Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGRAFF, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

hey, im trying to figure out a couple things for a build i want to start. But i need some help.

The knowns of the build are -- 30/31 ford roadster, 383 sbc w/ 5 speed, 32 frame, and low as hell!! The motor/trany combo is not under discussion...sorry guys, dont even waste your time.

The question i have is regarding the deuce frame. I really want to build it like Bill Steele's 30 ford 5 window, and also Zack Normans 32 roadster that was on the cover of the newest HOTROD DELUXE (the Aviation Roadster). I think the frame was built by Hollywood Hotrods.

If Bill Steele is on the HAMB, please i want to talk to you. Also if Zack Norman or the guys from Hollywood Hot Rods are on the HAMB, i would love to talk to you guys. Everyone and any one else, you are also welcome.

The question is vague right now...HOW???? C's Z's S's -- How do you locate the proper places to cut? How do you keep the suspention locations? How in the hell can i make my roadster a low as yours?

Attached Files:

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Looks like folks are being shy. That usually means you're in for a beating, but I think yo are asking a question every builder faces at some point. I'll stay away from your individual style choices and talk about the process.

There are three ways to arrive at a stance and ride height.
    1. Using unmodified parts and putting together a proven combination that you saw used elsewhere.
    2. Using modified parts and experimenting, reworking as required to get what you want.
    3. Design it on paper or other medium to work out the math.

I suspect the guys you seek to emmulate work by option number 3. I built mine three or four different ways in a simple cad program before I even went out to the garage.

As to the style of metal craft, that is a purely stylistic question. You accomplish the same thing with a Z as you do with an S, offset of planes. What works stylisticly with your goal is a question only you can answer. It can be influenced by your idea of the finished product, your access to tools and your own skills. The guys not asking this question, and trying to do what you are, possess a lot of all three.

My advice, draw pictures of every piece of the puzzle and make them fit... (I have an 8' chalk board)

Or, copy everything from someone else.

3. troy is on here occasionally if you go under search:hhr (hollywoodhotrods) he might get back to you...

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

The rear wheel wells on the aviation Roadster have been raised. Rear tire to well fit is a real big deal IMO and sets the look of the car.

5. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I do not wish to copy the work done by others, i am only using their cars as a source of inspiration. I thought by getting some advice from experienced body and frame guys, that it would help me with the design process.

I have a idea on where and how to cut the frame rails, but the problem i have is how to locate all the proper places for the front and rear cross members. maybe someone has some drawings or pics of their z'd 1932 frame? that could help!!

The other question i have is should i use a 32 front cross member or a stock 30/31 front cross? why is one better than the other? the reason i ask is because ive seen Model A's running both and i've always wondered why.

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

7. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

wow thanks!

anyone wish to help??

8. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Not trying to be rude but seems like some of the stuff you're asking is pretty basic. Lots of guys on here are willing to help you out, but simple stuff like the difference between a Model A and '32 crossmember is easy enough to find on your own (search function works pretty good). And there's lots of threads on frame modifications too.

9. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

The best advice I can give you is. Go ahead and mock everything up. Set the body at ride height, put the motor where you want it. That will determine where everything else will have to be. Your question is a little hard to answer because there are so many different ways to set up a chassis.
    Mat

Here's a couple of deuce frame build ups to give you some ideas.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336494
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317988
    Also check out the Rolling Bones they build pretty low deuce frames.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

thanks so much that stuff is a huge help.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Here, I'll tell you in a few words: the A crossmember will make your car an inch lower than the stock '32.

12. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

So the answer to your question is going to be vauge.

...and the answer is... Get the tape measure out and get to work... There's no set location to "Z" a frame, there's a hundred things to factor in.

What type of suspension are you using? Coil overs? Coil springs? Leaf Spring? If so, Model A? Stock '32? A '40 Ford front spring? Paralell leaves? (can't spell).

How low do you want it? How much trunk space do you want?

There's alot of stuff to take into account...

Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

Attached Files:

13. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

If you channel the body it will sit lower. thats one way to get down closer to the ground

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Basic vague answer...
    Ride height,first need to know tire size
    30" tall rear tire,center at 15" + 1.5" (half of axle tube) + suspension travel,
    Where the rear Z goes depends on what rear suspension you plan on using.

For example a triangulated four bar,you'll want somewhere to attach the upper bars...
    or stock radius rods on a banjo need major clearance

The front rails you can start a uphill climb to get it low,start at the firewall..
    But you'll need the front end and tires..

I'm ramblin' does any of this help ya?
    Here's one we did for a 31 roadster on a 32 frame with 4" ride height..
    (keep in mind guys will help but not always give you their exact recipe,
    kinda like cooks,"it's chicken with paprika..")
    And four star chiefs can be more secretive

Attached Files:

15. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Not to hi-jack the thread, but any photos of the finished A on the '32 frame in the photo?

16. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

VAPHEAD ... you are a god!! That "bitch slap" frame is exacly what i was picturing in my head. Are the front of the frame rails sloped upward? It looks that way, if so, once you slope the rails as you like do you half to extend the rails to what ever the geomatry calls for then just plumb the front crossmember (0 degrees)?

17. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Zombie hr,no pictures of the roadster.I think he's saving it as a winter project.

jgraff, the rails climb uphill.did not extend them.
    Set the front crossmember in at desired % .
    The rear section was water jet cut..

can always build another one like it....PM me for info.

18. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

Hello, Mr Vaphead is a funny guy. BITCH-SLAP is a crack about my name hahaha. Ok here is a sneak pic (BITCH-SLAP). I'm going to get started this winter. She's hemi powered i think, maybe a flathead or Cadillac not sure yet. Eric knows his shit and he has the can do attitude just let him know what you want.

Attached Files:

• hemi.JPG
      hemi.JPG
      File size:
      450.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

here's one more.

Attached Files:

20. Check the ride height on my avitar!!
    Is this where you want to go ???

21. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

yeah that's really the look i want!!! Whats the story of that frame?

22. vext

vext
    from Venice

I'm sorry man _ (I'm Zack) I'm not that active in this community and I stumbled on this only now... I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have (if you still have 'em.)

23. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Call your dads buddy Jack S.