Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage floor sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Whats everyones favorite?? Not looking for pretty, just good. I'm getting the cement done tomorrow for my new shop.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my favorite sealer is 40 years of grease, oil and transmission fluid.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It'll come, i think i'll start with the old H-D 45 and 64 el camino and go from there

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My favorite garage floor is one that I can hammer on, scrape toolboxes across and work on. weld above and let sparks singe the surface. Anything more is an ego trip.

5. junior51

junior51

I painted mine but wish I didn,t, brake fluid bubbled it , I,e heard the clear sealer works best

6. gafridge

gafridge

I did mine with Valspar gray epoxy you can buy it at Lowes for about $32.00 a gallon I think.It has held up for about 6 or 7 years with no problems.I have left brake fluid on it for weeks just to see if it would bubble and it has not.Its not the best,but I think its good for a working shop.good luck. Stony

7. Jeff J

Jeff J

I did my shop when I was in Cal. and liked it makes clean up easy so my new garage I did it with U-coat -it again and like it so far ! Makes it easier to slide under the car now getting to the senior discount days I had my full off rough cement days paid my price years ago!:cool: great people to work with and tell you what to do with the concrete ! Hey Jay Leno did his !!www.ucoatit.com

Attached Files:

8. No really! Go over to the Garage Journal site, you will dig it and Ryan would appreciate your participation.

9. Jeff J

Jeff J

I did and pretty neat stuff!! Thanks Tman

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just be prepared for sticker shock! Some of the high end stuff is ~$12 a sq. ft.!!!!

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm not really big on talking about outfitting my shop. Its never going to have drywall, mabey someday plywood, but this is a serious build shop, not a showroom, most of the finished stuff will probably end up out in the rain to protect it, and make way for more projects. there will be lots of grinding, welding and cutting.

So really the pretty stuff i could care less about, I just want to keep some of the crap from soaking in too much

12. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

I used the Indoor/ Outdoor Concrete Stain, by H & C. I haven't had any issues with brake fluid or anything else. I think it's around $25/ gallon.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

New concrete leave it alone .Invest in a good scrubber.

14. zbuickman

zbuickman

that sounds like mine..... There are some areas where you litteraly have to scrape up the mess every so often. because it just wont sweep????almost like oil wicks up through the floor.... who knows it is permantly black:confused:

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a product called cure and seal. Two coats.

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Search for Wolverine Coatings over ther also. Quite a few guys have used it with excellent results.

17. BBobb

BBobb

I am a commercial paint contractor and have spent years shooting high traffic flooring products rather they be pigmented or clear. Thier are two clear finishes i can recommend that are really good and economical.These are formulated for high traffic such has forklifts and also chemical resistant.The first is Super Diamond D cost about 75.00 per 5 gallon pail and has a very nice semmi-gloss finish. If the crete is new you can scrub it down with a good final clear water finish and roll it on.The second is called Ashford Formula.This one runs about 25.00 per gallon and will need to be trowled on with a little more tech involved to get it down and has a matte finish.These two products are installed in the newer Firestone and Oriellys auto parts.If you need more info let me knowI don't sell this stuff,but can send you more data.....good luck

18. Mac_55

Mac_55

Been in the concrete buisness for quite a few years. My dad has been doing it for 45 years or better.

If your just wanting the clear sealer . Have the crew or whoever is doing it hit it with cs 25. Or just a 25% solids sealer. Itll drink the first coat rather quickly , have em come back in a week or so and hit it with a second heavy coat and call it good.

We hit it with the first coat as soon as we are done with it . It slows the cure down to help prevent any cracks.

The redi mix where they order the concrete from should have it . its just a 25% solids cure and seal . If you want it a little shinier then on the second coat use the 35% solids . Its a little heavier.

19. MERRELL

MERRELL

20. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I used the "Quikrete" stuff from Lowes. Its a roll on and you can add paint chips if you want. It seems pretty durable. You can clean up oil with only a paper towel, slid shit across it, and it does not burn from slag. It is super easy to put on.

21. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Btw Shaggy, I own a concrete pumping company...let me know if you need that service, or finishers

22. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I sealed the concrete floor in my shop when it was new about 4 years ago and now I wished I hadn't.
    I put on a clear sealer and now it is starting to turn yellow and darker.
    Floor is easy to sweep and keep clean which is good but the darker it gets the less my aging eyes can see.
    I would use some kind of epoxy paint the next time.
    When the build I am working on now is finished I plan on stripping the sealer off and going with some thing else or nothing at all.

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Just registered Tman...cool site, thank you!:cool:

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Thanks guys, looks like nobody can agree on a single finish but it gives me stuff to look into

Thanks, but it was all included in with the building

25. 64 dart

64 dart
    from murrieta

I would just use a water base sealer! its cheap and it works.try glaze in seal im a concrete contractor it works good for the price .

26. river1

river1

i used groits garage floor paint. it has been down 15 years, yes 15 years and still looks good. here are a couple of pics from 2 or 3 years ago but it still looks the same. the pics were from one of my yearly moppings. it has held up to brake fuid, carb cleaner, and every other thing i can throw at it. i'd use it again in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

later jim