Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welders - TIG question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgedartgt, Aug 23, 2009.

1. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

Hi guys,
    Thnx in advance for all the knowledge on this board and willingness to share!

I just got a small invertor style TIG machine, no bottle or regulator. I know that typically TIG uses 100% Argon. Can I use the 25% CO2 mix I have with my MIG and what will the results be, how will it change the weld? What pressure, or better question, flow rate should I use?

When I do get a dedicated Argon bottle, can I share the same regulator back and forth with my MIG?

Mike Bynum

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Some guys use 75/25 mix and claim it works ok. It's not recommended and I wouldn't do it for anything critical like chassis work.

3. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I tried the 75/25 mix for my miller tig. It spit and sputtered and looked like crap. Use Argon.

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I too tried it one night in desperation (75/25)- TOTAL WASTE of time - don't torture yourself - get the RIGHT gas!!!!!

5. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can not do it, waste of your time get the right setup (argon 100%)

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

as others have said...dont bother...and you will get sick of swapping the regulater...besides, what if you want to mig and tig on the same part....(as a full time fabricator, i do it more than i care to remember haha)

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Argon for steel or helium for alum. What are you welding most of the time.

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

i weld steel, stainless and aluminum with Argon...i have used helium, but its rare actually...

9. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I have two bottles. One for alum (I have used argon) and one for steel. We could go on for hours on this, but dont think its what he had in mind.:D

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

hahaha good point. my point wasnt to bash...

11. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

You are right,no bashing.:D I just like to talk welding and see what everybody else does for fun.:cool:

12. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

You can buy a bottle at a welding supply, or go to Home Depot (if they are in your area) they will sell a full bottle or swap for refills. If you don't weld alot, you probably don't need a really big bottle. A little more expensive that welding supply shop, but easy. We run about 20-25 psi for argon on stainless. I don't know about a flow meter setting.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny! Did you use the double entendre intentionally? 'Cause helium is considered a "rare" or noble, gas.

14. timothale

timothale

my gages will interchange from the tig to mig. one set has the 2 dial gage and the other set has the ball that floates in the tube. I don't know if that's standard since they refill the same bottles for me. I own bigger bottles than they usually have in the rack.

15. gasman1985

gasman1985

You can swap your regulator flow gauge between argon, argon/co2 75/25, helium or helium mixes. The setting for flow changes 15-20 scfh. Argon is used for almosst all TIg applications and I have seen some thick aluminium jobs use a 50/50 argon helium mix. Good luck with your welding.

Tom

16. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

Thnx for all the quick replies. I just missed an 80 cu ft full bottle of argon on CraigsList for $80! Darn it, killer deal since I've been pricing stuff on line.
    Mike