Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need you .02 on a box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alex1954chevy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. I'm a Snap-on guy all the way but i'd never pay what they want for a new box. Check with the Snap-on truck. All my boxes have been used ones that they took on trade from guys lookin' to upgrade to bigger boxes. I always did well compared to the price of new. Also in this economy, the dealers gotta have some repo'ed boxes (sad but true) either themselves or through corporate.

2. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Matco, Snapon and Mac all make good boxes. However they were all about equal until a few years ago. Matco dominates with an extrememly high quality box. The snapon and mac will sag if overloaded. Which happens alot more than youd think it would. Hell ive seen a demonstration where about 400lbs was plopped down ontop of a smaller drawer and operated smoothly still! The matco boxes are boxed on the rails that go up and down as where the snapon isnt and can crush...trust me ive seen it. Snapon actually claimed that the Matco boxes were "over engineered" which i dont see that its a bad thing at all. But like i said, the big 3 are all a good box, the Matco boxes are just alot better in my opinion.

3. bubba57

bubba57
    from k

Matco boxes are the way to go. They are alot more sturdy that Mac, Snap-on. I prefer snap-on for tools but will only go with Matco for a box.

4. rodknocker

rodknocker

I'm not a snap on dealer, I just think their product is superior. I haven't had any rust issues with my box.I've had it about 8 years without a single problem.I have seen a friend of mines matco box break at the seams when he was moving it around the shop.I do agree, look for used boxes first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25GPForiKs

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Step out of the ordinary. I have a Lista, they make labratory storage cabinets. They make some of the nicest tool boxes in the world. They are also cheaper than Mac or Snapon. The drawers have replaceable roller bearings, six or them per drawer. They will hold several hundred pounds of tools/ drawer and divider kits are available. As well as wood tops,rubber tops,rails around the edge of the top. They are very heavy though. The box by itself is more than two guys can pick up, you need a forklift. With the drawers out two guys can pick it up.

6. moter

moter

I have had two Snap-on boxes. Nothingbeats the quality. I would look at pawn shops,snap on truck for used ones,ebay sometimes will have good deals.

7. fireguy976

fireguy976
    from to

Instead of the name of the brand, here are a couple things as far as "style" goes.

When I bought my boxes years ago, the base under the lid was not made deep the way they are now. The new boxes you can buy are much deeper up top, and you can place the socket holders that hold the sockets on end, with the imperial and metric numbers on the central spikes the sockets sit on, and still close the lid. Its really nice to see all the sockets up top without going into drawers.

From there Id look at what type of tools I have and use and figure out what other drawer sizes I need. The ball bearing slides are a must though.

Soom of the deep bottom drawers I find a waste. I would have rather had more half wide drawers as well for separating specialty tools.

But the deep top tray under the lid for stand up sockets would be a must for me.
    Also Id go the S/S route this time.

Cheers
    KJ

8. pompadour

pompadour

mac macsimizer

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do shops not supply tools? Every shop I have seen here supply's tools for the workshops, seems kinda wrong that you have to bring your own tools to work!!
    Doc.

10. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I don't wrench for a living but, I've had the same Craftsman boxes since I was 15 years old . I'm knocking on 40 now. I even bought a bottom chest on Clearence at Sears when I was working in a body shop. It was a floor model .
    I was dinged up but , I didn't care. They are all filled to the top and served me well.
    I like the Kobolt line if I ever decide to replace them I'm going to get one of those.

11. rodknocker

rodknocker

99% of the shops here in the states do not supply tools, only the larger stuff like engine hoists and tranny jacks other than that, you're on your own.To spend 20k on tools here is about a minimum to be an everyday mechanic.However the shops do supply some of the manufacturer specific tools if they haven't walked off into someone elses box, which is normal too.

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa