Register now to get rid of these ads!

Things to see and do in Ontario??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65Riviera, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Looks like I'll be living and working in Toronto for about 9 months. I'm new to Canada and wanted to know from fellow hambers any things to do/ places to see in the next 9 month's. Currently I'm getting my fix going back to Michigan, but I want to take advantage of my situation and check out things on this side of the border... any suggestions??

2. Ferguson777

Ferguson777

What time frame will you be there and what are your interests?

rock climbing

Rare books

Museums

Rod runs

Skiing

Snow mobiling

Off roading

Mountain biking

Moto crossing

Fishing

Boating

Theature

back roading

Give us an idea what you're interested in.

3. 65Riviera

65Riviera

sorry, i should have been more specific... I was thinking about mostly car related stuff. Cool shops, hamb type events, shows, runs, junk yards, museums, gallery's, meeting place's...

4. Ferguson777

Ferguson777

I haven't lived in T.O. since 83 but there was a great little automotive museum about middle of the city just south of the 401. The Craven Foundation (as in Craven A cigarettes) would put you in mind of Jay Leno's garge and collection. They also have/had a really good twechnical library open to enthusiasts. You had access to the area where they do the restorations as well. Probably about 50 cars..... Open about 362 days of the year.

There's a few car clubs with websites in that area. A good number of rod runs but most will be wrapping up by Thanksgiving ( Oct. 12th).

Forget where you're from, but between Sept. 20th and Oct. 12th you have to take a tour north of the city on the back highways and take in the colours. EDIT - O.K., so you're from So. Cal. - You gotta do the tour in late Sept./early Oct.

There's a car museum out in Oshawa ( about 10 miles east of T.O.) And Ron Fawcett Motors (which is kinda like a car museum) is out that way as well (do a google).

If you fish, head out north and east of T.O. , like out around Peterborough.

Hopefully somes guys still living in the area will chime in here.

It was a great place to live in the 70s...

5. Rochie

Rochie

65 Riviera,
    Go to this website for all things "Canadian rodding". Guys from the tip of the east coast to Vancouver Island are on the site.

http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/

6. 65Riviera

65Riviera

cool thanx, i'll be checkin those places out...

i did a search and found out there was a (few) swap meet(s) put on over labor day weekend by a local car club (roadmates? coasters?). do those still go on?? are they the same one?? any other local events??:D

7. The Roadmates & Coasters are still alive and well. Pick up a copy of "Old Autos" newspaper. It shows lots of meets especially around Toronto and London areas. There is a cruise night just about every night somewhere within driving range. Good Luck....

8. meteor

meteor

Our biggest indoor car show, Performance World happens in March, check out the website. You can also get a listing there of all the cruise nights happening in most of Ontario.

www.performanceworldcarshow.com

There is a show in Oshawa called Autofest happening Aug 29 & 30. Also, there is a swapmeet in Barrie (north of Toronto) Sept 10-13.

All I can think of at the moment.

9. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Why's that funny? Car guys are car guys, i'd like to check out the work that's being done up here. I'm sure there's some cool shit to see, I just need to be pointed in the right direction...

I'm actually from Michigan, living in Socal for 15 years, and I'll be living in Toronto for about 9 months for work so i'd like to take this opportunity to check out Ontario's car scene.

thanx for the tips... i'll look for "old autos" newspaper, sounds like a cool rag!

So is there a swap meet over labor day?

10. Lets see 9 months in Ontario.??.bring winter coat..LOL
    drag racing winds down in October..Car shows start in January and indoor swap meets.
    drag racing resumes in May.
    did I mention,pack a warm coat?.

Rick
    1939fiat

11. doctorZ

doctorZ

funny wannabe bacon?

12. Ontario55

Ontario55

Well you could go to an NHL game and watch Toronto lose, thats a given
    Check out the CN Tower in Toronto
    Go to Niagara Falls for a weekend
    Do a winer tasting tour in and around Niagara on the Lake
    Do some salmon fishing on a charter in Lake Ontario , usually Pt Credit or Bronte
    St Thomas has a Fire Muster on Labor Day Weekend in Sept , usually draw close to 400 cars on the Sunday carshow
    Are you aware of whats happens here in Ontario if you're travelling 50 kmh over the limit, (thats approx 30 mph)
    You'll be walking , fined , licence suspended and car towed on the spot
    The cop is judge and jury on that one , Its called Stunt Driving
    If you like drag racing , check out Toronto Motorsports, its actually by Cayuga and Grand Bend Motorplex at Grand Bend
    Some fairly major events for Ontario coming up in Sept in drag racing
    As mentionned, you really need to get a copy of Old Autos
    They list most carshows and cruise nights , call 1-800-461-3457 or 519-695-2303 and request a free copy . Tell them you're here visiting from the States.
    Ontario55

13. Hemiwillys

Hemiwillys

14. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

65Riveria
    I am a Roadmate member as is Jeff Norwell. We are having a club cornroast and you are more than welcome to attend. The date is September 5th. Send me a PM and I can give you more details.
    There is also the annual Waterdown car show/swap meet on September 26th and 27th.
    http://www.waterdownswapmeet.com/
    We are also having a Roadmates swap meet in October. I'm not sure of the data yet. It's always a great swap meet with real hot rod parts and not vendors selling socks and crying dolls.

I can give you an idea of other car related things when you PM me.

15. Keep

Keep

Autofest is pretty decent. Worth the 45 min drive to attend.

The Barrie swap meet is great....if you need tube socks or hubcaps. Was pretty worthless for car parts. Unless the changed things up from last year.

16. Toner283

Toner283

As a couple of people have said, barrie swap meet is in the beginning of sept. the waterdown swap meet is in september on the 26th and 27th. usually a pretty good swap meet/car show. Toronto Motorsports park, its actually by Cayuga and Grand Bend Motorplex at Grand Bend. Ohsweken speedway is a good track, very well run. I am biased, I am on the crew for the 44 thunder car. We have won the last three races in a row. four total so far this year. If circle racing is on your list check out delaware speedway. 2 1/2-3 hours from toronto but usually pretty good racing. There is legendary motorcars in milton, also horton street rods in milton. as a couple of people have stated check out old auto's newspaper for a bunch of events. PM me & we can get together at one of the shows to shoot the breeze. I am about 45 mins west of toronto. oh yeah, you can pick up a copy of old auto's at horton street rods, they have them on the counter just inside the door. http://www.horton.on.ca/

17. 65Riviera

65Riviera

bump for the crazy ass weather:(....

thanx again for all tips, and google. when you said waterdown swap meet, i thought you meant not as good as it once was....

18. screwball

screwball

Coasters show and swap Sunday of labour day weekend 1 hour east of TORONTO just north of Cobourg Ont.

19. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

20. Drop by Legendary Motor Cars in Milton and take atour in there.

21. RacerRick

RacerRick

Well, in toronto, there is a cruise night almost every night until the end of september, there is the East end Rockabilty Riot this weekend, the Cadillac has good food, good music, and if the weather is nice, usually a couple of HAMB friendly cars parked nearby.

The Waterdown swap meet is the 26th/27th weekend, and Barrie is soo huge that it always has good stuff...its just been invaded by the socks, t-shirt, and garage sale vendors. It was last weekend but worth going to, not worth vending at.

22. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Roadmates Swap Meet Oct 4th. Applewood Plaza in Mississauga. Do a search..........I posted a thread on it with more info.

23. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

If you like Demo Derbys, Just head for any over pass crossing the DVP. Toronto has some of the worst drivers in Canada. The 427 pretty good too, but only after 3:00pm

24. Toner283

Toner283

25. RacerRick

RacerRick

You obviously have never driven in Montreal or Quebec city...