Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker tires Discussion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomPontiac, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod

No Ryan, not directed at you at all. Just at a lot of folks on this board in general whose attitudes changed when Coker became an alliance member. I didn't expect any censorship from you, I just didn't like the attitude of a few of the posters.

And just to say it again...I buy a lot of tires from Coker and don't intend to stop.

-Jeff Aldrich

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Discount Tire no longer warenties any tire they sell after 3 years. Ozone etc. kills rubber ! And radials rely on the rubber for a large part of their sidewall strenght. Ya want to run tires forever use bias as their sidewalls are much stronger.6 years of service and you are bitching ???? before a failure !!! I just replaced 2 fronts on my 65 Ranchero that were put in service 3 years ago, they had been on the car for 4-5 years just setting. They were weather checking and I also saw a curb bruse that was checked BAD, time to replace !!
    No matter WHO's tires you get a certain percentage are going to be NFG from the start. How many other kinds of parts ya bought in the 10-15 years that have been junk right out of the box.
    Tires-brakes etc, are CRITICAL inspect regulary and replace BEFORE failure.
    Rant OFF !!!

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I read this thread unbiased as never having "cokers". I read your thread, see your pic and think , "Wow! A new tire blew out, that is terrible". I read down to see that your tires are 9 years old, and trouble free for 6. How can you freak on decade old tires? NOTHING last forever!

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If they lasted me 6 years without any trouble, not a damn thing. I woulda bought new tires...

I wouldn't be driving my family around in a car with old ass tires on it...

Yep, I for the life of me can't figure out how a set of tires could last 6 years let alone some of them to 9. Does this car get driven at all?

I wouldn't put any blame on the distributor/manufacturer if tires lasted me 9 years, hell I'd jump for joy..

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry, I was prolly a little too defensive there.

6. And the irony is many folks here would throw a set of old NOS Englewoods on the open wheeled car!?

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Oh come on. Nine years old isn't that old for a tire. Only a tire salesman would judge a tire by it's age instead of taking a gander at it's physical condition. I'm driving 500x20s on my truck, Firestones sold by Coker, that are 7 years old, have about 7,000 miles on them and they are good and supple, nylon cord will last a lifetime, as long as they ain't left out in the sun to weather check. I have some ALLSTATE that must be at least 25 years old, that work good on my utility trailer.

Of course, I wouldn't try to get any adjustment on either if they broke.

Further, it depends where you drive the car. It's rare that a blown tire takes the car off the road, even at 65-70. Most of the time they give you warning. Driver skill/attention is more of a factor than tire age.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. Nimrod

Nimrod

Nothing to be sorry about. It's tough sometimes to word things right and not have it seemed aimed at every reader.

9. i recentley had a coker redline radial bulge at the tread center on a left front and that was a day after a diamondback redline separated on the rear. both had no sign of problems, excellent tread and were correct pressure. then i looked at the dates and both were over 10 yrs. car 1968 gto garage kept. my daily driver had pirelli's weather check and crack at 5 yrs. i think coker and the rest do their best but the ozone eats away at the whether from the outside or inside.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

11. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

I have the same wide white Coker radials on my 64 Olds. A couple years ago, when the tires were just about a year old, one blew out in the same way.

But Coker replaced the failed tire, and was good about it. No hassles. I'll be buying the next set from them again.

I have, however, heard this exact same failure in these particular radials several times from other people. So it does have me wondering about the design, manufacturing process, and observed failure rate -- now that they've been selling them for several years.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

9 years?
    well theres your problem....Next!

13. Ok lets say it happend in less than 4 years do you think a credit should be given or a new tire? And the tire is only half used.

14. Greasy64

Greasy64

Thanks Kustom Pontiac for posting your question. As a result I learned a little bit more about tires and the cars they're sittin' on. This is the reason I'm here. Too bad 3/4 of this thread has to be drama.

My constructive criticism would be that reguardless the brand,style, age, color,Tread design or how many burnouts. That sounds like a very small tire for a 60 Olds with the whole familyin it (5000 lbs+). I know Dr. Oldsmobile sold 'em with 14" wheels but they seem to me to be inadequate.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm not 'delusional' as you put it. Being quite aware of the condiotion of them I simply stated a fact about my tires.

Your post of a decayed tire, comparing it's condition to my tires that you have never seen is laughable.

Anyhow, since you have become a 'use efficiency" critic, how many miles a year should I drive to gain your approval?

16. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Most tire stores aren't going to replace or credit the tire after 30 days... feel very fortunate that Coker is not the average tire store... they care about this hobby and take care of us... I have a set of these same radials from Coker and would buy from them again...

17. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

ahhhhhhh. cheap entertainment (and a waste of time) to see grown men bickering about 9 year old tires :D

-scott noteboom

18. Swifster

Swifster

Personally, I don't think you should get anything more than a prorated credit based on the remaining tread, but that's only on a four year old tire. At 9 years, if they give you anything at this point it's a gift.

I purchased a set of Goodyear Polyglass GT E70-14's about 20 years ago for a '69 Plymouth Valiant. The worked just like the tires in the '60's and wore at the same rate. I got 25,000 miles before the cords started coming thru.

Vintage style tires use the same construction as they did 40 years ago. While the materials may be newer, the construction is the same. What does this mean? They fail the same way and under the same circumstances as they did 40 years ago. These are not 60,000 mile tires and they are not the same as new tires on your new car.

Tires are required to have the date of manufacture stamped into them for a reason. Ozone isn't a myth. The rubber starts to decompose the minute it comes out of the mold. It is a fact that tires should be replaced every 5 years. And it would be wise to check the tires before installing your new purchase. Some tires can be on the shelf for 5 years before being sold. This isn't the manufacturers fault, but that of the seller. Most companies will buy back old unused tires to avoid lawsuits.

This car is a '73 Corvette I looked at last year. The owner bought the car and was driving home with it and the left rear tire came apart. The other three tires were cracking as well and he was talked into replacing all four (the insurance company didn't cover the tire because it was the cause of the accident). The tires were 8 years old. These are modern, new construction type radial tires and they came apart because of age.

[​IMG]

Tires, when replaced under warranty by the manufacturer or in the case of an insurance loss, are prorated (depreciated) by mileage. If they were at 3/32", there would be little or no warranty left. If on an insurance claim, you'd get 30% of the cost of the tire.

My suggestion is to replace all four tires as a set. You might be able to save one as a spare, but use only the newest one. Check the date on the tires and replace them at four or five years. If they gave you anything on those tires consider it a gift and goodwill gesture. As for me, I'm looking forward to buying a set of red stripes for the Stude.

19. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Ummm...NO! 9 years is damn old for a tire! Two words: DRY ROT. Would you run tires you found sitting in a junkyard if they still had tread on them? I sure as hell wouldn't! Rubber doesn't have a ton of integrity. It won't last forever. Nothing does. Would you drink milk several years after its date? Same deal, everything expires. Coker or not Coker, 9 years is too damn old.

20. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Radials aren't safe... There's your proof. ;)

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Will you please stop posting this:mad:
    Every time I see it whatever I'm drinking comes outa my nostrils and goes all over the keyboard.

22. Truckedup

Truckedup

Do you all have problems with speciality tires? Maybe something is lacking in the construction or quality? Maybe no one checks air pressure? On my beat up daily drivers and vintage stuff I run radials bought from the local tire store.Never had a problem in maybe 30 years.All I can say is my vehicle's tires are always properly inflated and they usually wear out in 3 or 4 years.
    Not to say a tire won't blow tomorrow!

23. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Buuuuut if they went bad would they bitch:confused:

I would think that the tire should be pro-rated. It is only fair to pay for what you have used :rolleyes: Of course it would need to be inspected first

24. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

coker sucks, they use compunds that are too soft. Try Remington, or Goodyear