Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheres the best place to get cheater slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 rattrap, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SDFastOne

SDFastOne
    from Pierre,SD

Hurst. Like negativematt says " Buy Hurst"

2. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

How does the bead have anything to do with the RECAP coming loose ALL the way around the tire?

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

First off, I know nothing about this case, but I have mounted a few tires in my life. Bead damage like that is usually the result of a poorly lubricated rim and bead, porous or damaged rim, etc. and then using excessive air pressure to force the tire to seat. That could easily be related to the cap coming loose around the edges. What do you think happens to a cap when you over pressure and swell the casing?

things that make you say hmmmm....

4. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

Thats what i thought when he said it was the bead that did it.....Hmmmmmmm indeed!
    Because I have some that the beads are perfect on that are coming apart all around the casing.

5. Diamond Back. I know one of the fellas from ther is here on the HAMB but I don't recall who he is.

I've seen 'em up close and I like the devil out o 'em.

6. Hey what do ya'll think of these Hurst 10.50' x 30's mounted on 15 x 9.75" rims. The tread is concave.

I went out of my way to find 10" rims for 10" tires and it turns out the really need an 8.5" rim. Spreading the bead makes makes the case bow in. I wish it said that on Hurst's website. There is a car in the current street rodder that has these on 10" rims. I can see the same thing happening but it doesn't look as severe.

I am wondering if I should run them and try to "burn them flat" or will that not work?

Just a heads up, you need an 8.5 rim to run the hurst 10.50 x 30 slick. I think they look killer, I just don't think they'll have a good patch.

check them out next to a firestone 8.50 x 15 on a 8.5" rim. The firestone's ride and hook pretty good.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You don't have to damage the bead to over pressure one, nor does a cap separate only with over pressure. Running low pressure and cornering hard can do the same thing. Over reving a tire, can do it. You've seen the jokers at the track that turn a tire to 8000 rpm in 4th doing a burn out.

Most of all, you need to recognize the difference between the seam becoming visible and actual searation. An 1/8" lift at the edge is not likely to become a real issue. When it does, proper communication with the dealer is your first action, then hand them a tire that WAS NOT damaged during mounting, balancing, mis-use or abuse. I don't know many race tire makers that warranty a tire in competition use, but they do support racers and they want to know how their product hold up. Attitude is everything.

8. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

"An 1/8" lift at the edge is not likely to become a real issue."
    You have got to be kidding right?
    Ive drag raced for years and road raced for a a few more than that.
    I have probaly bought hundreds of tires if not thousands.
    IVE NEVER HAD ONE with the tread separate from the case.
    Had one with a bubble come up on it and pop, then a customer calls me and tells me one of his is coming apart (less than 200 miles) it was my "customer service" to buy the set back from him, my coin.
    Got to looking closer at another set i have....guess what?
    Now i have 3 Hurst slicks from 3 sets im having issues with.
    Im working with Cody on them as we speak, let you know the outcome.

9. Clik

Clik

I've been waiting on Radir's new 12:00 X 16s to come in. Radir is waiting on Mickey Thompson which is their supplier. They have up to 10:00 X 16 now. They are new rubber and not caps. I don't know if anyone else carries 1200 X 16s. I think 8" was the limit by track rule back in the pie crust days wasn't it? Oh well, who can resist the more is better syndrome?