Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what to do??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by myride2, Aug 14, 2009.

1. myride2

myride2
    from canada

if you could get these cars, would u think it would be worth while to restore 1,heres some pics i took today.if any1 knows what year they might be? theres 2 what looks to be identical cars only 1 is stripped down more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Well, to get the answer to that question, you may want to go to a restoration board. We could tell ya what it's worth to someone that wants to cut them up and make a fantabulous contraption :)

3. i'll guess early 50's ....of course you know it's Hudson

what's under the hood? no pic's of that?

4. JAYNE COBB

JAYNE COBB
    from Wichita Ks

looks like 51 or 52. Hudsons are cool no matter how many doors

5. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

not a big fan of the hudson, especially of the 50's...just another copy of the mercury.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hmmmm...doesn't that Rocket with the H over it have some tale to tell?
    MIGHT be worth looking under the hood of that one!
    Cool cars!

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Hudsons had a good following back in the 50's, but I don't think that they are popular today; or you would see a lot more of the on the road restored.

Before you decide to restore a car like this, figure out what it would be worth finished. If you don't have to put much money into it then restoring it might be a viable option. If you are going to make a custom, then it is different calculation.

I like to think if I have invested some money in a car, I might be able to get some or most of my money back out of it, it I had to sell it.

8. Of course, the step down Hudson came out in 1948, the Merc that resembles it in 1949, but who needs facts?

With a Hudson check the rear half of the frame out, they like to rot and they're unibody, so you need to be handy with box tube and a welder to replace them. Most of the ones I've dealt with rust at the kickup for the rear axle, and just ahead of the rear bumper bracket, especially on the left side. Coupes are harder to find and that would be nice to build, the sedan doesn't look bad just as it is. The coupe must be a '50 or older with the small window, the sedan has to be 50-52 with that grille.

Hudsons have a decent following and some parts availability, they're one of the better handling '50s cars also. They're no harder to build than any other '50s cars other than a lack of bolt-on parts availability.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd venture to say there is a gold mine there in Hudson parts. Do some research before you throw any of it away or modify it. Other than the more-doors, Hudson's can be made into some cool customs, eh? Gary

10. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Oh a Hudson im so sorry for you.
    You really do not want those hudson engines they are boat anchors.
    You should just pull the engines and put a sbc in it that cures everything then while you are at it you can send the engines to me.:D

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Old Hudsons are cool. Lots of possibilities; restore, full custom, NASCAR replica, an endless variety. I say they are a great find.

12. myride2

myride2
    from canada

thanks for the info.i really would like to save 1 of these cars.i can remember riding in my fathers hudson hornet when i was kid,

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ILL take it. I don't have one but they are cool.

14. slepe67

slepe67

+1 :)

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you have to ask then you don't have the disease bad enough to complete such a project. You will probably have more invested in it than you can sell it for so it has to be a labor of love and I don't sense the love. man.:D When you find something that just sets your hair on fire then you have a chance.

16. erlomd

erlomd

I would say for the sake of being different and being such a not so talked about car...I think go for it....I love it....would make a great restoration on kustom.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say any car older than 1960 that looks as solid as the blue one is a worthwhile project for someone. but if you have to ask it prolly isn't you.

18. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

i'd scoop that up for sure.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

hudson is the bomb yo

i'd trade most of my stuff outright for one in half decent shape.

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

hudson had some of the coolest lines of the time. excellent sled potential.
    how much can you get it for?

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Twin H Power is the dual carb setup everybody looks for.

22. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

Don't ask me...my son is obsessed with the movie Cars!

Attached Files:

23. myride2

myride2
    from canada

Sklar8 and i picked up the cars and moved them to my place.this is the first real chance that i've had a close look at the bodies of both.My ? is the roof on the parts car is perfect,the other more complete car is caved.Would u use the body with the good roof as the base or would u go with the non rusted floor pan in the other with the caved roof? I would think that it might be less work to replace the floor pan and salvage the car with the near perfect roof.Or maybe if its decided that the one with the caved roof would be best to use if the sub structure is better then the other.With all the expertise on this board some one must have run into this dilemma.Any response to this not so unique suggestion would be appreciated