Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shock mounts after a rear end swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Aug 24, 2009.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I finished swapping out the stock rear in my 50 sedan with a 2nd gen Camaro. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about replacing the shocks and where to find some shock mounts. I'm using the existing leaf springs and I moved the pin hole on the 2nd gen rear so that it now fits. I looked at picking up a pair of the matching shock mounts off of EvilBay, but noticed that one mount is supposed to face forward, the other backward, apparently:

2nd Gen Shock Mounts

That doesn't jive with the existing setup, nor does the fact that the original 1950 shocks mounted to the bottom of the body. I'm wondering what others have done to handle this? I found one post from 2004 where one guy found some mounts that you could weld to the existing frame rails for the body mounts, but nothing for the mounts that bolt to the bottom of the perches. Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks!
    Adam

2. I'm not familiar with the 50 sedan but if shock location both need to be to the rear or forward of the axle, you can get a set of generic Speedway plates to do that.

The 50 sedan is kind of top heavy and engineering in a sway bar would go a long way to elimintaing the body roll in the corners.

Keep us posted ....

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I contacted Speedway, but the specs on their mounts don't match what I'm measuring on my perch. The axle is 3", and from side to side, I'm getting 3.85" between the holes center to center. I'm getting 3.5" between the perch holes front to back. Speedway's are 3 5/8" side to side, and 3 1/8" front to back. It's not just one perch on mine that measures that way, as I thought maybe something got tweaked, but both sides match. I guess I might have to get something fab'd, but I checked with a local place that wanted $70 each to fab some like Speedway's, but measurements modified for my application. These are the days that I wish I had my TN shop up here in NJ.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have a 53..assume its close to the same?
    i just made my own..

took the lower shock mount off an S-10 set up, and cut them up and made my own..you can do it

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'm running a 81 Trans Am rear in mine...I'll need to check the specs on that S10 plate...if so, that would rock.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

basically the point i was getting at is you can make what you need out of any lower plate shock attachment..

I had to alter the s-10 to make it work right..and you probably could alter the TA shock attachment to do the same

or make a trip to your local junk yard and get the type you need..either it be the type that has the bolt for the shock eye..or the type that has the hole for the shock stud..mine and the s-10 had the bolt for the shock eye..and it needed to be moved to allow the shock to travel correct path with the other attachment point up under the trunk
    i welded the stud off my 53's rear shock set up to the s-10 plate in the correct orentation..waaala done, that way i could still use the oem style shock that was used for the 53 rear end..i chose to go with gabrial air shocks just in case i decided to pull a trailer or cary a heavy load in the trunk..especally since i lowered the car 3.5" in the rear.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. junior51

junior51

Some 51,s have the shock mount that bolts to the leafspring w/ubolt, or a pair of 55-57 plates work great too