Register now to get rid of these ads!

My shoebox chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Aug 23, 2009.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have had this car for a couple of years without doing much to it. I finnally got the time to get the doors fitted and the bracing welded in. I spent a week drawing lines on it to figure out where I wanted to cut it. I had some ideas of what I want so I went for it.I got the thing finaly back together today and I like it. It needs a bunch of finishing but you get the idea. The yellow line is a string line that follows the roof real nicely.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is a 50 meteor and I wanted to keep the factory belt line trim,which ment the drip rail can't be moved forward. I also have two young kids and wanted to be able to roll the rear windows down. I stretched the quarter window and flipped the rear glass. I still have to finish the drip rail and make all the filler panels.

2. lorodz

lorodz

3. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

looks good..will the quarter windows roll down.. or will they hit the fender wells...we had that problem before that's why I ask..I like the way you stretched the quarter windows...very cool

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

keep updating pics!! thanks!!!

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very good work!

6. Tony

Tony

Got any full profile shots?

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If the windows are not chopped and when rolled down stick up a few inches doesn't it follow that when chopped more than what sticks up they won't?

9. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

the reason I ask is cause I painted a unchopped shoebox and then it was sent to a glass shop but they couldn't make the window go down without putting the wing window back in on the quarter glass and the customer wanted 1 piece glass without the wing window..apparently it hits the fender well..maybe it won't matter on a chopped window?

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That was the 1st thing i noticed is that the rear glass looked flipped....Nice job and it looks like it flows nicely...

11. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

2nd on the wide shot... i'm thinking i really like the line on this one. what numbers on the chop?

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The chop is 4-5". I will have the wing windows. They will open in the front but not in the back. I don't like the look without them. I don't have any profile shots as the car is on blocks. Once I get the rest of the chop done I will finish lowering the rear and roll it out for some side shots.

13. Nice work so far. Good to see the back corner of the Quarter glass done correct. I like the that it don't appear to be Over Chopped. Leaving the Drip rails helps with that. I don't recognise the molding just below the glass. I thought the Crestline was the only one to have a trim below the back window and then not below the side glass. Was this a Canadian car or someone get crafty with some 51 Vicky trim? I think I'm going to like this car when done.
    The Wizzard

14. Great start, keep posting updates.

15. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

good work, any full profile shots?

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The car is a 50 meteor canadian car. The trim is stock.Once I get it done you will see why I am so keen on keeping it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  17. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Good looking chop. Hopefully we can see a full profile shot soon.

18. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

19. studeboy

studeboy

I'd also like to see some more pics, in particular pics up to this point if there are some. Looking forward to seeing more either way.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Nice job-Thanks for posting-interesting ride

21. swazzie

swazzie

Any progress pics? :D

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have spent the last week or so finishing up the patching around the rear window and getting some of the welding done. An english wheel would have made the patches more smooth but smaller patches and lots of hammer and dolly work get the job done. It is a lot smoother than it looks. I have athe roof crown where I want it and the roof looks nice and even. I pulled the rear glass to make it possible to hammer weld the seams up the middle of the roof. and I found another spot of bondo over a dent to clean out and hammer flat,man I hate that shit. It was everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Finally got the roof welded and the first fill done and sanded. I am quite happy with how it turned out. The rest of the filling and sanding will have to wait till the weather warms up in the spring, the metalwork will continue. I still have a hood to peak and radius and a bunch of other stuff. I am going to keep working on it and hopefully have it done for next summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. pinky49

pinky49

looking good
    ed:)