Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be careful boys....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Aug 16, 2009.

1. I was cutting a 8 3/4 diff out of a 67 Dodge this morning at a temperature around 30 celcius. All of a sudden I started to have trouble breathing,couldn,t focus and got really light headed. Seems I was having a mild heat stroke. Legs got real wobbly but I managed to get to some shade and some cold water to drink. Never thought much of it while I was working but damn it came over me like a tidal wave. If you are out hunting tin or stripping cars keep hydrated and pay attention! :eek:

2. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

I have been there and done that it is no fun by any means. Glad to hear that you are allright..

CJ

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hydrate or die! learned that on a mountain bike ride that took a lot longer than I thought. thought they were going to find me on the trail next to my bike with my eyes eaten by buzzards

4. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

Yeah, the heat is no joke. You should drink a 8 oz of water evry 15-20 minutes hen working in high heat...someone else can do the math on how many beers that is

5. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

My buddy had that just happen at work last week working on a roof while 100* F plus out. He said his piss was orange.. Felt bad for about 4 days or so.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when my brother was in the forest service he said theyd work a fire line until someone collapsed then everyone would take a break and drink water.

7. As an old desert rat I learned several lessons, drink water, wide brimed hat, loose fitting clothes that cover all your skin, no shirtless, bare head in direct sunlight...and save the beer till later in the day..

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I hear ya Ratmotor..its very hot and humid up this way..I have been working a few hours in the shop and than coming in the house (A/C) and getting something to drink, than going back out again.
    No welding today for me, and just doing the small stuff..im not going to act all macho..than end up with heat stroke or a dam heart attack,,,it aint worth it

9. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Thats 86 Fahrenheit.
    Get yourself a drink of whiskey and don't forget your pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast...:)

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Happened to me a few years back.Shingling a roof 100 degree day.Drinking tons of gatorade and water.Got massive headache and got sick as a dog .Puked for hours,The heat aint no joke. Stay inside if you can ,Run fans. It aint no joke.I even stopped sweating.Water and gatorade didn't work.I was only up their a couple of hours.My buddy was fine.I wont work outside on a hundred degree day.

11. Larry T

Larry T

When you STOP sweating is when you're in deep trouble. Time to sit down in the shade and drink some liquids. Beer and anything with caffeine don't count, I think they actually pull liquid from your system (aren't you more than a little thirsty the "morning after").
    Larry T

12. I've had this happen twice and you're right - it hits suddenly without warning. Now I follow some advice I got somewhere, to drink water every 20 minutes WHETHER YOU FEEL THIRSTY OR NOT! That last part is the key. Many times I've grabbed the water bottle thinking I really don't need a drink and end up guzzling the whole thing in one gulp - I was a LOT more thirsty than I thought. Now when I'm working in high heat (and this doesn't just mean summer) I keep a cooler with water close by, and I can feel the difference right away as soon as I take a drink. Also, beer and pop doesn't count, this is the time for water.

13. I have had this same thing happen to me at least once every summer. My reason is because of Blood Pressure medication that I take. It makes me susceptible to heat stroke much sooner than normal.

I take four different medications and I know more than one of them causes this.

If you are on blood pressure medication read the warnings about it and make watch it. It can come on quick.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I know this is nit picking but this is something that annoys the shit out of me. You DID NOT have heat stroke or any form there off.
    Heat stroke is just that, a stroke.
    On average 80% of people who suffer heat stroke die, the survivors have severe disability's afterward like one sided paralysis, speech difficulties, motor function deficits and other brain disorders. In short they are very fucked up.

You had heat exhaustion, very, VERY different thing.

Glad your alright though.
    Doc.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  15. and 84 freakin degrees?

Exercise a bit, jeeze, 2/3s the world goes through those temps in the coolest of warm months.

If you had issues at those temps, see your Doc. Serious.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS, Beer and any beverage containing alcohol is a diuretic, this means it causes your body to dump fluids. This is why you always need to piss more when your drinking. Dehydration and alcohol can kill you.
    Caffeine based drinks are also a diuretic, admittedly less than alcohol but it will fuck you up in heat if you don't also consume water and drinks containing electrolyte's.

Doc.

17. after being down in the desert (coachella valley) at 115+ for the last 45 days 69 degrees here in wa. is a welcome relief. if you had to go outside in the daylight you jumped in the shower fully clothed shoes included and got soaked dripping wet.then went out and got stuff done quick. about 12 min later you were bone dry even your shoes. it was 100 at night! i was sure putting the new ac unit to the test as it ran almost constantly to keep the house 80 degrees. sure makes you admire the soldiers that are in the middle east fighting at 130+ with gear.

18. moter

moter

Are your a "real" Doctor? just wondering :)

86F =30c theres no way in the world you could make it in Texas!!! We have had 40 plus days over 100 ..

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Hahaha...

OK, I wont make fun of him.

I wouldn't be able to handle his winters...

20. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

If you really get dehydrated, try pedalite, I know it's marketed for kids but that shit really works. A paramedic friend of mine told me about it, it is also the greatest for a hangover.

BTW Don't come to Las Vegas if you think 86 is hot.

21. Mac_55

Mac_55

86 degrees out and your Getting light headed ?

Dammer boys , get out in the sun a little bit and sweat. We dont stop driving stakes out in the sun till it gets over 100. And then we start pouring concrete. 86 degrees is a good weather workin day . Guess some folks just aint built for it.

22. It was more the humidity than the heat but I was under a car on my trailer using the cutting torches at the time.Black car,black trailer parked on an asphalt parking lot at work.I,m not out of shape either.....

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No not a Doctor, I am a Paramedic and an Emergency Nurse. I also served 10 years as an Army Medic here in Australia so with our heat this is pretty basic stuff that we get taught to deal with.
    As for the 'Doc' nick name? If you get accepted as a medic (ie, are good enough) you get called that by your soldiers.

Doc.

24. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Out here in Las Vegas 115 F (46 C) is not uncommon just be prepared and/or start working long before the sun gets real high. You would not believe how hot tools and parts can get when sitting in the sun for only a few minutes.

25. silent rick

silent rick

i know the feeling. we started the day at 4:00AM when upper 90's were expected. we finished the hvac rough-in by 11:00 and started cleaning up when it was remembered that we ran short on duct at the house next door. i just had to hop up in the rafters and connect both ends of some 14 inch flex. shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. i was lucky to make it down. that's when i noticed i had stopped sweating and my ears were ringing. i let the other guys finish cleaning up. i sat in the truck with the a/c on drinking water. it was probably 130 if not hotter up in the rafters.

26. RichG

RichG

Everyone's body reacts differently to heat. At one time I worked in an aluminum smelter (well over 200 degrees-measured). I could go out on my day off and mow the lawn in 100+ weather with no problem. After a couple of heat exhaustion events at the smelter I can no longer tolerate the heat (or the humidity).

Just because you're acclimated to the heat, don't assume the person next to you is.
    ...and especially don't laugh at them, because someday that could be you:D Drink lots of water, very little Gatorade or such, eat bananas, take potassium tabs, don't be stupid...

27. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I hate the heat....I did the heat exhaustion thing years ago while putting 27 posts in the ground for my deck on a hot day, i noticed i went from being hot and sweating to having chills!!! Went and sat in the basement for a while then put the post hole digger away for the day.I like to work in temps under 65 and all the guys bragging about handling the heat should come here in January and work outside with me, i gotta laugh when i hear guys whining about being cold at 40 degrees, that's still tee shirt weather here...:D

28. hotflint

hotflint

HAHAHAHA
    Where he is from in canada at that temp its like 90 percent humidity as well so it feels twice as hot

29. Edian

Edian
    from Idaho

idk about u guys but a bowl every couple hours help with the heat, but u gotta have he water. my father-in-law cant handle the heat anymore, we get up 7 or 8 and work till about 11, and then work again after 5 till its dark, seems a good way of doing things.

30. SDFastOne

SDFastOne
    from Pierre,SD

Don't let the beer get warm.