Register now to get rid of these ads!

Green, Yellow, Red Tip GM Dipsticks? What's the Deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alohadogg, Aug 20, 2009.

1. alohadogg

alohadogg
    from Milton, PA

If this thread is posted somewhere else on the HAMB, let me know. But, my Dad was telling me that there is a difference on the engines and cars that Chevy put the Red, Green, and Yellow tipped Dipsticks on. I've read some things here and there, and heard that some are worth a lot and some aren't worth any more than a Trans Dapt Chrome Coated one.

Anyone know where I can find a clear definition of what the Red, Yellow or Green came on and if they're worth anything? I just bought a couple old 350's off a guy and one came w/ a green tipped Dipstick. The others had the crimped ends on them.

Thanks for any info...

- Mike

2. nothing more than a way to make them eaiser to see for the drivers to check the oil. most times the oil,trans and power steering are different colors to identify them. gas caps on the other hand are for a reason, so some dimwit won't put the wrong fuel in them, match the color on the pump to the color cap on the car.

3. alohadogg

alohadogg
    from Milton, PA

It's not the whole top of the dipstick as one color. It's just a little 1/4 inch or so of the very last part. I hear the green one may be for a '69 Z28 application.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

4. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Hmm I've never heard that. I know the earlier model SBC's dipsticks were on the drivers side while the later models were on the passenger side but never heard the color coding stuff.

5. alohadogg

alohadogg
    from Milton, PA

Looks like we got a good head-scratcher going then.

Here's one I saw on eBay for $75 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...temQQimsxZ20090812?IMSfp=TL0908121410001r6888)

It looks so shiny it's border line after-market. $75 bucks though?

6. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Yeah I'm sure some meticulous person on here will know the answer. If not you could always go talk to a matching numbers muscle car guy they'd probably know. I'd like to know so hopefully someone will post all the details on here.

And theres no way you'd find me paying $75 for no dipstick

7. A $75.00 SBC dipstick. You would have to be a dipstick to pay that. Maybe the motor came with it.:eek:

8. Think with your wallet, not your dipstick. $75? I need to look the junkers over more closely.

That looks like just a plastic plug to fill the hole in the end of it instead of crimping it, maybe it was just a matter of what color plastic they had for the molding machine that day.

9. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

My Olds 455 has a yellow tip, thats all I know about that.

10. 8flat

8flat

Interesting question....although I do think numbers-matching-muscle-car-guys need psychiatric help. They probably think we're nuts too.

11. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Pretty sure my '70 LT-1 Vette has the green one too.

12. my 327 has a knife handle on the dip stick so that wont help....................

13. I paint the handles on my dipsticks International Orange. Easy to find...besides I've been doing it since the 60's. Just something personal. The different color tip would seem to make it easier to identify which stick goes to which engine

14. Fenders

Fenders

"The different color tip would seem to make it easier to identify which stick goes to which engine "

... on the assembly line.... looks like a good guess.<!-- / message -->

15. alohadogg

alohadogg
    from Milton, PA

Maybe there was just a folk tale created that you had to have the green tip or red tip for a certain numbers matching car and it's gone so crazy people will buy them for $75 now. I've never seen something in a Chevy book about it, but I see it pop up on eBay every now and then. Hmmm....

Maybe someone that worked at one of the plants will pop on here and set us straight.

16. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Guy here in town got like 150.00 for one of them, Cant remember what color, But he makes good money selling them on ebay...

17. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Red is my favorite.

Attached Files:

18. They are color coded for blind mechanics.

19. Is there a length difference between say 307, 350 and 400 that you'd need to know the difference? It would make sense that big block and small block would be different and if the same engines are being finished on one assembly line, you'd need to be able to tell the dipsticks apart at a glance.

20. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Well I just had a thought.. In relation to the assembly line workers it may have to do with which oil pan the car gets. My LT-1 has a 6qt factory pan, not sure if the oil level is any different, but it might be slightly.

21. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

Interesting question....although I do think numbers-matching-muscle-car-guys need psychiatric help. They probably think we're nuts too

I'm kinda into both, and while psychiatric help would probably do me good, I choose beer instead. The dipstick on my '67 SS 396 Chevelle is yellow btw.