needed done around his house.

23. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

You need to get with the owner first IMO. Who knows, it could be a rare 409 4 speed car. I know that's a reach but you don't kow what it is. Talk to the guy and just ask what he's looking to get for it and find out exactly what the car is. Then you can figure out if it's something you want to go for and if it is, then try to hit a deal with him.

24. You already know what you are willing to pay for this ragtop. Asking us to basically validate your proposal is crap. No pics, nothing other than a vague description of the car. A '63 Chevy ragtop brings damn good money in nearly any condition. Make him what you think is a fair offer. Don't piss the guy off with something ridiculously low like $750. The guy might be old, but that does not make him stupid or senile. Don't be an asshole to him.

25. i actually don't know what i'm willing to pay. and i promised pics as soon as i get them. i'm not the guy that tries to get over on people so i would like to make a somewhat educated offer. i never said said he was stupid. thanks for your time i'm glad i read your crap.

26. junior51

junior51

Throw a low ball offer, if he dosen,t like it ask what he,s looking for &go from there

27. You are the one that wanted our input, deal with it.

28. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

i hate all this deal with it crap! He has a right to say something if he doesnt agree with it.

29. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i hate it when they say make me an offer. i dont want to sell it to me ,i just want to by it. if that makes any sense to u